I don’t have time to compose a post, but I want to post some links.
I can’t resist quoting Darkrose at Pam’s House Blend: Blame the Brown People = Recipe for Failure
There’s no question that homophobia is a problem in the black community, especially the churchgoing segment of said community. And even though I understand why Obama (and all of the other serious Democratic candidates) weaseled on marriage equality, that doesn’t mean I’m not disappointed in him for not taking a strong stand against 8.
At the same time, I’m frustrated and angry by the rush to pin this defeat on African Americans. It wasn’t a black group that put Prop 8 on the ballot, and paid the signature-gatherers and bankrolled the ads. Nor is it fair to say that Obama’s have-it-both-ways position meant that black voters were going to march sheeplike to the polls and vote as Obama dictated.
Writing off an entire race as hopelessly unenlightened isn’t going to help; in fact, a lot of the rhetoric I’ve seen in the left blogosphere tonight is only going to serve to reinforce the idea that “gay” = “white”, and that the gay community only notices people of color when there’s a comparison to the Civil Rights Movement to be made. And the Blame the Brown People push leaves those of us who are queer people of color marginalized by both of our communities.
And, in no particular order:
- The Kitchen Table: Black Folks And The Passage Of Prop 8
- Vivirlatino: More Prop 8 Black And Latino Blaming
- Bilerico Project: Black Voters Not To Blame If Proposition 8 Passes
- Bilerico Project: Our Choice on Prop 8 and African Americans: Reckless Carping or Productive Change?
- Pam’s House Blend: Ballot initiatives provide a wake up call to the LGBT community about race
- Bilerico Project: Race, sexuality, and Proposition 8
- Pam’s House Blend: Historically Black Homophobia
- Racialicious: Dan Savage on Black Homophobia (I don’t support Savage’s article, to say the least, but I’m linking this for the excellent Racialicious comment section.)
Edited to add more links:
(I strongly disagree with much of Jasmyne’s post, but I’m linking it because there are some great critiques of her post in the comments section.)