- Woman Gives Up Teaching To Create Optical Illusions With Makeup, And It’s Messing With Our Minds | Bored Panda
- Here’s What Really Happened In Charlottesville
- Mama Cass didn’t die of choking on a ham sandwich; she died as a result of dieting.
- Trump’s Sensitivity to Being Laughed at Should Alarm Everyone – Rewire
Grace sent this link to me, saying that it reminded her of our conversation about toxic masculinity.
- Medicare-for-All Isn’t the Solution for Universal Health Care | The Nation
Progressives have to start sweating the details of universal health coverage.
- Everything About Disney and ABC’s ‘Pink Slime’ Settlement Should Scare the Hell Out of You
“veggie libel” laws aren’t as sexy as discussing protesters on campus, but they’re much more dangerous to free speech.
- Maryland City May Let Noncitizens Vote, a Proposal With Precedent – The New York Times
- Voter Suppression in the Mirror and Looking Forward
A review of some of the voter suppression measures conservatives are pushing.
- What Trump gets wrong about Confederate statues, in one chart – Vox
“Washington was a slave owner, yes, but the meaning of a Washington statue is not necessarily pro-slavery or pro-white supremacy — whereas that’s exactly the point of the vast majority of Confederate memorials in the United States.”
- Debate over civil rights center at UNC focuses on advocacy and academic freedom
Republicans in North Carolina’s congress are shutting down a civil rights center at a law school. Academic freedom, everybody!
- Officials say immigration agents showed up at labor dispute proceedings. California wants them out – LA Times
- Students say Christian college turned a blind eye to serial rapists – ThinkProgress
- The Lost Cause Rides Again
Ta-Nahisi Coates on HBO’s announced “Confederate” TV series. I’m withholding judgement to small degree – maybe the show itself will be so brilliant as to answer all of Coates’ concerns and change everyone’s minds – but I’m extremely skeptical that it will be that good.
- An anti-immigrant group mistook empty bus seats for women wearing burqas – The Washington Post
- Doxing isn’t about privacy—it’s about abuse | The Daily Dot
An interesting and, I think, useful way of redefining how we thing about doxing. “Doxing isn’t about exposure. Instead, it’s a form of weaponized attention. “
- Why Trump Invokes ‘Common Sense’ – The Atlantic
“…for centuries, populist movements in particular have invoked common sense as a justification for policy goals and as an antidote to expert opinion.”
- What Jeff Sessions Will Never Understand About Affirmative Action
- Affirmative Action and the Myth of Reverse Racism – The Atlantic
- “I lied to my wife about liking john mayer; my life now revolves around his music and I’m looking for clarity.”
- In ‘Death Wish,’ Jews Gain From White Fascist Fantasies – The Forward
I don’t agree with everything Noah writes here, but I did find it interesting.
- Octopus and squid evolution is officially weirder than we could have ever imagined – ScienceAlert
“… scientists have discovered that octopuses, along with some squid and cuttlefish species, routinely edit their RNA (ribonucleic acid) sequences to adapt to their environment.”
- South Carolina town bans saggy pants: Can they do that? – CSMonitor.com
I hope they get sued and lose badly. And really, are we supposed to think it’s just a big coincidence that it’s a Black fashion they go after?
- Could A Bus With Sleep Pods Replace Airplanes? | WBEZ
Well, maybe for short flights.
- Is Jesse Singal a Bigot? | www.splicetoday.com
An older controversy, about an academic who wrote an article that was widely criticized, and then widely defended.
- Sizeism Is Harming Too Many of Us: Fat Shaming Must Stop | Psychology Today
Focuses on how anti-fat prejudice harms fat patients in the medical system.
- Dear Men of The Breakfast Club: Trans Women Aren’t a Joke, Ploy, or Sexual Predators | Allure
Article by Janet Mock responding to a morning radio show.
- In the key 2018 battlegrounds, Trump’s support is as high as ever – Vox
If this holds up, Trump could win re-election in 2020 while losing the popular vote by an even larger margin.
- …Or he could postpone the election, and if he does a lot of Republicans say they’d support him. Poll: Half of GOPers Open to Postponing of 2020 Elections
- “Rapid Onset Gender Dysphoria” Is Bad Science | Thing of Things
I found the end point especially interesting, because I hadn’t considered that before, but the whole thing is good.
- Psychologists surveyed hundreds of alt-right supporters. The results are unsettling. – Vox
- Cartoon below is by Irma Kniivila.
Click here to support Amp's political cartooning!
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
- Echidne of the Snakes
- Not Sorry Feminism
Gif of the Day
3 hours ago
- The Feminist Librarian
- Lawyers Guns and Money
Hot and Thirsty: A Friday Night Open Thread
4 hours ago
The Virtual Pub Is Open
5 hours ago
New Books and ARCs, 3/23/18
8 hours ago
- RH Reality Check
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- Daniel Larison
Trump’s Empty Message to Iranians
9 hours ago
- Election Law Blog
- Scott Wood Makes Lists
The Real and Beautiful Truth of The Fat Boys
12 hours ago
- Love, Joy, Feminism
Voice in the Wind: Freedom from Fear
18 hours ago
- For Harriet
- The Incidental Economist
It’s time to reform the 340B program
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets