coswhateverforever asked: •Obese people arent healthy •You can still love yourself at any size •There is no health at any size and it can cause many problems.. How can you love your body when youre slowly killing it? •Its ok to have some extra weight •I was once bigger but im at a good weight and im glad my body is in better conditions (could barely exercise, high cholesterol, sluggish) •Insulting and anti fat acceptance arent the same •Stop making excuses when your health knows the truth
I don’t know for sure, but I assume this ask comes in response to my cartoon “The Fat Whisperer.”
1) Obese people are not a single entity. Some obese people are currently healthy, some are currently dealing with illness or health problems. (Ditto for thin people). Either is fine. I’d rather be healthy than not, but being unhealthy is not a character flaw or a moral failing.
That said, I’d argue that the stress and lack of self-care that comes with self-hatred is a huge health problem among fat people. Attitudes like yours – which, regardless of intentions, are part of what causes fat people to learn to hate ourselves – are making us less healthy.
3) Of course there are healthy fat people, by any measure of health other than “are they fat?” That some people are fat and healthy is very well documented. (Also, I’m not “slowly killing” my body by being fat.)
4) Agreed. To which I’d add, it’s also okay to have a lot of extra weight. Or to be underweight. Or to be so-called “normal” weight. There is no one weight which is the right weight for all people.
5) I’m glad you’re feeling better.
6) Sure they are. For example, your comments here – such as “how can you love your body when you’re slowly killing it?” – are condescending and insulting.
7) “Stop making excuses when your health knows the truth” – wow, if I could rewrite my cartoon now, I would DEFINITELY have the “Fat Whisperer” character say that line – it’s perfect. So thanks for reassuring me that my cartoon was on target.
Even if you’re right that being fat is unhealthy – I don’t agree, but put that aside for a moment – so what? The vast, vast majority of fat and obese people will never be able to stop being fat or obese. So you’re like someone walking up to a seven-foot-tall person and saying “you’d be healthier if you weren’t so tall.” That’s not helpful advice.
In fact, telling fat people that they MUST! BE! THIN! and if they’re not thin then they’re just “making excuses” just makes fat people less healthy. Stress makes us less healthy. Being taught that we’re weak and flawed and that our bodies are ugly and not worthy of love, makes us less healthy. So if you actually care about fat people’s health, my recommendation to you is that you stop telling us your opinions about our health.