Monday Baby Blogging – Using the Phone

As you may have noticed, it’s been weeks since Maddox was born and I’m still posting photos of Sydney in the hospital. Well, there was a lot of time to pass there, and precious little to pass it with other than a 23-month-old baby and a camera.

Like every baby I’ve ever met, Sydney is a big fan of phones.

Sydney on the phone

Her phone use has become more sophisticated through time. She used to just pick ‘em up and babble; now she dials before talking.

Sydney on the phone

Since this was a hospital phone, the sociopath that lives in the back of my mind was rooting for Sydney to punch in some emergency code or other. I think Syndey would have really enjoyed it if some button she pressed caused alarms to go off or lights to flash. Alas for both her and the evil part of my brain, it never happened.

Sydney on the phone

Here, the phone started making its “off the hook” beeping, which Sydney listened to with great interest and zero comprehension.

In case you’re wondering about those blue marks all over her: No matter how many toys and crayons we bring, Sydney tends to prefer playing with things she finds. Apart from the phone, one of the few things in the hospital that held Sydney’s interest was a dry-erase marker.

Sydney on the phone

When she’s done with the phone, Sydney says “bye” into it before hanging up. It’s sickeningly cute.

This entry posted in Baby & kid blogging. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Monday Baby Blogging – Using the Phone

Robert says:

Dang, this is still a cute toddler. I could eat her in three bites. She’s a polite child, too. Good on her.

One of Stephanie’s toys is a two-foot-tall Dora doll that talks and dances. When it’s turned on, it regularly invites her (well, anyone in earshot) to “come dance with me” or “let’s have a fiesta!” Stephanie always responds to this by turning to the doll and saying “no thank you, Dora.”

Anna in Cairo says:

Awwww! Mine are both teenagers now. I miss this stage at times. But my 14 year old still uses his hand to write important stuff on (like his female friends’ phone numbers and e-mails).

AndiF says:

Next up — tattoos!

Nick Kiddle says:

Just a random question about baby blogging – do I get to post pictures of the Cute Li’l Parasite when it becomes parasitical no longer? I need to know whether I should take my digital camera into hospital with me.

Also, if the CLP ends up half as cute as Sydney, I’ll be happy.

Idyllopus says:

She’s a beautiful little girl.

Looks like a studied expression of, “Oh, uh hum, really…” to me. Will suit her well as a teen. The more mature set will believe she was listening to whatever they were telling her and talk about how smart she is as opposed to those other teens who never pay any attention.

Dianne says:

“I need to know whether I should take my digital camera into hospital with me.”

Yes! You’ll want pictures whether you put up baby blogging pictures or not. Just make sure you give the camera to someone you trust so that pictures of you in labor don’t get taken without your permission.

If readers get a vote in whether you baby blog or not, put me down for one yes, please do!

Nick Kiddle says:

It looks like no-one’s going to be in the delivery room except me and the midwives, and I suspect the midwives will have better things to do than take pictures of me while I’m in labour. The best I can hope for is that someone will agree to take a quick snap or two of the CLP lying bloody on my stomach once the worst of the work is done.

Bring your digital camera and ask! I’m sure it’s not an uncommon request. Kim (bv!) had Matt with her, but Matt didn’t take the picture in the delivery room, one of the other folks there did.

And whether or not you get immediate post-birth photos, of course you have to baby blog! We’d all be disappointed if you didn’t. Plus, it takes the pressure off of me. :-)

Probably you’ve said and I’ve forgotten, but when is CLP due?

Nick Kiddle says:

Probably you’ve said and I’ve forgotten, but when is CLP due?

Next Tuesday is the due date, but since I’m having it naturally it will turn up whenever in this month it sees fit. Here endeth the thread hijack ;)

Kim (basement variety!) says:

I think we’d be more upset if you didn’t, Nick! Looking forward to getting a glimpse of your upcoming menace arrival (beloved menace that is!).

Barry didn’t mention, but got great amusement (along with the other uncles on patrol) out of Sydney repeatedly pulling the emergency cord in the bathroom. Yes, they tied it off, but they would generally be both laughing and apologizing each time Sydney figured out how to bypass the newest obstacle on pulling the big read emergency cord.

PurpleRose says:

“No matter how many toys and crayons we bring, Sydney tends to prefer playing with things she finds. Apart from the phone, one of the few things in the hospital that held Sydney’s interest was a dry-erase marker.”

I’ve often noticed that children love — just love — the packing boxes that toys come in. The toys sit on the floor (or wherever) after the presents are opened while the child is sitting in the box, or carrying it, or stacking boxes…

BTW, the pictures are great and Sydney is so cute.

Nick Kiddle says:

I’ve often noticed that children love … just love … the packing boxes that toys come in.
    My brothers’ favourite was bubble wrap. It used to drive their dad mad – he would spend all his hard-earned cash on some fancy toy, and they’d play for hours with the bubble wrap.