- The zombie infant mortality explanation | The Incidental Economist It’s just not true that the US has lousy infant mortality statistics because We Care More, or because those horrible people in Europe don’t love babies and just let them die, etc.. We genuinely have a higher infant mortality rate. But conservatives would rather deny than admit the problem.
- Jim Crow 2.0? Why States Consider and Adopt Restrictive Voter Access Policies What predicts if a state enacts anti-voting bills isn’t the preponderance of voting fraud, but rather elements like how much Black voting participation has been increasing in that state. What a coincidence!
- ‘More Than Accidents, Cancer, Malaria, And War Combined’ | Feminist Critics A bad feminist statistic that’s been circulating and should be avoided.
- Video Recording Captures Rampant Stop-And-Frisk Abuse In Miami Gardens | ThinkProgress Cops repeatedly harassing black employees for “loitering” while they were at their jobs, among other abuses.
- Being a Feminist means more than just agreeing that women are human.
- Kip discusses the Disney movie Frozen. The post, about the rules of fairy-tales and what the Disney thought they had to do to make their best song, “Let It Go,” fit into the story is very interesting. I hadn’t known about “Life’s Too Short,” an argument song between the two sisters that was cut from the story, but now I’m convinced the movie would have been much better had they left it in. (You can listen to both songs at Kip’s post.)
- Something Fierce | Marian Call
- 100 Years of Breed “Improvement” | Science of Dogs
- Colorado Judge: Bakery That Refused Wedding Cake To Same-Sex Couple Broke The Law | ThinkProgress
- American men’s hidden crisis: They need more friends! – Salon.com
- Ted Rall’s Cartoons Censored At Daily Kos. I think “censored” is an exaggeration – Kos has every right to set its own standards and decide not to carry Ted’s work until Ted changes how he draws Obama. But I also think that Ted’s cartoons don’t actually have the hallmarks of racist caricature, and his version of Obama doesn’t look like a monkey or ape. But on the other hand, I haven’t loved how Ted’s been defending himself – most of his comments make the issue about Ted’s good intentions, which shouldn’t be the issue.
- Saving Mr. Banks Is a Corporate, Borderline-Sexist Spoonful of Lies
- How the Decline of Unions Has Increased Racial Inequality
- Earth’s Quietest Place Will Drive You Crazy in 45 Minutes | Smart News I was in a soundproof recording studio last month, and just chatting in the room for five minutes made me feel squirrly.
- Fox News: Did 17 illegal voters in Ohio steal the 2012 election? Short answer: No.
- Utah Is on Track to End Homelessness by 2015 With This One Simple Idea | NationSwell And for a more in-depth discussion of the same basic idea, see Malcolm Gladwell’s article Million-Dollar Murray, and this New York Times article on Drunk Houses.
- is there such a thing as static teacher quality? | Fredrik deBoer Really, the question is “is there such a thing as static teacher quality which we can meaningfully measure in a quantitative fashion? And so far, the answer appears to be “no.”
- Justine Sacco’s aftermath: The cost of Twitter outrage. This article by Roxane Gay is by a large margin the best reaction to the Sacco kerfuffle that I read.
- Corporate media’s rape problem: Supporting the stars, ignoring the charges – Salon.com
- The N-Word, White People, and The Garden of Eden “And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every word that is pleasant and unpleasant to the ear, but there was one word in the middle of the garden, and that word was the n-word.”
- One Weird Old Trick to Undermine the Patriarchy Or, Bilbo was a girl.
- On Not Holding Our Models Sacred: Some Feminist Theories And Their Flaws » Brute Reason This is quite a long article, but worth it, imo.
- Same-Sex Marriage, The Legal Deluge : The New Yorker Nutshelled summaries of some of the major cases currently in the system.
- Windsor expanded in Ohio ruling : SCOTUSblog The Ohio ruling – that Ohio has to recognize an out-of-state same-sex marriage for cases involving the death of one of the spouses – could have a lot of long-term significance. Especially if we go through a long period of some-states-recognizing-while-other-states-don’t.
- Gaming Gay marriage and the Supreme Court: Which cases will make it?
- JUF News : The real story behind the orange on the seder plate. Yeah, it’s not exactly the season for posting this, but Grace just showed me this yesterday and I thought some of the interpretation of an orange’s growing signficance was neat.
- Obama’s unpardonable record on issuing pardons. To issue eight pardons and then say you’re concerned about overcrowding is an obscene joke.
- A New Low: Vaginal Probes At The Border We are living in a police state, and most Americans seem quite willing to acquiesce to that, as long as the odds of us in particular being the ones involuntarily probed and then charged $5000 for it remain low.
- Obama, Democrats push for extension of unemployment benefits. This is one of those stories that just make me despair; not just for the Republicans, who are inexcusable and have lost touch with basic compassion, but for the Democrats, who have not pushed one-tenth as hard on this as they should have. Edited to add: The Democrats are finally pushing hard on this – after unemployment has lapsed – so yay for that.
- Final Rule on Workplace Wellness Programs: A Look at the Implications for Consumers – CCF – Center For Children and Families I think this is an area of Obamacare that is very likely to become a tool for enforcing lots of anti-fat discrimination. Sigh.
- How Some Men Harass Women Online and What Other Men Can Do to Stop It
- Outing a Rapist
- A Comedy Favorite: How The ‘Act Blacker’ Sketch Has Evolved : Code Switch : NPR
- The Extraordinary Story Of Why A ‘Cakewalk’ Wasn’t Always Easy : Code Switch : NPR
- Josephine County, Oregon: A paradise for libertarians, and for criminals.
- The Spirit Of The First Amendment | Slate Star Codex
- Center for Range Voting – front page. The idea of range voting is interesting, as are their arguments. Shame about the horribly ugly site design.
- A Notable Year of the Wrong Kind “By my reckoning, 2013 saw more new mass killings than any year since the early 1990s.”
- Rightbloggers Prove They’re No Sissies By Supporting Duck Dynasty, Beating Up Pajama Boy
- Don’t Blame Social Media if Your Teen Is Unsocial. It’s Your Fault | Wired Opinion | Wired.com
- Chart of the Day: Republicans Rule Sunday Morning | Mother Jones
- Boy Scouts Hope For Smooth Transition As They Accept Gay Youth
- This chart really shows how stunningly fast marriage equality is expanding | Family Inequality
- Back to Work – a conservative solution to unemployment. I’d welcome this approach. Alas, the majority of conservatives in Congress don’t seem willing to admit that unemployment is a problem caused by anything but worker laziness. Also, lowering the minimum wage for long-term unemployed workers but making up the lower wage by the government paying the employees enough to make up the difference, seems needlessly more complex than just giving companies that hire long-term unemployed a tax break.
- I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot. I’m sure all the conservatives who stood up for Phil Robertson are going to be just as angry and outspoken about this case, right?
- Searching the Internet for evidence of time travelers
- Jenny McCarthy: My Bad, Turns Out My Kid Doesn’t Have Autism | The Sports Pig’s Blog
- New ACLU Report Finds Overwhelming Racial Bias in Marijuana Arrests | American Civil Liberties Union
- Blockbuster Films Featuring Actual Female Characters Made Serious Money in 2013 | Bitch Media
- This “Home Alone” poster by Adam Simpson is so brilliantly executed, it retroactively justifies the film being made. (Actually, I quite enjoyed the first one.)
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on an open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
- The Debate Link
- The Overthinker
- Today I Am A Man
- The Beheld
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- Fannie's Room
- A Feminist Challenging Transphobia
- Closet Puritan
- Thing of Things
- Mythago Performs A Blog
- Long Story; Short Pier
- Feminists Fighting Transphobia
- Nuclear Unicorn
- The Fat Nutritionist
- Not Sorry Feminism
- This Is So Gay
- Disability and Representation
- Scott Wood Makes Lists
- Gloria Mundi
- Female Gazing
- The Pervocracy
- Let Them Eat Pro-SM Feminist Safe Spaces
- Kelly Thinks Too Much
- Spherical Bullshit
- Art at the Auction
- Red No. 3
- Now Face North
- The Bad Men Project
- Student Activism
- Adam Becker: Freelance Astrophysicist
- The Hathor Legacy
- Election Law Blog
- The Dirty Normal
- The Feminist Librarian
- Muslimah Media Watch
- The Incidental Economist
- Geek Feminism Blog
- The Closet Puritan
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets