- Ponies | Popehat
The Ponies category at Popehat is awesome. You will learn more about the pony threat then you ever imagined. (Thanks Mandolin!)
- Why Trump wants to get rid of the “Johnson Amendment”
If Churches can become tax-free political campaigning organizations, that gives them an enormous advantage over orgs like Planned Parenthood. It’s also a way for political donors to hide their identities.
- U.S. judge finds that Aetna misled the public about its reasons for quitting Obamacare – LA Times
Calling them assholes seems so inadequate.
- Anne Frank Today Is a Syrian Girl – The New York Times
- At least 300 people form barrier to shield Portland churchgoers from harassment | OregonLive.com
Three “Alas” folks – Charles, Ben and myself – were there for this.
- AP: Trump’s voter fraud expert registered to vote in 3 states
There’s no indication that he’s ever double-voted, but this is still notable, since Trump has cited double-registrations as evidence of voter fraud.
- TransGriot: Boy Scouts To Allow Transmasculine Boys To Join
- At GOP leaders’ urging, Texas Supreme Court will consider undoing gay spousal rights | LGBT | Dallas News
- The White Nationalists Come to Washington | New Republic
- Feral Bunnies Are Taking Over Las Vegas | Atlas Obscura
I can’t understand why they don’t make trapping and eating the adorable little things legal.
- South Dakota lawmakers declare state of ’emergency’ to force repeal of voter-imposed ethics law
“The bill guts all of the Act’s provisions, including creation of an independent ethics commission, limits on lobbyists gifts to politicians, tougher penalties for bribery, stronger transparency, and a two-year ban on politicians becoming lobbyists when they leave office.” There are parts of the law which should be modified or clarified, but wholesale repeal? They just want to be corrupt.
- The Myth of the Well-Behaved Women’s March | New Republic
“Bad behavior is enough to lead to arrests, but good behavior isn’t enough to avoid it. If the cops didn’t arrest anyone, it’s because they didn’t want to.”
- Report: hundreds of US hospitals follow Catholic rules on reproductive care | Society | The Guardian
Which leads to cases like what happened to Mindy Swank.
- Repealing the Affordable Care Act will kill more than 43,000 people annually – The Washington Post
- Democrats Want To Pick Their Battles With Trump. Their Base Wants All-Out War. | The Huffington Post
- President Trump’s illegal-voter paranoia is a fantasy. But the consequences are real. – Vox
- This Stat Will Make Your EPOP | The American Conservative
Thanks to Harlequin for this link, about the prime-age EPOP: “The employment-to-population ratio for adults between the ages of 25 and 54.” This is a good statistic to look at, not instead of but beside the unemployment rate. The EPOP has mostly recovered since the 2008 recession, but there’s still a ways to go.
- Why Donald Trump Has Made American Less Safe From Terrorism
- Are Factory Jobs Good Jobs? – Lawyers, Guns & Money
Not if they’re not union jobs.
- Sentencing Law and Policy: The hardest of cases for death penalty abolitionists: convicted murderer who keeps murdering while in prison
- On Male Feminists | Thing of Things
- Montreal’s Car-Free Street Network Gets Bigger All the Time – Streetsblog USA
- Trump to CIA: We now have 2nd Chance to take Iraq’s Oil
- German court rules that firebombing a synagogue is not anti-Semitic – Vox
- NAFTA Has Been Awesome for Mexico???? – Lawyers, Guns & Money
Not so much.
- heron61 | Thoughts on 2 Films – Passengers (2016) & The World, the Flesh, and the Devil (1959)
- The Lesson of 2016: Rabid Congressional Investigations Work | Mother Jones
- Graphic essay: What the Civil Rights Movement can teach us about surviving Trump | Fusion
- How Louis CK Tells A Joke – YouTube
- You’re Fired: Political discourse in the age of Trump | Liza Featherstone
I wish I could cut the final sentence – which is yet another iteration of the “it’s because of liberals I disagree with that Trump was elected!” cliche – but other than that, this essay criticizing the left for calling for people to be fired is spot-on, and by spot-on I mean it says things I agree with.
- Eli Whitney, inventor of the cotton gin, wasn’t black. But here’s why so many people think he was.
- Quebec City imam’s profoundly magnanimous eulogy includes white gunman in list of victims.
Thanks to Closetpuritan for this and the previous two links.
- Arkansas passes law allowing rapists to sue victims who want an abortion | The Independent
Specifically, the law allows a husband to sue his wife’s doctor to prevent her from getting an abortion, even in cases where the husband raped the wife. That headline-grabbing news is disgusting and noteworthy, but the broader principle in the law – that a husband has an ownership stake in his wife’s body – is also disgusting.
- Partisan Redistricting Goes To Court | The American Conservative
- Resistance, and Being a "Sore Loser" – Greta Christina’s Blog
- Milo and the Violent, Well-Funded Right-Wing Attacks on Academic Freedom
- Anarchists, NOT Cal students, responsible for violence in UC Berkeley protests – California Golden Blogs
- The Debate Link: Berkeley’s Partially Pregnant Protests
Very good points from David Schraub: “The fact of the matter is that there were three speeches scheduled at Berkeley last night.” Thanks to Harlequin for the link.
- Carl Beijer: Nazi punching probably doesn’t matter either way
- On Punching Nazis | Popehat
- The Long History of "Nazi Punching" | Mother Jones
Click here to support Amp's political cartooning!
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
- Lawyers Guns and Money
- Not Sorry Feminism
Gif of the Day
6 hours ago
- We Hunted the Mammoth
How The Thunder Can Become A Dream Team
17 hours ago
- Crooked Timber
As Nature Shows Them
18 hours ago
Happy Turkey Day 2017
18 hours ago
- Love, Joy, Feminism
- Echidne of the Snakes
Away From the Internet Through 12/3
- RH Reality Check
- The Volokh Conspiracy
- Thing of Things
Civility Is Never Neutral
- Election Law Blog
- The Incidental Economist
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets