- The battle over the Dakota Access Pipeline, explained – Vox
- Donate to the Standing Rock Medic + Healer Council
- It’s time to kill the $100 bill – The Washington Post and, by the same author (Larry Summers), India just made a big mistake with its currency ban – The Washington Post. An interesting issue that I’ve never thought about before – high-value currency fosters crime, but getting rid of it has to be done the right way.
- Harry Potter and the Conscience of a Liberal – The Baffler
A bit of a long read, but interesting, about the moderate-liberal Rowling versus how Harry Potter’s more radical fans interpret the Potter books.
- Was Lee Harvey Oswald Just a Bad Shot? | Mother Jones
Like Kevin, I have no clue if this is a reasonable argument or not. Anyone know?
- Please don’t try to get screenings of The Red Pill cancelled :: We Hunted The Mammoth
- The inexplicably ubiquitous phenomenon of ‘woods porn’ | Dangerous Minds
- Sex, death and aliens: a feminist watches ‘Arrival’ | language: a feminist guide
Spoiler alert! But interesting stuff.
- Self-Driving Trucks Are a Canary in the Coal Mine | Mother Jones
- Big Farms Are Getting Bigger And Most Small Farms Aren’t Really Farms At All | FiveThirtyEight
- Whimsical Storybook Beasts and Birds Illustrated by Vorja Sánchez
Those illustrations near the bottom of the post, of people affectionately holding monsters, are gorgeous.
- Oregonians: Do you want pavement or gravel & dust? You decide. – BlueOregon
- Right-Wing Media Misquoted a Gay University Official and Tried to Get Him Fired – WATCH
- 5 Huge Driverless Car Problems (Besides The Obvious Ones)
Will driverless cars kill radio?
- A Brilliant Version of Pink Floyd’s ‘Another Brick in the Wall’ Played on a Traditional Korean Gayageum
- The North Pole is an insane 36 degrees warmer than normal as winter descends – The Washington Post
- Clickclickclickclick is sort of brilliant. I won’t describe it, just go check it out. Have the sound on.
- Street photographer’s fantastic series of “then and now” photos
I’m oddly fascinated by this genre of photos.
- NASA Team Claims ‘Impossible’ Space Engine Works — Get the Facts
“The long-standing catch is that the EmDrive seemingly defies the laws of classical physics, so even if it’s doing what the team claims, scientists still aren’t sure how the thing actually works.”
Click here to support Amp's political cartooning!
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
- Love, Joy, Feminism
- Lawyers Guns and Money
Another day in Trump’s America
13 hours ago
- Beepy Boopy Veronica
- Not Sorry Feminism
Gif of the Day
17 hours ago
- The Volokh Conspiracy
- Daniel Larison
May’s Election Gamble Seems to Be Backfiring
19 hours ago
The Virtual Pub Is Open (+ Programming Note)
19 hours ago
- Election Law Blog
What are all these NC redistricting cases?
20 hours ago
- RH Reality Check
New Books and ARCs, 5/26/17
20 hours ago
- We Hunted the Mammoth
BTWI Statement Concerning The Faulkner Murder
22 hours ago
Let’s talk about Confederate monuments.
23 hours ago
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets