- Talking Dworkin with trans folks who were taught to hate her – Ehipassiko
Thanks to Grace for the link.
- How Hillary Clinton Became a Hawk – The New York Times
If you’ve already maxed out how many NYTimes articles you can read this month, try getting to it via the Google Search link instead.
- And for a contrary view, Is Hillary Clinton really the foreign policy super-hawk she is portrayed to be? – Vox
Okay, but by making the primary question asked “is Clinton more hawkish than Republicans,” the article sort of puts its thumb on the scale. I mean, yes, she’s not as hawkish as the Republicans, that’s almost a given. But that doesn’t mean she’s not too hawkish. And although Clinton favors the Iran deal now that it would be ridiculous to oppose it, iirc she was opposed to negotiating with Iran when the policy was just starting out.
- Are Men Really Harassed Online More Than Women? – Forbes
- Clinton emails: Past cases suggest Hillary won’t be indicted – POLITICO
- Having Feelings About Rejection Doesn’t Make You a “Nice Guy” – Brute Reason
“‘Nice Guy’ is an important concept because it allows us to describe and discuss gendered patterns that might otherwise remain invisible…. Unfortunately, I’m not sure if the concept is still as useful as it originally was, because its meaning has become diluted to the point of uselessness.”
- Democrats Have Gotten More Liberal Since 2008, But Not Enough To Nominate Sanders | FiveThirtyEight
- Trust Us: Politicians Keep Most Of Their Promises | FiveThirtyEight
Although the article doesn’t say so, this is one reason a left campaign like Bernie Sanders’ can be important: pushing Clinton to the left during the primary may have a good chance of affecting how she governs when (if) she becomes President.
- But alas! the creature grows degenerate.
This discussion of a jewelry ad starring Gwyneth Paltrow was entirely worth the ten minutes it took me to read it. (Click on “Next” to see the second page of discussion.)
- A brief history of menstruation in outer space.
- Mysterious as the Trans Side of Mulan
From the title, I anticipated this article would interpret Mulan as a trans man. But it actually interprets her as a trans woman.
- Courts Pretty Much OK With FBI’s Occasional Stints As Child Porn Distributors | Techdirt
- The Hidden Dangers of AI for Queer and Trans People by Alyx Baldwin | Model View Culture
Also some interesting points about facial recognition software and race.
- I really like where this discussion of werewolves and the changing orbit of the moon went.
- Trump’s Foreign Policy Speech | The American Conservative
“Trump’s foreign policy speech yesterday veered between a few sensible comments and a large number of contradictory and worrisome assertions.”
- Clinton’s Delegate Lead Would Triple Under GOP Rules
And if the GOP used the Democrat’s rules, they’d definitely be heading to a contested convention.
- ‘Normal America’ Is Not A Small Town Of White People
It’s New Haven, CT.
- The disastrous, forgotten 1996 law that created today’s immigration problem
Written by Republicans, but signed with some misgivings, but basically with enthusiasm (or an eye on political gains), by Bill Clinton.
- House Democrats won’t say they think they have a shot at a majority — is that a huge mistake?
“A question Democrats may want to ask themselves is when, exactly, they are hoping for a more politically congenial environment than a presidential election year with Trump leading the opposition ticket?”
- Nordic Countries Do Actually Soak The Rich
- Night Vale and trigger warnings. “What’s that concept called?”
- Five short poems about “what if people call themselves toasters now?”
- Teen birth rates are at an all-time low. We still don’t know exactly why. – Vox
- Glenn Hauman: Neil Gaiman Does Not Need A Pity Hugo | ComicMix
Arguing that Gaiman and other “human shield” Rabid nominees should decline their Hugo nominations this year. Honestly, I agree – it would be best if all the people nominated who were on the Rabid slate withdraw from consideration – but that’s not going to happen. And I don’t have the stomach to vote “no award” for the human shields, or even to criticize them for not withdrawing.
- Hugo Awards: 3-Stage Voting: kevin_standlee
This is interesting, and Kevin Standlee is someone whose ideas always deserve a respectful hearing. He defends his proposal a bit more in comments here.
- Analysis of Slate Voting for the 2016 Hugos
From this estimate, there were about 205 “rabid puppy” voters; several people quietly declined nominations; and E Pluribus Hugo might optimistically have cut the number of Rabid nominees in half, but wouldn’t have eliminated the effects of slating.
- “There is no Klingon word for ‘deference,’ and Plaintiffs are entitled to none.”
From a case in which Paramount is suing fan Star Trek filmmakers, an amicus brief on behalf of speakers of Klingon, arguing that Paramount cannot own a language. It’s pretty awesome.
- Conservative Media Lash Out At John Boehner For Calling Ted Cruz “Lucifer In The Flesh”
Sometimes I can’t help but love election season.
- The new age or the stone age: we either deal with the costs of trade or they deal with us
If we want to continue seeing the benefits of trade – and we should – then we need to start dealing with the problem of people harmed by trade.
- How Politically Correct Should the Workplace Be?
I love “fictional dialog between two improbably calm and stiff-talking people as they discuss an issue” as a genre.
- Kansas Lawmaker Equates Contraceptives with Eugenics
“The best way to repudiate eugenics is to empower poor women to make their own choices.”
- Zootopia – A Physical Accessibility Near-Utopia
By the way, I really enjoyed Zootopia, and if you’re not allergic to kid’s animated films I highly recommend it.
- Facing Years in Prison for Fleeing Abuse: Cherelle Baldwin’s Story Is Far From Unique
Update: After almost three years in jail, Cherelle Baldwin was found not guilty.
- Abortion Opponents Move the Goalposts (part 3)
“Instead of looking only at deaths directly associated with the medical effects of abortion, they’re looking at every time a woman who has had an abortion at some point in her life dies. Not even kidding.”
Click here to support Amp's political cartooning!
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
‘Tis the season
57 minutes ago
- Lawyers Guns and Money
about an hour ago
The Whatever Digest, 9/18/18
about an hour ago
- RH Reality Check
- Election Law Blog
“Campaign Donor Disclosure Fate May Hinge on Kavanaugh Vote”
about an hour ago
Trump Declassifies Documents in Brazen Authoritarian Move
about an hour ago
- Thing of Things
Link Post for August
2 hours ago
- Love, Joy, Feminism
- Daniel Larison
Another Pointless Round of NATO Expansion Awaits
13 hours ago
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- Crooked Timber
Time to join the generation game?
16 hours ago
- Not Sorry Feminism
Gif of the Day
16 hours ago
- Racism Review
US Open: Much Gendered-Racist Framing
21 hours ago
23 hours ago
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets