- South Dakota Becomes First State To Pass Anti-Transgender Student Restroom Bill – BuzzFeed News
Aaargh. And I suspect this won’t be the last state, unfortunately. But wait! There’s an update! South Dakota governor vetoes transgender bathroom bill – CNN.com (Thanks Grace!)
- Lawmakers in These States Are Obsessed With Which Bathroom Trans Kids Use | Mother Jones
- “44 anti-transgender bills is more than double the number of bills filed in last year’s legislative session, and this year’s attacks come in more varieties than they have before.” (Pdf link.)
- Conservative Trolls Have Been Suggesting Men Go into Women’s Restrooms to Help Legislators Discriminate Against Trans People – Slog – The Stranger
- The rise of American authoritarianism – Vox
A new poll shows that Americans with authoritarian beliefs are the most likely to support Trump. And even if Trump loses this election, the authoritarians will remain a major force in US politics.
- My husband raped two women — and I had to answer for his crimes – Vox
A first-person essay by a woman whose husband raped two strangers, who had her life destroyed, and who had become an advocate of Restorative Justice.
- Federal Law Criminalizes Protesting Trump Now That He’s Guarded by the Secret Service
“Free speech zones” are the opposite of free speech. Also, it seems at least plausible that Trump’s security folks racially profile to determine who to kick out.
- Talking about racism isn’t dividing the country. Racism is. – Vox
- The kerfuffle over Sanders’ economic plan – The Boston Globe
A short piece by James K. Galbraith.
- Standard Fare or Fantasy Economics?
A slightly longer (but still not very long) piece on the same subject, this time focusing on stimulus.
- “Dear Lawrence, I Know You Are Only Doing Your Job, and I Truly Wish I Could Help Assuage Paypal’s Concerns About My Donation to Syrian Refugees, But…” – Lawyers, Guns & Money
- How can a woman make more on Ebay? Pretend to be a man | Science | The Guardian
“Men earn 20% more on average than women selling identical new products on eBay, shedding light on unconscious biases which affect buying behaviour”
- To Influence Policy, You Have to Be More than Rich | Ten Miles Square | The Washington Monthly
An interesting article discussing the scholarly argument over if middle class people’s preferences influence policy, or if it’s just the wealthy whose preferences are catered to.
- Donald Trump is not a fascist
- A New Advocacy Group Is Lobbying for the Right to Repair Everything | Motherboard
Another example of copyright abuse being used to make us less free – in this case, to make it against the law for people to try and repair their own stuff.
- The Itch – The New Yorker
A horrifying and fascinating read. “She had scratched through her skull during the night—and all the way into her brain.” I’m not sure if I’ve linked this before – the article is several years old – but it’s worth linking again, if so.
- The Current Crime Debate Isn’t Doing Hillary Justice | Ten Miles Square | The Washington Monthly
The crime bill during the Clinton administration did not cause incarnation rates of POC to skyrocket.
- What happens if you scream out of a window in sweden at night – YouTube
- Artists Covertly Scan Bust of Nefertiti and Release the Data for Free Online
This is very cool. I really enjoyed the video one artist covertly made of the other artist covertly scanning Nefertiti. But why not a third video, covertly filming the covert filming of the covert scanning?
- Miss Manhattan – 99% Invisible
” Over 30 statues at the Metropolitan Museum of Art were made in her likeness, and she adorns dozens of memorials and bridges and buildings all over the city. Although the body and face of Audrey Munson have been immortalized in iron and marble, her name is mostly forgotten.”
- In Defense of Nonpologies | Thing of Things
- A Feminist Criticizes Feminist Frequency | Houston Press
- Marital Rape Is Semi-Legal in 8 States – The Daily Beast
Most of these eight states have double standards, by which a spouse can only be prosecuted for rape if it can be proven that physical force or a threat of violence was used.
- World Population Decline | Acumen | OZY
Although population is still increasing, it’s long-term path will be a decline.
- Walmart Wages Are the Main Reason People Depend on Food Stamps | The Nation
” A single Walmart Supercenter costs taxpayers between $904,542 and $1.75 million per year in public assistance.”
- Across Europe, gay migrants face abuse in asylum shelters
- Bank of Canada urges ‘Star Trek’ fans to stop ‘Spocking’ their fivers | Dangerous Minds
I’m late on this, but now that I know about it how could I not share?
- Vermont Senate Votes To Legalize Recreational Marijuana | ThinkProgress
If nothing goes wrong, Vermont will be the first state to legalize recreational marijuana through its legislature, rather than through the initiative process.
- neo-neocon » Blog Archive » Want proof that Trump’s a tyrant? You got it.
This is a conservative site lamenting Trump’s promise to make it easier to sue news outlets for libel. Includes quotes from conservatives on both sides of the question.
- Why Republican criticism of Trump fails
Thanks to Elusis for this link. “Sophisticated people cloak their racism in a well-turned phrase. Romney isn’t criticizing Trump for racism. He’s just ridiculing him for using the wrong fork.”
Click here to support Amp's political cartooning!
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
1998/2018: Whatever 20/20, Day Twenty-Two: Taste
about an hour ago
- Lawyers Guns and Money
This Year’s Akin
about an hour ago
- Love, Joy, Feminism
Saturday Link Love:
6 hours ago
The First Beto-Cruz Debate
10 hours ago
- Election Law Blog
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- Not Sorry Feminism
Gif of the Day
15 hours ago
Kavanaugh May Be Getting More Unpopular
17 hours ago
- RH Reality Check
- Daniel Larison
The Week’s Most Interesting Reads
22 hours ago
- Scott Wood Makes Lists
- Thing of Things
- Echidne of the Snakes
- Dollars and Sense
The September/October Issue Is Out!
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets