- In praise of ambivalence—“young” feminism, gender identity, and free speech | Practical Ethics
A post criticizing how leftists have responded to Alice Dreger and Germaine Greer. There’s some back-and-forth between me and the author in the comments.
- A discussion of the phrase “Not All Men,” again with me participating in the comments.
- A Feminist Defense of Cinderella
- Harrassment, Racism, & “Harmless Torturers”
Also really interesting to think about in light of “what does it matter if I vote?” arguments.
- Trope Anatomy 101: Your Body Is Not Your Confession | The Book Smugglers
Really good essay on how fat people are presented in media.
- The 2016 Hugo Awards: Two Weeks Out
If the price tag isn’t too high and you’re interested in the Hugos, please don’t sit this year out. It’s okay if you haven’t read everything.
- Beyond Panic and Punishment: Brock Turner and the Left Response to Sexual Violence | Common Dreams
Argues that calls for harsher jail sentences aren’t where the left should go.
- Ghostbusters Enjoys $46m Opening Weekend Entirely On Strength Of Guys From The Internet Sitting Alone In Empty Theaters With Their Phone Cameras
Overall, it seems that Ghostbusters is neither a huge hit, nor a huge flop. Which is fine with me. I’m bugged by so many people being so eager to see this film flop, though.
- Zero Tolerance: Censored by the Left | Alice Domurat Dreger
By “censorship,” Dreger means that a website declined to publish her article. Because that’s totally what censorship means. It’s not as if “Everyday Feminism” has a free speech right to choose what and what not to publish.
- Worthwhile Canadian Initiative: What’s wrong with Airbnb?
” Overall, it’s really hard to say whether the net impact of Airbnb is to reduce overall income and wealth inequality or increase it. To the extent that Airbnb diminishes the Hilton family fortune, while making it cheaper for tourists from Tulsa to visit New York city, it may actually reduce inequality in income and wealth.”
- Meet Dani Mathers: The Playboy Playmate From Hell – The Daily Beast
She took a photo of an unwitting nude woman in the locker room and made fun of the woman’s body on snapchat.
- Sexual Harassment Is Invisible to Half the Population – Bloomberg View
“If you rarely or never see sexual harassment, then it can be hard to believe a group that says that it’s really common and that legal redress is required.”
- Box Turtle Bulletin » Today In History: 1962: New York’s WBAI Radio Broadcasts Talk Show Featuring Eight Gay Men
- Firing Roger Ailes and exiling Milo Yiannopoulos isn’t going to fix much of anything — Quartz
- Matte Shot – a tribute to Golden Era special fx: THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF DISNEY MATTE ART: Part Two
The matte paintings used to create the city in Mary Poppins are especially beautiful.
- Ash’s Regency | Gerhard Art
Cerebus background artist Gerhard’s stunning new drawing of the Regency Hotel’s back side.
- Urban Myth: Black Lives Matter Protests Kill Girl Waiting for Transplant in Memphis
Snopes is on the case.
- Same-sex couple denied a birthday cake by local bakery
I think the bakery owner honestly wants the drama. I AM MAKING A STAND!!!!!
- Anatomy of An Iconic Image: How this photograph of a protester in Baton Rouge could come to symbolize a movement – Salon.com
- Police, Prosecutors and Judges Rely on a Flawed $2 Drug Test That Puts Innocent People Behind Bars – ProPublica
- “Spideyzine,” a 20-page Spiderman fan comic, is one of the best Spiderman comics I’ve ever read, and you can download it for free.
- Gamasutra – Opinion: Being sexy and not sexist – a look at Bayonetta and objectification
Although this is about a character in a game, the discussion is applicable to fictional characters in general.
- Help Support a Harassment Victim | SINMANTYX
Years ago, Chanty Binx was caught on camera yelling at MRAs. Years later, they are still harassing her. She’s crowdfunding to hire a lawyer.
- Why the new ‘Ghostbusters’ is Gamergate’s worst nightmare | The Daily Dot
- Google deletes artist’s blog, along with a decade of his work | Fusion
Yes, it was foolish of him not to back up, but still.
- The case of the $629 Band-Aid — and what it reveals about American health care – Vox
- US Rep. Steve King preaches literal white supremacy on national television – Vox
- Who is this man who seems to die in every terrorist attack?
The answer: He’s alive, not a victim of a terrorist attack, but several people he knows are engaging in an oddball revenge scheme.
- FBI: No Evidence That Orlando Shooter Was Gay : snopes.com
- Whole Health Source: Two huge new studies further undermine the “obesity paradox”
I don’t think these studies are the be-all and end-all, but they’re interesting, and worth linking to because they contradict some of what I’ve argued in the past.
- In Memoriam: The VCR, 1956 – 2016 | ThinkProgress
- Distributors of Anti-Vax Film Are Trying to Keep an Autistic Rights Advocate From Criticizing It
- Woman Cosplays To Work To Beat Stupid Dress Code
- In 1995, Wal-Mart Got in Trouble for Pulling a T-Shirt Promising ‘Someday a Woman Will be PRESIDENT!’
- 6 Ways I Was Taught to Be a Good Fatty (And Why I Stopped) — Everyday Feminism
Click here to support Amp's political cartooning!
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
- Lawyers Guns and Money
Do I Have to Come Right Flat Out And Tell You Everything
50 minutes ago
- Love, Joy, Feminism
Lesbian Duplex 190: An Open Thread
6 hours ago
- Crooked Timber
Sunday photoblogging: window
6 hours ago
- Daniel Larison
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- Dr. Jen Gunter
“Hot pants! DIY Gynecology” is a Hot Mess
18 hours ago
- Election Law Blog
- Not Sorry Feminism
Gif of the Day
- RH Reality Check
- Scott Wood Makes Lists
- Thing of Things
2 days ago
2 days ago
- Lawyers Guns and Money
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets