This is an open thread — post what you like. Don’t post what you don’t like. Wiggle your bare toes in the pond. And feel free to self-link.
- Prison Rape in Popular Media « Law Journal for Social Justice A good post by our old “Alas” friend Raznor.
- It’s neat how the Onion did a perfect satire of Gene Marks’ incredibly clueless “if I were a poor black child” piece so many years before it was published. An Open Letter To A Starving Child
- But if you read just one response to that piece, make it this one: A Muscular Empathy – Ta-Nehisi Coates
- The Poor Black Kid Tumblr is also pretty funny.
- “The border wall now stretches across Arizona in the easiest places to cross, so that migrants are purposefully funneled into the most treacherous conditions. The remains of over 6,000 human bodies have been found in the desert since militarized immigration policies started in the mid 1990s.”
- Rich People Create Jobs! And five other myths that need to die for our economy to recover.
- The Non-Problem Of Online Piracy “In the absence of serious evidence that the public is suffering from some kind of content drought, I think we have ample reason to oppose new strong IP rules…”
- The Gender Ternary: Understanding Transmisogyny | Gender Agenda
- QUOTE: “I heard a speech by Noam Chomsky who said that corporations are like super humans. They cannot be hurt like a human can and they never die. They are not susceptible to scrutiny or accountability. This makes them more profitable. If companies want to enjoy these benefits to some degree they have to live with what else comes with being not human. You miss out on compassion, forgiveness, comraderie, empathy, trust — all kinds of shit.”
- 50 best photos from The Natural World – The Big Picture – Boston.com
- Natural Hair Group Gives Away 40 Barbie Dolls with Natural Hair Makeover – COLORLINES
- Which Countries Fail the Most at Climate Leadership? | ThinkProgress
- The evidence on Unemployment Insurance | Jared Bernstein | On the Economy
- Supreme Court Could Tilt US House Majority
- The Civil War happened, in part, because people on both sides couldn’t picture what war would be like.
- Boycotting the All-American Muslim, and why we should boycott boycotts in general.
- Search “let it snow” at Google
- I didn’t really get the point of this video until about 30 seconds into it, and then I went “whoooa!”