- How the first liberal Supreme Court in a generation could reshape America – Vox
The possibility of effectively reducing gerrymandering is especially on my mind at the moment.
- The GOP created the “rigged vote” myth.
Trump really isn’t doing anything but taking seriously what the GOP, in a racist attempt to limit Democratic voters’ participation, has been saying for years.
- Airbnb Probably Isn’t Driving Rents Up Much, At Least Not Yet | FiveThirtyEight
- Trump is not an Act of God
Trump is the logical outcome of everything the GOP has been telling its base for years.
- Clinton’s Alinsky Problem—and Ours – Better Angels
Surprisingly interesting article about Clinton’s college writing about Alinsky.
- A Plan That Can Help Millions : Democracy Journal
“Hillary Clinton’s new plan for poor people isn’t huge, but it’s reasonable and practicable and would improve millions of lives.”
- How False Narratives of Margaret Sanger Are Being Used to Shame Black Women – Rewire
- Bike lock developed that makes thieves immediately vomit | The Guardian
- At Least 24,000 Inmates Have Staged Coordinated Protests in the Past Month. Why Have You Not Heard of Their Actions? | The Nation
- He Kept Us Out Of War? | Slate Star Codex
Trump has been more hawkish than Clinton, not less.
- Actress Jen Richards just nailed the problem with casting cisgender actors in trans roles
- Transparent’s Trans Director Silas Howard Tells Us If Jeffrey Tambor Should Have Been Cast
Well no, he doesn’t, but it’s still an interesting interview.
- Mark Ruffalo Made A Movie About Trans People — Without Casting Or Consulting Any Trans People
I’m kind of amazed this still happens.
- Taibbi on Amy Goodman Arrest for Covering Dakota Pipeline Story – Rolling Stone
The prosecutor arrested her for not being “balanced” in her coverage. I’m not even kidding.
- This is the best book to help you understand the wild 2016 campaign – Vox
“Partisan loyalties are largely built up from fundamental group identities rather than based on profound ideological commitments, and swing voters swing in large part for no good reason at all — maybe because of a recession, but maybe because of a swing in global oil prices or because the Steelers lost or almost anything else.”
- If assisted suicide is legal, people will be pressured to commit suicide. It should be legal anyway.
- The Price I’ve Paid For Opposing Donald Trump | National Review
Not just him but also his family.
- Participation Awards Don’t Suck. You Suck. | Houston Press
- On banter, bonding and Donald Trump | language: a feminist guide
- The Myth Of The Absent Black Father
A report on a CDC study from 2014 that I somehow missed (or had forgotten). But see also this rebuttal from Real Clear Policy.
- What A Black Woman Wishes Her Adoptive White Parents Knew – BuzzFeed News
- The state map if only White people voted, and if only Non-White people voted.
Trump would not win a single state if whites couldn’t vote. If only whites could vote, Clinton would still win a few states – the ones you’d expect – but she’d certainly lose the race.
- Taking Trump voters’ concerns seriously means listening to what they’re actually saying – Vox
Trump voters are not typically poor, but that’s the narrative many reporters are invested in.
- Women: Have you ever wondered how much energy you put in to avoid being assaulted? It may shock you
- The way to a better work-life balance? Unions, not self-help | Guardian Careers | The Guardian
- How Did Walmart Get Cleaner Stores and Higher Sales? It Paid Its People More – The New York Times
- Watch Asian Americans recount racist microaggressions they experience every day – Vox
- Law Professor’s Response to Black Lives Matter Shirt Complaint — Social Design Notes
- The white flight of Derek Black – The Washington Post
How inviting a Stormfront leader to Shabbos led to him renouncing white nationalism.
- Why I left Republican Party to register as a Democrat – Business Insider
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Is Even Whiter Than You Think | VICE | United States
- The Moral Of The Story | Slate Star Codex
Do not read if you’re allergic to puns.
- FBI Facial Recognition Expert Helps Denver PD Arrest Wrong Man Twice For The Same Crime
The cops beat him up pretty badly, as well. If he hadn’t happened to be on his employer’s security footage at the time he was supposedly robbing a bank, things cold have gone even worse for him.
- How Half Of America Lost Its F**king Mind | Cracked.com
One of a growing genre of “what are Trump voters thinking?” articles. I have issues with this article, and with this trend of articles, but I still think it’s worth reading.
Along similar lines, the “Ask Trump Voters” reddit is interesting reading.
- Did Black Americans Own Slaves Before The Civil War?
Yes, they did, some for profit and exploitation, some for good reasons (such as buying a relative to rescue them), some… in between.
- Uber’s Ad-Toting Drones Are Heckling Drivers Stuck in Traffic
- ▶︎ Curious | Claire Keepers
This is an album that you can listen to online. I really enjoyed it.
- London Is Still Paying Rent to the Queen on a Property Leased in 1211 | Atlas Obscura
And no one living knows exactly where the property is located.
- The Midwest’s Racial Incarceration Problem
The South puts more black men in prison in absolute numbers – but as a percentage of prisoners, the North and Midwest are worse.
- My body doesn’t need a cure: Sizeism, classism and the big-business hustle of the clean-eating industry – Salon.com
- Clinton’s Aggressive Foreign Policy | The American Conservative
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
- Lawyers Guns and Money
In the stillness of disgrace
7 hours ago
- Not Sorry Feminism
Gif of the Day
9 hours ago
My connection to Jeffrey Epstein
9 hours ago
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- Election Law Blog
- The Incidental Economist
- Echidne of the Snakes
New Books and ARCs, 8/23/19
13 hours ago
- Daniel Larison
The Week’s Most Interesting Reads
16 hours ago
- RH Reality Check
- Love, Joy, Feminism
- Crooked Timber
- Family Inequality
Against the generations, with video
- Rachel Swirsky
A Haiku For Thursday, August 22nd
More Trump Stuff
- Lawyers Guns and Money
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets