(Photo found on Bill Mudron’s twitter.)
- Open Enrollment for AFFORDABLE HEALTHCARE Started Yesterday | And Taking It Personally
- Rigged: How Voter Suppression Threw Wisconsin to Trump – Mother Jones
- Unsealed Documents Show That Kris Kobach Is Dead Set on Suppressing the Right to Vote | American Civil Liberties Union
Also note that Kobach directly lied about the existence of these documents.
- Things That Are Hillary Clinton’s Fault, Starting With Harvey Weinstein | Literary Hub
- Is Washington bungling the Census?
The statistics branches of the government – not only the Census, although the Census is crucial – are critically underfunded.
- EPA cancels talks by 3 agency scientists at Providence event – News – providencejournal.com – Providence, RI
Because Republican policy is to shut up scientists rather than permitting them to talk about climate change. They really are the anti-science party.
- Activists at Reed College are disrupting lectures to protest “white supremacy,” but many students are taking steps to stop them – The Atlantic
- Chattanooga man loses job after sitting during national anthem at weekend event | WTVC
It’s perfectly legal for them to fire this dude, but imo it shouldn’t be. Private employers aren’t the government, of course – but in practice, most working people are not rich and cannot risk losing their job. Employers policing what employees say off the job is an enormous threat to people’s real freedom to speak out.
- Stop Calling Women Nags — How Emotional Labor is Dragging Down Gender Equality
Thanks to Grace for the link.
- Inside Sammy’s Bowery Follies, the scuzziest, greatest dive bar of all time (circa 1940s).
- The Bump Stock Millionaire and the Las Vegas Massacre – Bloomberg
But he needn’t worry about his invention being outlawed: Three Weeks After Las Vegas, Legislation to Ban Bump Stocks Has Stalled Out In Congress
- The Obamas Choose Kehinde Wiley and Amy Sherald to Paint Their Official Portraits for the Smithsonian
Both artists produce works that are very skilled (as is always the case for the artists selected for these gigs) and very interesting (which is not always the case).
- Schrödinger’s Fat Girl – Medium
“The replies come to no consensus but rather devolve into arguments about whether Blizzard’s art of Mei has depicted her as fat or not.”
- There’s No Fire Alarm for Artificial General Intelligence – Machine Intelligence Research Institute
Linked for the intro, which argues that the main function of fire alarms isn’t to tell us that there’s a fire, but to make it socially acceptable for us to flee the building.
- Many of us know this famous picture of Tommie Smith and John Carlos. But few know the bravery and tragedy of the white guy, Peter Norman.
- Distinctions Between Natalism Positions | Thing of Things
- The Inequality Beneath the Sexual-Harassment Headlines – The Atlantic
“The problem is worse in low-profile, low-accountability, and low-wage industries.”
- When I was nineteen years old, Elie Wiesel grabbed my ass.
“While other men have done, technically, worse things to me, Wiesel’s actions were, in some ways, more sorrow-inducing. Perhaps bad people do bad things. Conversely, one might hope, good people don’t do bad things.”
- America’s affordable-housing stock dropped by 60 percent from 2010 to 2016 – The Washington Post
- A Catfishing With a Happy Ending – The Atlantic
This story did not go where I initially expected it to go.
- The Giant Frog Farms of the 1930s Were a Giant Failure – Atlas Obscura
And the most basic problems with the frog-eating industry continue today.
- Why Is Virginia Tech Silent About a White Supremacist Instructor Threatening and Harassing an Undergrad?
And why hasn’t he been fucking fired yet?
- “Wolverine’s head legitimately looks like two Batmans kissing in front of a sunset.”
- Ryan Murphy’s new show ‘Pose’ will feature the largest transgender cast in TV history / LGBTQ Nation
Very cool. I’m a bit disappointed not to see Jamie Clayton on the cast list, I thought she was amazing in Sense8.
- School shootings and the brutalisation of boys
” It seems to me that the feminist mainstream is eager to condemn the brutality of masculinity and the violent excesses of men, but surprisingly reluctant to concern itself with the violent brutalisation of boys that instils that brutality in the first place.”
- The Legion Lonely | HazlittA longer article asks, why are so many men lonely? (Men in particular seem more likely to be lonely as we age.) Lots of interesting material here, too much to sum up in this format.
- Democrats add to ‘Better Deal’ platform with a slew of pro-labor-union ideas – The Washington Post “The main problem facing this installment of the Better Deal is one that’s bedeviled every Democratic policy rollout: The difficulty of getting anyone to notice.” Also quotes some disenchanted union folks saying they’re going to try to advance the cause through referendums.
- Awaiting Trump’s coal comeback, miners reject retraining
This is just depressing.
- The Civil War Was Not a Mistake – The Atlantic
- The Monster Eating Our State and City Budgets : Democracy Journal
“The monster” is underfunded pension benefits, and rising Medicaid costs. This long article outlines the problems and suggests some solutions, focusing mainly on the pension issue.