- The case for having the federal government guarantee a job for every9oe who wants one – Democracy Journal
I’m worried about unintentional effects if this were to happen, but I’m also intrigued by the idea.
- One of the “Death Panels” Republicans talk about.
End-of-life counseling is a good thing.
- What’s in a name? More than we can imagine – Media Diversified
“The truth is, I only became Millie less than a year ago. Before that, I had a Sikh Punjabi first name.”
- The Conservative Christian Boycott of Disney’s Beauty and the Beast Is the Height of Hypocrisy
- In Trump’s ‘Maternity Leave’ Plan, The Devil — and the Stereotypes — Are In the Details | American Civil Liberties Union
Unmarried women are excluded. So are fathers.
- Supreme Court Won’t Hear Case, But Justice Thomas Questions Constitutionality Of Asset Forfeiture
One of those rare cases when I’m rooting for Justice Thomas to prevail.
- House GOP would let employers demand workers’ genetic test results
- After decades in America, the newly deported return to a Mexico they barely recognize – The Washington Post
- Trump’s Childcare Plan Will Only Help the Rich | The Nation
- The boycott against Beauty and the Beast is about much more than the movie – Vox
In terms of the business the movie will do, or the audience’s access, it’s meaningless. But it is a chance for one or both sides to make a public display of their principles.
- Former Colorado GOP chairman Steven Curtis charged with voter fraud – 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com
Last year, he said this: “It seems to be, and correct me if I’m wrong here, but virtually every case of voter fraud I can remember in my lifetime was committed by Democrats.” Incidentally, Curtis’ alleged voter fraud was committed with an absentee ballot (he’s accused of forging his wife’s ballot), so voter ID laws would do nothing in a case like this.
- The prison business is booming in rural America and there’s no end – Business Insider
- Payment Processors are Still Policing Your Sex Life, and the Latest Victim is FetLife | Electronic Frontier Foundation
- The new hysteria over campus speech – Lawyers, Guns & Money : Lawyers, Guns & Money
- Charles Murray and the Problem With ‘Hiring Out’ to Understand the White Working Class – The Atlantic
- Marriage Equality = Fewer Adolescents Killing Themselves. Some Implications: | And Taking It Personally
- The FDA Has Revolutionized Drug Approvals Over the Past Decade | Mother Jones
Approval wait times for new drugs may now be as low as we could reasonably want them to be.
- It’s Not Just Uber | Jacobin
Sexism is not a solved problem.
- Dartmouth researchers find no evidence of bused-in voters
Yet another lie about large-scale voting fraud that will be leveraged to justify voter suppression. Wheeee!
- Report: Trump transition ordered government economists to cook up rosy growth forecasts – Vox
- Seven Troubling Questions About Transgender Theories, Answered | Thing of Things
Ozy answers some evangelical right concern-trolling.
- A Conservative Wisconsin Legislator Models Political Correctness – The Atlantic
Conor’s framing creates a false equivalence; legislators acting this way are a far greater threat to free speech than campus protesters are. But I guess we should be grateful that he was actually willing to criticize a threat to free speech from the right.
- The Debate Link: Personal Responsibility and the Infantilization of the American Right
This is an older post, but it’s spot-on, and Trump’s ridiculous claim that the Democrats are to blame for the AHCA’s Hindenburg moment has brought it to my mind again.
- Paper Cutouts by ‘Paperboyo’ Transform World Landmarks into Quirky Scenes | Colossal
Click here to support Amp's political cartooning!
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
- Election Law Blog
- RH Reality Check
- Not Sorry Feminism
Do You Want to Talk About Mental Illness?
about an hour ago
The Make-Up Thread
about an hour ago
Our glorious Trumpian educational future
2 hours ago
- Daniel Larison
- Lawyers Guns and Money
Violence, Slavery, and the Human Experience
3 hours ago
- The Incidental Economist
As Idaho goes, so goes the nation.
5 hours ago
- Ann Leckie's Blog
Nebula Award Finalists!
6 hours ago
- Love, Joy, Feminism
TTUAC: Life without Struggle Has No Achievement
13 hours ago
- Crooked Timber
- Brute Reason
Why I Told My Clients I Have Cancer
- We Hunted the Mammoth
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets