- To understand why America’s opioid epidemic keeps getting worse, just look at this map – Vox
The existing medical treatments we have for opiod addiction aren’t available in huge swathes of the country.
- Moira Donegan: I Started the Media Men List
“In October, I created a Google spreadsheet called “Shitty Media Men” that collected a range of rumors and allegations of sexual misconduct, much of it violent, by men in magazines and publishing…”
- Everyone Can Make AI-Generated Fake Porn Now – Motherboard
What worries me about this software isn’t just the ability for people to convincingly put person x’s face on porn star y’s body, but what this will mean for the future of “fake news” – both the ability of people to create convincing fake videos, and the ability of people to convincingly claim that real videos are fake.
- Dan Harmon’s apology for sexually harassing Megan Gatz is worth listening to, and actually helped Gatz feel relief and vindication.
- In The Midst Of #MeToo, What Type Of Man Do You Want To Be?
- The reaction to the Aziz Ansari allegations shows #MeToo is more measured than its critics claim.
- Dr. Larry Nassar Sentenced to 40 to 175 Years for Sexual Abuse – The New York Times
“The sentencing hearing itself garnered much attention for extending over several days, streamed live on the internet, to allow for what are known as victim impact statements from girls and women who he is accused of molesting over the years…. The final three of 156 victims spoke on Wednesday.”
- Gymnastics scandal: 8 times Larry Nassar could have been stopped – NBC News
“I told somebody,” Boyce said. “Instead of being protected, I was humiliated and told that I was the problem.”
- Bring on the Conservative Debate for Immigration | The American Conservative
“Many of Western civilization’s great thinkers believed in the free movement of peoples.”
- Do We Code-Switch Our Laughter? (Yes.) – Atlas Obscura
- Over the past 18 months, the New York Times has dedicated 21 columns and articles to the subject of conservatives’ free speech on campus, while only three covered the silencing of college liberals or leftists.
- Where Did Animals With Tail Weapons Go? Here’s a Back Story – The New York Times
- (75) The Actual Forgotten Working Class |Full Frontal on TBS – YouTube
Did you know that many working class people aren’t white? If so, you know more than the media seems to.
- BBC – Future – Do men and women really have different personalities?
A slightly more detailed discussion of some of the research Gracchi referred to in the “Toxic Masculinity Stew” comments.
- Vulgarity Isn’t Praxis | Noah Berlatsky on Patreon
“The fantasy of stuffed shirt effeminate wealthy pearl clutchers opposed by virile brave cursing truth tellers is in fact a fantasy—and a dangerous one. Once you’ve convinced yourself that vulgarity is a sign of authenticity, then anyone who uses vulgarity becomes an avatar of the working class.”
- Stop Listening to Seth Abramson’s Hack Trump-Russia Theories :: Paste
- BITTER HARVEST – The Washington Post
The WW2 Japanese Interment camps were motivated as much by profit as by anything else.
- Pennsylvania’s Death Row Prisoners Argue That the Right to Execute Does Not Include the Right to…
- State by state, here are the most binge-watched TV shows of 2017 | The Seattle Times
The most binged watched on Netflix, anyhow. Still, it’s interesting. Several most-binged shows are ones that I hadn’t heard of, but which sound really neat (like “American Vandal”).
- Why don’t dreamers just become legal citizens?
- How the far right has perfected the art of deniable racism | Gary Younge | Opinion | The Guardian
- Scott Walker Is Literally Preventing Wisconsinites From Voting | The Nation
Scott Walker is refusing to call elections to fill empty seats in the legislature, presumably because he’s worried that Democrats could win those seats. Given Walker’s enormous prominence, the lack of Republican party opposition to Walkers anti-democracy policies should be seen as approval.
- 12news.com | Border Patrol arrests ASU instructor who gave food, water to immigrants
The instructor is part of “No More Deaths,” an activist group that, shortly before the arrest, released video of border patrol agents deliberately destroying water meant for migrants. He was arrested for harboring. This is just sheer evil.
- Cow runs away from farm and spends the winter with a herd of bison – BBC News
- Why You Shouldn’t Think for Yourself | Noah Berlatsky
- Don’t Be Accountable to Nazis | Noah Berlatsky on Patreon
Click here to support Amp's political cartooning!
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
- Crooked Timber
No planet but this one
29 minutes ago
- Daniel Larison
The Saudis Are a Liability to the U.S.
about an hour ago
- Election Law Blog
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- Not Sorry Feminism
Gif of the Day
5 hours ago
Question of the Day
6 hours ago
- Lawyers Guns and Money
- Echidne of the Snakes
- RH Reality Check
- Greta Christina's Blog
Happy Monsters at the Movies
13 hours ago
A solution to the “Baby It’s Cold” problem
16 hours ago
- Thing of Things
Otherworldly Goods — Page 15
17 hours ago
- Crooked Timber
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets