- McConnell Calls for Repeal of Obamacare After Republican Defections – The Atlantic
“Repeal and Replace” has failed; McConnell and Trump are now both advocating for “Repeal Now, Replace Later.”
- Related: Repealing Obamacare without replacing it would be a disaster – The Washington Post
- Détour — A film by Michel Gondry – YouTube
This ten-minute film, about a tricycle trying to find its way back to its owner, is pretty awesome. And it was shot on an IPhone. (Gondry is probably most famous in the US for co-writing “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.”)
- What you should know about that really nasty anti-trans bill in Congress.
I don’t think this bill could get through the Senate – it can’t be passed through reconciliation, as Charles pointed out to me, so it would need Democratic support to pass.
- A basic income really could end poverty forever – Vox
Note the word left out of the headline – “universal.” Good article, though.
- Spectacular Online Responses to 13th Doctor Jodie Whittaker | The Mary Sue
About time! But good for them. Now let’s see a non-white Doctor next.
- What’s the point of an anti-immigrant left? – Vox
- The gap between black and white infant mortality is creeping up again, leaving researchers puzzled
- California decided it was tired of women bleeding to death in childbirth – Vox
“The maternal mortality rate in the state is a third of the American average. Here’s why.” Good long-form article. The US’s high maternal mortality rates could be reversed nationwide; if it doesn’t happen, the reason will be political, not medical. As Grace says, “The US doesn’t value women, as demonstrated by our maternal mortality rates.” (Thanks for the link, Grace!)
- Fresh trans myths of 2017: “rapid onset gender dysphoria” | Gender Analysis
- Easter Islanders Didn’t Cause Ecological Disaster on Their Island, New Research Finds | Archaeology, Paleoanthropology | Sci-News.com
- Black Girls Are Viewed as Less Innocent and More Adultlike Than White Girls: Study
- Origami Squid and Octopus Sculptures That Pop Up When Dropped and an Origami Wolf That Pulls Its Mask Off
- Globalisation: the rise and fall of an idea that swept the world | World news | The Guardian
- Transgender People and “Biological Sex” Myths – Julia Serano – Medium
- The law expects civilians to remain calm even when police don’t | Charlotte Observer
Police are provided with de-escalation training, but some civilian need to de-escalate cops to survive.
- How bosses are (literally) like dictators – Vox
- Pocahontas Was a Mistake, and Here’s Why! – YouTube
This half-hour video essay, looking at how Disney’s approach changed between “Pocahontas” and “Moana,” is really excellent.
- Medicaid Worsens Your Health? That’s a Classic Misinterpretation of Research – The New York Times
- Medicaid is good for children and makes them better adults | The Incidental Economist
Because Medicaid was originally implemented years apart in different states, there are interesting comparisons that can be made across states. (Hat-tip to Grace.)
- The Selfie Monkey Goes to the Ninth Circuit – Motherboard
PETA, acting (they say) on behalf of the monkey, is suing the human photographer.
- Excommunicate Me from the Church of Social Justice | Autostraddle
- St. Louis minimum wage will drop from $10 to $7.70 | Local News | stlamerican.com
- And on the other side of the spectrum: Seattle City Council Passes High-Earner Income Tax – Slog – The Stranger
Might not be legal, though – it’s going to take a lawsuit to find out.
- 4chan trolls want to ‘quell’ anti-Trump dissent by shutting down DIY venues and art spaces – The Verge
- What European Political Philosophy Has to Say Today (with tweets) · kpanyc · StorifyLengthy Twitter storm by a NYU history professor, arguing that it’s impossible to understand today’s politics (or the 20th century, really) without looking at the role of nationalism, and also that the Republican party cannot be said to be “conservative.”
- Japanese-American in Boston: Kimono Wednesdays protest postmortem.
This very long (3 parts!) 2015 post, by a Japanese-American blogger who followed the Kimono protests closely and is very critical of the protestors, is well-written and had information I hadn’t read before.
- Steve Trevor, Joss Whedon, and the men getting in the way of Wonder Woman · For Our Consideration · The A.V. Club
- The most alarming Trump administration attack on voting rights might come from the Department of Justice, not from Kobach’s commission. | HuffPost
- And a longer-form article going deeper into the voter purge issue: These Three Lawyers Are Quietly Purging Voter Rolls Across the Country – Mother Jones
- Medicaid Beneficiaries Are Happy With Care : Shots – Health News : NPR
- Why does Trump’s voting commission want data it shouldn’t have? | TheHill
- One Person, One Vote: Estimating the Prevalence of Double Voting in U.S. Presidential Elections
“We find their proposed purging strategy would eliminate about 200 registrations used to cast legitimate votes for every one registration used to cast a double vote.”
- Trump’s Trolls Are Waging War on America’s Civil Servants | Foreign Policy
- The World Doesn’t Mooch Off U.S. Health-Care Research – Bloomberg
- Unions’ Effect on Productivity – ProfessorBainbridge.com
Storing this here in part because it’s relevant to an upcoming political cartoon.
- A Good Cartoon — mlk and civil rights protests in cartoons: then, as now
- Yasmine Weiss’s Strange, Intimate Portraits | Hi-Fructose Magazine
Click here to support Amp's political cartooning!
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
‘Tis the season
24 minutes ago
- Lawyers Guns and Money
27 minutes ago
The Whatever Digest, 9/18/18
29 minutes ago
- RH Reality Check
- Election Law Blog
“Campaign Donor Disclosure Fate May Hinge on Kavanaugh Vote”
about an hour ago
Trump Declassifies Documents in Brazen Authoritarian Move
about an hour ago
- Thing of Things
Link Post for August
about an hour ago
- Love, Joy, Feminism
- Daniel Larison
Another Pointless Round of NATO Expansion Awaits
13 hours ago
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- Crooked Timber
Time to join the generation game?
15 hours ago
- Not Sorry Feminism
Gif of the Day
16 hours ago
- Racism Review
US Open: Much Gendered-Racist Framing
20 hours ago
23 hours ago
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets