- Trump’s Awful Afghanistan Speech | The American Conservative
It’s important to remember that many of Trump’s reality-denying beliefs – such as his conviction there was any legal or pragmatic way to remain in Iraq in 2011 – are completely mainstream, ordinary views among Republicans at every level.
- Texas’ congressional delegation famously voted against aiding the Northeast after Hurricane Sandy – and those same folks are now asking for help. And they’ll get it (as they should). But it’s hard not to feel like this is representative of a larger problem – conservative states demand aid when they’re in trouble, but don’t lift a finger to help the rest of us. (And by the way, Cruz’s “the Sandy bill was two-thirds pork” claim is total bullshit.)
- Globalisation: the rise and fall of an idea that swept the world | World news | The Guardian
- A (Cis) Man Spied on Women in Target; A Christian Group is Blaming Trans People – Friendly Atheist
- The truth about “political correctness” is that it doesn’t actually exist – Vox
This article is a couple of years old, but I was reminded of it on Twitter, and I think it holds up well.
- Really fascinating article, by an college professor who emigrated from Iran, about the friendship she struck up with an Iranian hacker who stole her Instagram account.
- Arizona Unconstitutionally Banned Mexican-American Studies Classes, Judge Rules | HuffPost
But only the left is attacking free speech on campus.
- Psychedelic drugs ‘as safe as riding a bike or playing soccer’ and could help solve addiction | The Independent
- Forbidden love: The WW2 letters between two men – BBC News
This line is so on the nose that if it were in fiction editors would object: “Wouldn’t it be wonderful if all our letters could be published in the future in a more enlightened time. Then all the world could see how in love we are.”
- Federal Judge Clears the Way For Uber and Lyft Drivers to Unionize – Slog – The Stranger
- Interesting twitter thread on who is considered “fat” withing the fat-positive community.
- Scott Adams’s Nihilistic Defense of Donald Trump
Highlights of a conversation between Sam Harris and Scott Adams.
- Lessons from camels
A ten-day camel trek through the South Australian outback. With your parents.
- Trump Supporters Think White Christians Are The Primary Victims Of Discrimination In America – Public Policy Polling
Also, “Trump voters say they would rather have Jefferson Davis as President than Barack Obama 45/20.”
- Charlottesville Was a Preview of the Future of the Republican Party
“This is the state of the GOP leadership pipeline. In a decade, state legislatures will start filling up with Gamergaters, MRAs, /pol/ posters, Anime Nazis, and Proud Boys.”
- UK Government’s attempt to deport Afghan asylum seeker fails after pilot refuses to take off | The Independent
Activists spoke to other passengers on the plane, who spoke to the crew, who passed their concerns on to the pilot.
- These Women Entrepreneurs Created A Fake Male Cofounder To Dodge Startup Sexism
- “Being transgender is a mental illness”: What does the DSM really say? | Gender Analysis
- If you’re looking for a smart light comedy to watch, I recommend Submissions Only, a made-for-the-web sitcom about auditioning for Broadway shows, starring, written and co-directed by Kate Wetherhead, an actress I’d previously only known from the Legally Blonde musical. I think that even people who aren’t nerds for musicals could enjoy this show (although if you are such a nerd, you’ll have fun spotting all the well-known Broadway faces doing cameos).
- Democrats’ 2018 gerrymandering problem is really bad – Vox
“A leading forecast says they’ll get 54% of the votes — and only 47% of the seats.”
- Houston isn’t flooded because of its land use planning.
- Hitting Harmony
“I am now twenty-three and all I can think about is how that’s the same age Harmony Korine was when I wrote E-N-V-Y on my fist and socked him in the head.” What a bizarre person. Thanks to Ben L. for the link.
- “If you reflexively oppose antifa today, you probably would have opposed the lunch counter sit-ins in 1960.”
I was skeptical when I read this tweet – but persuaded by the time I had read the entire thread. The thread is by Angus Johnson, who I think is a CUNY professor.
- 72 Women. 1250 Miles. No GPS.
“I competed in America’s first all-female endurance road rally. I’d never even changed a tire.”
- Climate change did not “cause” Harvey, but it’s a huge part of the story – Vox
“‘Adaptation’ will mean figuring out who has to leave, who has to pay for resettlement, and who bears the cost of the abandoned city’s infrastructure as it rots, crumbles, and pollutes.”
- Federal Judge Blocks Alabama Law That Put Minors Seeking Abortion on Trial – Ms. Magazine Blog
- Profile of Danny Rubin, the writer of “Groundhog Day” (both the movie and the musical).
Very frustrating that he wrote a bunch of screenplays which were turned down for playing with formal elements rather than using standard structure. That’s exactly what makes Groundhog Day great!
- North Carolina Passes An Entirely Misguided Restore Campus Free Speech Act | Techdirt
“The proponents of this law will want to say that this refers to students rioting, or accosting would-be invited speakers, but there are already laws on the books to prosecute those crimes. Instead, this law seeks to punish students that attempt to shut down speaking engagements via peaceful protest, which is a form of speech.”
- STUDY: How ‘Status Offenses’ Push Students of Color, Queer Kids Into Criminal Justice System | Colorlines
- The First Amendment (Literally) Banned in DC | American Civil Liberties Union
- Sentencing Law and Policy: Should and will SCOTUS take up constitutional challenge to Minnesota’s sex offender confinement program?
Yes, they definitely should. “The core of the case is that the state set up what it said was going to be a civil commitment program. And the core definition of that is people get out, and that’s exactly what is missing in the Minnesota program. It’s not just missing here or there, it’s systemically missing.”
- Titleist Tees Up Lawsuit Against Parody Clothier Because Golf Doesn’t Have A Sense Of Humor | Techdirt
We should see cases like this as free speech issues.
- The Disabled Life is a comic strip by and about “two Canadian sisters documenting the jerks and perks of living #TheDisabledLife.” I’ve been enjoying their archives today.
- Noah Scalin’s Portraits Made from Piles of Clothes | Hi-Fructose Magazine
- Violent no-platforming of Milo and Charles Murray raised both their profiles.
I feel like I did a cartoon about this.
Click here to support Amp's political cartooning!
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
History is hard
2 hours ago
- Love, Joy, Feminism
- Lawyers Guns and Money
3 hours ago
Significant Digits For Monday, Aug. 20, 2018
4 hours ago
- The Incidental Economist
- Echidne of the Snakes
Corporations As Luggage
5 hours ago
Welcome To Womanhood
10 hours ago
- Election Law Blog
- Daniel Larison
The Massacre of the Innocents in Yemen
11 hours ago
- Long Story; Short Pier
The worth of dirt
11 hours ago
15 hours ago
- Brute Reason
Intuitive Eating Made Me Miss My Flight
18 hours ago
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- This Is So Gay
- Crooked Timber
Do The Nordic Codetermination Moonwalk
2 days ago
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets