Happy 2017, everyone! May it be better than 2016.
- Leia Organa: A Critical Obituary
- How Racists Are Made Into Unicorns – Medium
I don’t agree with all of this – I think a more generous reading of Drum’s argument would be not that the majority definition is the “right” definition, but that there are multiple correct definitions of English words and phrases, including the phrase “white supremacy” – but I very much agree with the point that there’s enormous pressure to define the term “racist” so that no one can actually be said to be racist.
- When Men’s Rights Means Anti-Women, Everyone Loses | Noah Berlatsky on Patreon
- Copy Edit Tihs! – The New York Times
This was fun – see if you can spot the grammatical errors in these quotes from recent Times stories.
A post-election poem by e.c.c., that is apt to be more enjoyable for left-wing readers.
- Why Obamacare enrollees voted for Trump – Vox
In short, many of them don’t believe that Trump or Republicans actually intend to get rid of Obamacare. That seems very unlikely to be true, but I hope they’re right.
- 120 kg model wins Argentine beauty pageant – BeautyPageants
- The most common words in Hillary Clinton’s speeches, in one chart – Vox
She talked about employment, the economy, etc., much more than about identity politics. I’d be curious to see the same sort of chart done for Trump.
- Why Do Marvel’s Movies Look Kind of Ugly? (video essay) – YouTube
- Breitbart’s Milo Yiannopoulos Doubles Down On Harassing Transgender University Of Wisconsin Student
And along similar lines: Milo Yiannopoulos: Never feel bad for mocking a transgendered person.. That the anti-SJWs have made this wart their hero says it all about how genuinely contemptible their movement is.
- Disability is Not the Bogeyman, Stop Using it as a Threat | crippledscholar
- Dollmaker investigated by police for suspected baby-selling
- Bask in the bracing unsentimentality of Vesna Vulovic, the only person to survive a 1972 plane crash.
- Obama’s Weak Defense of His Record on Drone Killings – The Atlantic
- Wisconsin’s Department of Natural Resources is now pretending not to know about climate change. | Grist
- The PFM-A5 v2.0, A 3D-Printed Paper Airplane Gun That Fires 120 Planes per Minute
What I find coolest is that it’s not just shooting the paper airplanes; it’s folding them.
- House Republicans will ring in the new year with a plan to permanently cripple government
- Don’t forget that progressives have made remarkable strides – The Unit of Caring
- Do Women Date Assholes? A Study | Thing of Things
- What are the odds you’ll stop harassing trans kids? (Gender Analysis) | Gender Analysis
- Is any bit of positive fiscal impulse worth the money? | Jared Bernstein | On the Economy
- Science and race
- All I Want for Christmas Is to Get Out of Immigration Detention | American Civil Liberties Union
- After 10-year Legal Battle, a Victory for Undocumented Workers Injured on the Job | American Civil Liberties Union
- Fixing Bad Fatty Memes | Dances With Fat
- On The Baby It’s Cold Outside Discourse | Thing of Things
- Talking Points Memo editor Josh Marshall apparently accidentally tweeted out a porn video. Marshall is being a pretty good sport about it, or maybe trying to pass it off as a joke; some of the replies to his tweet are pretty hilarious.
- Blame the Bay Area housing crisis for the Ghost Ship fire.
- There is no good reason not to let felons in prison have voting rights.
- A video of tardigrade sex
- Why Uber Is Losing Money Faster Than Any Tech Company Ever
Basically, they can’t both make money and pay drivers. This author argues that Uber’s only long-term route to profit is self-driving cars.
- Maybe God’s Word Wasn’t As Infallible As He Thought
- Voters Really Did Switch To Trump At The Last Minute | FiveThirtyEight
- Reuters: 3,000 Neighborhoods Have Higher Lead Levels Than Flint | Mother Jones
- Federal Court Upholds Dismissal of Deputy Clerk Who Refused to Process Same-Sex Marriage License – Art Leonard Observations – Art Leonard Observations
- Duterte: I Personally Killed Suspects To Show The Police How It Is Done | JONATHAN TURLEY
So, see, it is possible to have a worse president than Trump.
- Attempts: Poem of the Day Year: Good Bones