- What it’s like to be that fat person sitting next to you on the plane. — Medium
It’s not like this for me, happily, but I’ve heard several fat friends express similar feelings about flying.
- Why the CDC still isn’t researching gun violence, despite the ban being lifted two years ago – The Washington Post
- Are Left-Populists Wrong About Political Campaigns? – Lawyers, Guns & Money
Eric Loomis considers the lessons lefties can learn from Bernie Sanders’ campaign.
- Radical feminism: hermeneutically sealed – Sweet Talk
Although this critique of radical feminism doesn’t mention trans women’s rights, it’s interesting to consider that conflict – which, for me, is the biggest exhibit in the case against (much of) modern radical feminism – in the light of the view of radical feminism as “hermeneutically sealed.”
- Chattanooga Mayor Says City’s Gigabit Network (Which Comcast Tried To Kill) To Thank For City’s Revival
“… letting AT&T and Comcast lawyers literally writing bad state telecom law has resulted in Tennessee being one of the least connected states in the nation.”
- The Complete Calendar Plug-In of the World’s Fictional Holidays | Atlas Obscura
- Court Says Free Speech Rights For Prisoners Not ‘Clearly Established,’ Gives Pass To Retaliatory Actions By Officials
“… appeals court decision finding a federal prisoner’s rights weren’t violated when he was removed from a halfway house and placed in solitary confinement in retaliation for publishing an article about his prison experience.”
- Scottish people insulting Donald Trump
- “Ashley Carol I will not have drugs in my house! Come home right now!”
- To Keep The Blood Supply Safe, Screening Blood Is More Important Than Banning Donors
- U.S. citizen sues feds over border body cavity search | Arizona Capitol Times
There was no warrant, and no apparent probable cause. They didn’t find any drugs, but they did send the teenager’s parents a bill for $575 for the search. Isn’t this essentially rape?
- Citigroup trademarks “THANKYOU” and sues AT&T for thanking clients | Ars Technica
- A professor at the United States Naval War College illustrates the merits of US strategy against ISIS by imagining a meeting of the Islamic State National Security Council. (Thanks to Nobody.)
- Quotes From Feminists That Will Make You Rethink Trusting Men’s Rights Activists
Ozy contextualizes many of the “horrible things feminists have said!” quotes that MRAs pass around.
- Fantastic short documentary on movie sound effect artists / Boing Boing
Somehow this nearly wordless short film, showing two foley artists creating everyday sounds for a film about fishermen, is fascinating. They’re concentrating so hard.
- Donald Trump Will Be Buried in an Electoral Avalanche | New Republic
Jeet Heer argues for the optimistic view. I hope he’s right.
- Thinking About Hillary — A Plea for Reason — Medium
“…the public view of Hillary Clinton does not seem to be correlated to “scandals” or issues of character or whether she murdered Vince Foster. No, the one thing that seems to most negatively and consistently affect public perception of Hillary is any attempt by her to seek power.”
- Brock Turner sentence: Why sex offender registries don’t work — Quartz
- The ultimate trolley problem.
- BERNIE SANDERS: 7,000 supporters signed up to run for office – Business Insider
Probably this will fizzle out – I say that because let’s face it, most things do – but if it doesn’t fizzle, this has the potential to matter.
- When the Bank Robs You: Wells Fargo Contractors Allegedly Stole Family Heirlooms Rescued From Nazis
- Congresswoman Who Used To Receive Welfare Wants To Drug Test Rich People Who Get Tax Breaks | ThinkProgress
- Gun control’s racist reality: The liberal argument against giving police more power – Salon.com
- Rape culture, a new definition for a contentious idea – Sweet Talk
- The Party Left Me And Other Complaints of the Voter-As-Atomistic-Consumer – Lawyers, Guns & Money : Lawyers, Guns & Money
- USDA ERS – Recent Evidence on the Effects of Food Store Access on Food Choice and Diet Quality
This USDA study shows that the “food desert” theory doesn’t actually seem to have much impact on how people eat. The best way to convince poor people to eat more veggies seems to be to subsidize veggies.
- Donald Trump’s invisible campaign.
- That time the Devil returned to Georgia and got in a Tuba duel….
- Sonia Sotomayor dissent in Utah v. Strieff takes on police misconduct.
- New Star Trek Fan Film Guidelines Have a Chilling Effect on Star Trek Fans | Tor.com
- Vine: “When they charge you 25 cents for some extra sauce”
If this isn’t fake, then these people are stunningly assholish. And committing a felony, as Grace pointed out to me.
- Policy Approaches to Decreasing Unemployment that neither the Democrats or Republicans seem willing to consider. (Pdf)
- The Reductive Seduction of Other People’s Problems.
What’s wrong with westerners focusing on improving the developing world. Interesting responses in the comments, too.
- A case study of Playpumps International.
Another failed “magic bullet” approach to solving developing world problems. (Pdf)
- Embattled whiteness gave us Brexit. It won’t give us President Trump.
- Low-cut dresses boost women’s job application chances, says researcher
- Model legislation for improving campus rape investigations.
This is coming from an MRA group, which makes me automatically skeptical of it, and I’d really like to see some skeptical lawyers reading it. But at first glance it seems reasonable and balanced. (Pdf).
- People Actually Live In These Beautifully Insane Houses – ALLDAY Via Mandolin.
- Ambiguous Cylinder Illusion – YouTube
You’ve probably already seen this wonderfully mind-twisting illusion, but if you haven’t, take 60 seconds and look at it; it’s stunning.
- NRA Complaint Takes Down 38,000 Websites | Motherboard
Once again, intellectual property law is a useful tool of censorship. I guess defending the 2nd amendment means acting with contempt towards the first?
- Judge Orders Macy’s to Quit Fining, Detaining Suspected Shoplifters in In-Store Jail
Basically, they’d lock people up and not let them go until they paid cash and signed a “confession.” I don’t know why I was shocked that Macy’s does this. I’m glad the judge ordered Macy’s too stop, but in a better world some Macy’s folks would be arrested.
- Don’t Look At Us, We Didn’t Do It! – Lawyers, Guns & Money : Lawyers, Guns & Money
Trump’s rise is the logical outcome of where the Republicans have been heading for years.
- The Story Behind the Most Bizarre Strike Photo Ever Taken | Atlas Obscura
- Watch Anna Kendrick and James Corden Nail Adele in “Soundtrack to a Love Story” Performance | InStyle.com
A super fun mini-musical from Corden’s show.
- NASA Just Confirmed That Earth Has A New “Mini-Moon”
Click here to support Amp's political cartooning!
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
- Lawyers Guns and Money
about an hour ago
- Crooked Timber
Shadowgraph of a Mouse
2 hours ago
- Dr. Jen Gunter
- The Volokh Conspiracy
A delicate exercise
- Family Inequality
- Echidne of the Snakes
The New Gilded Age
- Not Sorry Feminism
Gif of the Day
The Virtual Pub Is Open
- RH Reality Check
New Books and ARCs, 11/17/17
- Daniel Larison
The Week’s Most Interesting Reads
- Dollars and Sense
2 days ago
- Lawyers Guns and Money
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets