- Is Wearing Hijab a Feminist Statement? – Heinous Dealings
- How the GOP Lost Jackie Robinson
- The Virtues of Virtue Signaling
Talking the talk can lead to walking the walk. And actually, can itself be a form of walking the walk.
- Boundary Setting vs Tone Policing – Brute Reason
- California lawmakers agree to a $15 minimum wage
- How The Human Rights Campaign Is Helping the GOP to Retain the Senate
I have sympathy for HRC’s long-term goal of getting more elected Republicans who support LGBT rights, but I think they’re mistaken to thing that such long-term trends are significantly influenced by endorsements. The GOP will get less anti-gay once their base finds being anti-gay unacceptable.
- Trump’s Jumbled, Deal-Obsessed Foreign Policy | The American Conservative
- Whipping Girl: Alice Dreger’s disingenuous campaign against transgender activism
This is a post from last year, but Dreger’s book has been in the news a bit lately, so the link is therefore magically transformed into a timely link. Right?
- Things crashing into other things: or, my superhero movie problem | MZS | Roger Ebert
Actually, there are a bunch of links from last year on this link farm. At least for my tastes, Stolz is right that relatively human-scale fight scenes (Captain America in an elevator, Black Widow tied to a chair, Quicksilver running around a room) are a lot more fun to watch than the bigger scenes that dominate most superhero movies (helicarriers crashing, etc); and also, that most of the big fight scenes feel generic.
- Florida is the latest state to defund Planned Parenthood even though it’s probably illegal – Vox
- CNN Mistakes Sex Toy Flag For ISIS Flag At London Gay Pride
Story from last year that I just now came across and if there were milk it would be all over my keyboard.
- Without Scalia, America’s political landscape is being transformed | Scott Lemieux
“The ruling has the effect of thwarting a major judicial attack on public sector unions, and also shows how the unexpected death of Antonin Scalia is already beginning to transform the American legal and political landscape.”
- Left Skepticism
“Left skepticism says: we have no idea what we’re doing, so absent very strong reasons we should just do whatever results in less immediate suffering, a factor we can know with much greater regularity.”
- American elections ranked worst among Western democracies. Here’s why.
- How Bernie Sanders made the Democratic Party safe for liberals
- What Emily Yoffe Left Out of Her Polemic on The Hunting Ground
- The US now uses less water than it did in 1970 – Vox
- Emory Students Traumatized by Trump Graffiti? : snopes.com
“A controversy at Emory University over graffiti promoting Donald Trump led to some predictably inaccurate media reports.”
- Emory student: It’s not about chalk. It’s about the message Trump sends to people of color. – The Washington Post
- Campus Anti-Semitism Prompts New York Lawmakers To Slash Funds
Whatever we think of what the students said, the lawmakers are going against free speech here.
- A Tribute to Nurse Kellye | Fat Heffalump
The frankly awesome background character on M*A*S*H who appeared in almost every episode. I haven’t watched M*A*S*H since I was a kid, but I remember really having a crush on Kellye, and being so pleased in one episode when Hawkeye had a particularly difficult surgery to perform and told Margaret that he’d need Kellye to assist him.
- Where’s My Petabyte Disk Drive? | bit-player
- ACLU, Lambda Legal to Sue North Carolina Over Law Banning LGBT Rights Ordinances
- No path for Sanders… but it’s a long one
“For national opinion to come into line with what Sanders needs, there would have to be a change from Clinton +9.5% to Sanders +12%. That’s a 22-point swing. To put that into perspective, that is about how much the Clinton-Sanders margin has moved over the last seven months, since the start of August. Going forward, opinion would have to start moving about three times faster.” (Thanks to Ben.)
- Is Retaking the House a Democratic Pipe Dream? | New Republic
Democrats are blowing their admittedly slim chance of retaking the House.
- Four progressive female candidates worth donating to.
All four are running for the Senate.
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
- RH Reality Check
- Lawyers Guns and Money
3 hours ago
I’ve got homework ahead of me
4 hours ago
- Love, Joy, Feminism
Love Comes Softly: The End
8 hours ago
In The 2019 BTAC Leadership Institute House
10 hours ago
- Election Law Blog
- Not Sorry Feminism
Gif of the Day
17 hours ago
- Crooked Timber
Movers and stayers
18 hours ago
- This Is So Gay
Que Sera, Sera...
18 hours ago
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- Daniel Larison
The Big Idea: Heather Webber
- The Incidental Economist
Crude and Feckless — Page 18
2 days ago
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets