- Seven Other States Are Considering Restricting Bathrooms For Transgender People | FiveThirtyEight
- How One Man Is Hoping To End The U.S. Border Protection Agency’s ‘Culture Of Impunity’ | ThinkProgress
- JHow an internet mapping glitch turned a remote farm into a digital hell | Fusion
- The Most Interesting Opinion The Supreme Court Handed Down This Year | ThinkProgress
Actually about Justice Kagen’s dissent in a case about how to count people for districting purposes, which more-or-less invites someone to sue the government for freezing assets before a trial.
- Zucker’s “Therapy” Mourned Almost Exclusively By Cis People
Kenneth Zucker’s clinic being closed down is blamed, again and again, on an unrepresentative handful of trans activists. But virtually every (out) trans person who has spoken about Zucker thinks his treatments were harmful.
- The Swedish Number: Sweden is waiting for your call – CNN.com
“To mark the 250th anniversary of Sweden’s abolition of censorship, the Swedish Tourist Association has launched a phone number connecting global callers with random Swedes.”
- Transgender women suffer sexual assaults, harassment in immigrant detention, says HRW report.
- Conversations with People Who Aren’t There – R.A. MacAvoy On Writing and Reading
I find the situation – believing an unusual personal quirk to be a universal trait of humans – really interesting. I often wonder about my own thoughts in this regard.
- Periods for Pence Is the Best Response to Indiana’s Restrictive Abortion Law HB 1337
- The Perils of Our Split Supreme Court | New Republic
- Mississippi’s New Anti-LGBT Bill Claims That Women Can Be Fired For Wearing Pants | ThinkProgress
It’s like states are competing to see who can pass the most bigoted anti-LGBT laws.
- Harvard Law Students, Allow Me to Say Something Controversial: You Might Be Wrong | The Harvard Law Record
Although the specifics of the controversy are, well, specific, I very much agree with the general approach here. I also admire their decision not to publish videos of students unless the people in the video have consented.
- Come hear of the hell a Skyrim player endured for his doggy buddy | GamesRadar+
This may be the best video-game story I’ve ever read.
- Amanda Marcotte: Outlawing abortion requires punishing the woman.
“That’s because most black market abortions do not involve someone performing the abortion, doctor or otherwise. There are no back alleys or secret clinics. The “abortionist” in the vast majority of these abortions is the woman herself, which she does by swallowing some pills.”
- If Tracer’s Pose Was Censorship, Then The Baldur’s Gate Controversy Is, Too – CraveOnline
GamerGate is hypocritical. Not exactly surprising.
- I really enjoyed this short Spider-Man comic, although Tumblr being Tumblr I couldn’t figure out the author.
- A set of animated gifs illustrating the relative time it takes each planet to orbit the sun.
- A cartoonist’s worldview | The Guardian. A series of one-page comics by fabulous cartoonists like Kate Beaton, Luke Pearson and Tom Gauld. I was especially tickled by Modern Toss’ comic, but most of these are excellent.
- Should bikes and cars share the same road — and the same rules? – Vox
- Bike share users are mostly rich and white. Here’s why that’s hard to change. – Vox
- Ant, Mario Gully, Erik Larsen And A Case Of Crotch-Tongue – Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movie, TV News
This public argument between a superhero writer and a superhero artist, about the artist deviating from the script to add a corpse licking the heroine’s crotch, is, I feel certain, more entertaining than the actual comic book they were creating.
Click here to support Amp's political cartooning!
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
Daily Dose of Cute
about an hour ago
- Not Sorry Feminism
Women's Safety, Well-Being, and Dignity Worth $400, Apparently
about an hour ago
- Echidne of the Snakes
The Disappearing Men
2 hours ago
The problem of homology
3 hours ago
- Lawyers Guns and Money
- Greta Christina's Blog
Happy Monsters Dancing in a Nightclub
4 hours ago
- RH Reality Check
- Daniel Larison
The Costs of the War on the People of Yemen
4 hours ago
- Love, Joy, Feminism
Brief Administrative Note
5 hours ago
- Election Law Blog
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- Crooked Timber
That’s not my department, says Wernher von Braun
21 hours ago
- Family Inequality
Wives’ share of couple income update
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets