- Catholics for Choice responds to the Pope’s recent thoughts on “the woman question.” Well worth reading.
- An article in the Times reports another cost of our absurb lack of decent single-payer care: higher unemployment. Faced with the fast-rising costs of healthcare, employers are choosing not to hire. Yet another way we’d be better off if health insurance was automatic, instead of being connected to employment.
- The New York Times provides an amazingly useless article on the new overtime regulations. It points out that critics claim that Bush’s new rules will cut off up to six million workers from overtime; the Bush administration claims that’s all lies; and the article provides the readers with absolutely no context to help decide which side is right.
It reminds me of this cartoon I drew back in 2003.
As Matthew Ygelsias points out, we can pretty safely assume that anything favored by the Chamber of Commerce and opposed by the AFL-CIO is going to have a net effect of cutting wages and increasing profits. But it would be nice to read a more substantial analysis of the competing claims about the new law.
- I can’t even describe Ken Layne’s post “The God of War, Death & Madness,” but I’ll provide a quote.
“In Vietnam, Kerry is a death’s head of gruesome power, while your Bush hides in Alabama, a scared little girl. And what did little Bush do in Texas?”
Blair grinned, foolishly thinking the ball was again in his court. “He killed many people in Texas. All those executions ….”
“Ha! Your girly Bush killed nobody. He signed off on lethal injections. He’s a middle manager in a cubicle at the suburban branch of the Bank of Death, initialing memos he doesn’t even know how to read.”
- If you don’t know about bugmenot.com you should. Never register to read free online news content again – just get a working password from this brilliant site.
- You must check out the winners of the 2004 Worst Manual Contest. Sample quote from the winning manual: “To apply the cold wind to the body for a longtime and so as to not exist about cooling too much.” Via – o, heck, I lost it.
- “He” and “him” are not gender-neutral pronouns. If you disagree, explain why the sentence “Was it your father or your mother who broke his leg on a ski trip?” doesn’t work.
- The Head Heeb reminds us that it’s less than three weeks until the 350th anniversary of the arrivial of the first Jews in North America.
- Kip discusses the book The Compleat Gentleman. Fave quote: “There is something rather perfectly disingenuous about writing a book that insists lording it over everyone else is within the reach of us all.” But the whole thing will repay your reading efforts.
- Via Kip, this brilliant little quicktime movie – Fuck New York - cracked me up completely. And while I’m stealing links from Kip, this quicktime movie of young men acrobatically jumping from building to building (among other things) is extremely cool.