Brinicles: Horrifying, but very cool to watch in a sped-up nature video.
- Congrats to my friend Jake Richmond (colorist of Hereville) for winning the Drunk Duck 2011 Best Overall Strip Award for Modest Medusa. That would be impressive at any time — but the first year of the strip? Awesome!
- Voices Carry. Excellent in-depth article by a friend of mine, about people who hear voices and are forming Hearing Voices self-help groups. Apparently these groups have been pretty common in the UK but are just beginning to establish a toehold in the USA.
- Yesterday, I fantasized about buying a Roomba. Then I realized that I have cats who sometimes vomit and poop outside the litter box. Gross enough on its own, but add a Roomba and it gets much, MUCH grosser. Just sayin’.
- Krugman argues that we could raise revenue by $78 billion per year by raising taxes on the wealthy. In contrast, raising the Medicare eligibility age — a favorite suggestion of many conservatives and some Democrats — would save $42 billion a year. In another post, he cites a study suggesting that a top rate of 70% would maximize revenue.
- Europe’s economy looks likely to take a major hit — and it’ll take the US down with it.
- Driven By Drug War Incentives, Cops Target Pot Smokers, Brush Off Victims Of Violent Crime
- What the evidence says about pepper spray safety – Boing Boing
- The War on Drugs Is Reducing Marriage Rates. “…this paper finds that about 13% of the decline in marriage since 1990 can be explained by male incarceration. …about 18% percent of the decline in marriage rates among black women can be explained by incarceration.”
- 5 Old-Timey Prejudices That Still Show Up in Every Movie | Cracked.com
- In Defense of Divorce | Dollars and Sex | Big Think
- Five reasons Community could see season four. | TV | Newswire | The A.V. Club. “Community” is my second-favorite sit-com right now, after “Parks and Recreation.” I’ve just started watching “Raising Hope,” which I’m enjoying, and I’m giving up on “Big Bang Theory” and “2 Broke Girls.”
- The “Parenting Problem” is a “Poverty Problem” – Dana Goldstein
- If I were to spend $250 on a horrifying mask to wear, this would be the one .
- A couple of lawyers from the National Center For Lesbian Rights argue that the CA Supreme Court was wrong to allow prop 8 sponsors to have standing to appeal. I don’t agree with them, but I think this is the most persuasive argument I’ve yet read on their side of this issue.
- Nadim Damluji’s critique of Orientalism in Craig Thompson’s Habibi.
- Blabbeando: Stunning LGBT campaign ads from Argentina
- Last but not least: