Sorry I’ve been so inactive on “Alas” lately. It’s a pretty simple math: 10-12 hours a day spent working on Hereville means less time (and, probably more importantly, fewer spoons) for blogging.
My deadline for this books is August 6th, but I’m hoping to be done by sometime in July. Meanwhile, I’m hoping to find a way to post regularly, if not frequently.
- Jena Sheriff Seeks Revenge for Civil Rights Protests That article is sort of the background for Requiem for Catrina, a really excellent article by one of the Jena 6′s lawyers about why this new outrage has been pretty much ignored nationwide.
- Compassion for Evil – a blog post arguing for humanizing pedophiles.
- “Machete Order” — the correct order to watch the Star Wars films in. He makes a good argument.
- “An Iranian nuclear bomb will not pose a existential threat to the United States, but it will bring home a reality that most politicians in Washington have learned to ignore over the years: Iran is a major regional actor that wants a seat at the table.”
- She Has No Head covers, once again, the great debate over if male and female characters in mainstream superhero comics are equally sexualized because both are drawn with idealized bodies in skintight outfits (or less). The answer is no. As a comic book artist, I always finds this debate depressing to read, because it seems that a lot of comic book fans are actually incredibly insensitive to reading even obvious nuances of comic book art.
- Stephanie Greene is being charged with murder. Her crime? Breastfeeding her newborn.
- Archie gay marriage comic sells out in face of boycott call.
- Learning the Right Lessons From the Philadelphia Abortion Clinic Disaster | RH Reality Check
- How Kermit Gosnell Got Over—and Poor Women of Color Paid the Price – COLORLINES
- 22 U.S. senators call for marriage equality plank in Dem platform
- Who Is the Aggressor in the Culture Wars? – Conor Friedersdorf
- Cheering on the Nightmare Scenario: Why it would be a good thing if Republicans, next time they’re a majority in the Senate, get rid of the filibuster rule.
- Right versus pragmatic – Marco.org A good post (with illustrations!) about illegal file sharing.
- Why people should be allowed to erase memories
- Some left-wingers are sexist asshats. (Credit to RonF for the link.)
- Trademark laws, PYREX vs pryrex, and glass cookware that explodes when you heat it. (Again, thanks to RonF).