Whoops, there are forty links here. I really should have posted this sooner.
- Maybe Voting Before Healthcare? | Noah Berlatsky on Patreon
Noah argues, and I agree, that voting rights should be the top priority of Democrats, not Medicare For All.
- Republican House Majority Whip in the South Dakota legislature calls running over protesters ‘a movement we can all support’ – ThinkProgress
The article includes another example of an elected politician, and also Fox News, promoting the idea that protestors should be run over.
- Forced-To-Penetrate Cases: Lived Experiences of Men (pdf link)
A British survey of men who have been forced to penetrate (the paper’s term) by women. This is very interesting, although we should keep in mind that it’s a self-selected sample; I’d really like to similar questions asked by a large-scale survey using a more representative sample.
- Not Sorry Feminism: Dear Millennial Men
A study finds that male students in college, in biology class, consistently see their female counterparts as less intelligent and accomplished, even in classes where the grade leaders are female. The female students had no corresponding bias. (Thanks, Grace!)
- How Black Women Have Impacted Feminism Over Time | Teen Vogue
- Neoliberal academia complex shows its ass: Harvard rejects Manning, Jones, unions
But the only free speech problem on campus comes from the left. (Thanks, Grace!)
- Bernie Sanders Is Changing the Democratic Party’s Priorities – Bloomberg
It doesn’t matter, for now, that his Medicare for All bill has no funding mechanism; the point is to raise the priority of Medicare for All as a core belief among Democrats. Other, wonkier politicians will work out the details if MFA becomes a central Democratic belief.
- Comics – Index of Multi-Panel Pans by Decade | THE PERIODIC FABLE
I love these sorts of panels (where a background continues across multiple panels). I’ve long contemplated trying to do a full-length comic with a single continuous background.
- ICE Is Abusing the ACLU’s Clients Because They are Fighting Deportation | American Civil Liberties Union
” ICE appears to have ramped up its efforts to make the lives of Iraqis in custody so unbearable that they will “voluntarily” sign away their rights to reopen their immigration cases or pursue asylum. The Iraqis have been singled out and denied food, water, and access to the restroom.”
- The well-meaning harm of “the last acceptable discrimination.”
An essay by a fat writer about a phrase she’d rather not hear.
- Single-payer isn’t the only progressive option on health care – Vox
The goal should be universal coverage, not single payer.
- In Sync We Trust: Pop Music’s History of Lip-Syncing (and Lying About It)
- Reflections on Abjection and Fatphobia – Kiva Bay – Medium
“What does it mean to separate a part of your body from your Self? To look in the mirror and tell yourself you are surrounded by some alien Other thing?”
- To Understand Rising Inequality, Consider the Janitors at Two Top Companies, Then and Now – The New York Times
1980s at Kodac versus today at Apple. Alternative link.
- The generation game | Inside Story
Regarding “baby boomers, generation X, and so on”: “I’ve now concluded that generational clichés are the ultimate zombie idea, easy to refute but impossible to kill.”
- How I Learned to Love Being a Hairy Lady – by Vreni
Long-form cartoon, with nice drawings. Mostly autobio, but also some interesting stuff about the history of shaved legs.
- A Serf on Google’s Farm – Talking Points Memo
How Google’s near-monopoly on many aspects of online publishing effects publishing.
- Two Circles by Micah Lexier – YouTube.
“Two Circles” is an attractive but also unimpressive piece of public art, in the photos of it I’ve seen. But this video of the making of it is hypnotic.
- Deaf Advocates Call Oklahoma Police Shooting ‘Tragic but Not Surprising’ – NBC News
- Antifa Broke My Camera | New Republic
- The Resegregation of Jefferson County – The New York Times
- Trump supporter tries to get undocumented classmate deported, gets expelled from college
- Confessions From The Fattest Person At The Sex Party
Content warning: Discussion of fax anxiety in an extremely anxiety-producing situation.
- Congress prepares to do the bare minimum to stabilize Obamacare – Vox
And even that level of accomplishment may be a stretch.
- (1) The Adorkable Misogyny of The Big Bang Theory – YouTube
Although honestly, one 20 minute video can barely scratch the surface of the sexism of this show.
- How to Distinguish Between Antifa, White Supremacists, and Black Lives Matter
- From Prison to Ph.D.: The Redemption and Rejection of Michelle Jones – The New York Times
Harvard accepts, and then rejects, an applicant who served 20 years in prison for murdering her son – partly out of fear of what Fox News would say. The research Michelle Jones did (in prison!) is really impressive.
- David’s Ankles: How Imperfections Could Bring Down the World’s Most Perfect Statue – The New York Times
A long read, but I liked it. (Although I have to admit I was more interested in the story of David than the parallel story of the author’s personal growth.) Indirect link.
- Study: Trump fans are much angrier about housing assistance when they see an image of a black man – Vox
- I posted a long thread on Twitter about the anger of anti-SJW comics fans, which to my surprise got a LOT of views and responses.
ETA: Oh, and now someone has made it into a Storify, which may make for easier reading.
- Teacher accused of assaulting student who sat for Pledge | MLive.com
- Fuck The Pledge of Allegiance – Intelexual Media
- Inside The Federal Bureau Of Way Too Many Guns | GQ
A federal bureau that is legally forbidden to use computer databases tries to track down guns for murder investigations.
- Consentacle: A Card Game of Human-Alien Intimacy by Naomi Clark — Kickstarter
This looks like it could be a fun game. Thanks to Grace for the link.
- DACA’s Five-Year Anniversary: More than 100 Law Professors Support Legality of DACA
- How the Courts Have Devastated Organized Labor – Lawyers, Guns & Money
- Funnybook Babylon · Archives · Re-Coloring Moebius
Examples and discussion of the horrendous recoloring of a comics classic. Although actually I think in the third example, it actually looks better in the newer colors; but in the first two examples, the recoloring is a travesty. Also, the choice to switch to a much more typical lettering font sucked.
- The problem with how men perceive rape
“While writing this story, I heard from a number of different women who’d had sexual experiences that weren’t quite rape, but didn’t feel completely consensual either.”
- Comic strip: What If We Thought Of Gender Like Ice Cream? It Makes Sense, Here’s Why – Everyday Feminism
- The Effects of ‘Ban the Box’ on the Employment of Black Men | Econofact
Research finds that if employers can’t ask if applicants have ever been convicted of a crime, they respond by increasing discrimination against young Black men. But then others argue that that interpretation of the studies is flawed (pdf link). There’s also a in-depth discussion in this paper from the Urban Institute (pdf link).