- High School Is Too Late to Start Teaching Consent to Kids – Rewire
- Emergency rooms are monopolies. Patients pay the price. – Vox
ER “fees rose 89 percent between 2009 and 2015 — rising twice as fast as the price of outpatient health care, and four times as fast as overall health care spending.”
- An ex-cop from Arizona was acquitted for shooting an unarmed, sobbing man – Vox
- After Trent Franks, men worry if asking subordinates to bear their child is still okay – The Washington Post
- Focus group with Alabama voters who are sticking by Roy Moore (HBO) – YouTube
This was from before the election, but I think still interesting slash horrifying.
- Trump Protesters Facing Felonies Say U.S. Wants To Criminalize The First Amendment | HuffPost
“The government would have you believe that everyone, the hundreds of people in that section, are breaking the law simply because they didn’t get up and leave.”
- Letters of Note: To My Old Master
“Jourdon’s 1865 reply to the person who enslaved his family, dictated from his home on August 7th, is everything you could wish for.”
- Obsessing over the deficit could further imperil those whom the tax bill leaves worst off.
“In this interview, Stephanie Kelton, a professor of economics at Stony Brook University and former economic advisor to Bernie Sanders, explains why.”
- “Chain migration,” and why Donald Trump wants to end it, explained – Vox
- The Insane Plan to Give North Korea a ‘Bloody Nose’ | The American Conservative
- A Nashville Man Spent Two Decades Behind Bars. Now The Government Wants Him To Go Back. | Nashville Public Radio
He was let out early by the Obama administration’s initiative to reduce the sentences of people in prison for crack, and by all accounts he is now a model citizen.
- Stash House Stings: When the Government Can Invent Crimes and Criminals | Cato @ Liberty
- Police Officers Should Be Trained in De-Escalation. It Works.
- A Pill to Make Exercise Obsolete | The New Yorker
- Are Soas students right to ‘decolonise’ their minds from western philosophers? | Education | The Guardian
- Yacob and Amo: Africa’s precursors to Locke, Hume and Kant | Aeon Essays
- Professors say they won’t advise students to work or study at U of Rochester
Due to dissatisfaction with how Rochester’s administration protected a professor who was accused of sexual harassment by multiple graduate students and professors.
- How the discovery of extraterrestrial life would change morality | Aeon Essays
- Research suggests that increased pornography reduces rape – TUOC
I think this is interesting. However, the argument that this research proves that porn reduces rape is treating correlation as causation. It could also be the case that the social changes that cause a society to decriminalize porn, also cause a reduction in rape.
- And after I wrote the above, I read this post in which a TUOC reader makes a similar argument (but better).
- ‘The Shed at Dulwich’ was London’s top-rated restaurant. Just one problem: It didn’t exist. – The Washington Post
- Proposed New Jersey Legislation Could Extend Voting Rights to Convicted Criminals | Observer
If this becomes law, then NY will become the third state in which currently-incarcerated felons can vote (the other two are Maine and Vermont).
- Comment on “The Age of Outrage” by Jonathan Haidt – joftius – Medium
- Law Reviews reexamine prison gerrymandering case law | Prison Gerrymandering Project
- Wilfrid Laurier Exonerates Lindsay Shepherd, We Can All Move On Now – VICE
What happened to Shepherd seems inexcusable – especially lying about student complaints when there had been none. Also, I don’t agree with the “move on now” message of the headline, exactly; this specific incident is being put to bed, but there are larger issues involved.
- Interesting graph of single motherhood rates and crime rates from Philip Cohen.
The two trends, which once appeared to be moving in tandem, have seemingly diverged completely.
Click here to support Amp's political cartooning!
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
- Crooked Timber
3 hours ago
- Lawyers Guns and Money
4 hours ago
- Election Law Blog
- Daniel Larison
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- Not Sorry Feminism
Gif of the Day
11 hours ago
- For Harriet
Question of the Day
12 hours ago
What Is A Democrat?
13 hours ago
- RH Reality Check
Politics Podcast: What If Trump Fires Mueller?
13 hours ago
- The Incidental Economist
There is such a thing as a stupid question
17 hours ago
- Love, Joy, Feminism
The Sandra Bem Sex Role Inventory
- Crooked Timber
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets