- Trans kids massively benefit from being allowed to socially transition – ThinkProgress
- Support for free speech is rising, and is higher among liberals and college graduates. – Vox
- Someone is wrong on the internet, millennial savings edition | FT Alphaville
“In other words, you probably aren’t bad at saving. You are normal at saving. The people who seem good at saving, on the other hand, are actually also normal at saving, but very good at receiving.”
- Study: Feminists Are Less Hostile To Men Than Non-Feminists
At least, among a sample of about 500 college students.
- Catapult | What My Godfather’s Glass Eye Taught Me About Disability Humor | s.e. smith
“Here’s a thing about disability that some non-disabled people find deeply disturbing: It can be pretty funny, actually, especially in retrospect.”
- These Trans Women Are Fighting for Insurance Coverage as Trump Unravels Their Right to Care – Rewire
- The AR-15 Is Different: What I Learned Treating Parkland Victims – The Atlantic
“A typical AR-15 bullet leaves the barrel traveling almost three times faster than, and imparting more than three times the energy of, a typical 9mm bullet from a handgun.”
- This Man Is on Death Row for Killing a 6-Month-Old. But What If We’re Wrong About Shaken Baby Syndrome? – Reason.com
Another infuriating story of a justice system railroading a defendant. Co-written by Radley Balko, you won’t be surprised to hear. Content warning: Child abuse, rape.
- There is no campus free speech crisis.
I think for the most part Jeffrey Sachs makes good arguments. But I think his citation of FIRE data to say that most successful de-invitings come from the right lies by omission; that’s fair to mention, but he should have acknowledged that the same data shows that the great majority of attempted de-invitings come from the left.
- Leftist Critiques of Identity Politics – Julia Serano – Medium
In a very long article, Serano critiques the critiques.
- A Former SWAT Operator Says the Cop Who Stood Outside Is Another Victim of the Parkland Massacre
- The Adipositivity Project
Hundreds of photos celebrating the fat naked body. (Most of the photos are of women, from what I saw skimming through, but there are a bunch of men as well.)
- New report shows continued growth of Catholic health systems that refuse to provide essential care | Eclectablog
Some of these hospitals are for profit hospitals. Hospitals that don’t provide needed lifesaving care shouldn’t be legal to operate, regardless of the beliefs of the hospital’s owners.
- It’s Time to Abolish ICE | The Nation
“ICE as it presently exists is an agency devoted almost solely to cruelly and wantonly breaking up families. The agency talks about, and treats, human beings like they’re animals.”
- (94) ‘The Hamilton Polka’ – Weird Al Yankovic – YouTube
- Report: The U.S. Border Patrol is deliberately destroying emergency water supplies.
(The link goes to a 24 page pdf file.) This is hatred. This is evil. This is our tax dollars at work.
- The Private Life of Power
Some employers are demanding to see applicants’ private facebook posts.
- SAva from “Ex Machina” and Amazon’s Alexa
“To use the critic Alex West’s formulation, there’s a difference between a violent movie and a movie about violence, and there’s also a difference between a sexist movie and a movie about sexism.”
- American Democracy Is an Easy Target – Foreign Policy
” If a semi-incompetent social media campaign is all that one needs to send American politics into a halting state, then America’s troubles are far more fundamental than Russian interference.”
- How Employers Already Compel Speech From Workers
Conservatives on the Supreme Court only seem interested in protecting workers’ free speech when doing so hurts unions.
- Labels aren’t Just for Jars: Give Kids the Words to Understand their Lives | crippledscholar
“Part of the problem of the ‘labels are for jars’ argument is that it inextricably links the label with diagnosis and pathology. It completely ignores the possibility that the label can be part of a disabled identity.”
- Lesbian Couple Sues Federal Government & Catholic Church After Being Blocked From Fostering Refugee Child
The Catholic agency, which turned the couple down because “they don’t mirror the holy family,” is paid millions of dollars by the Federal government for their foster care service. A prominent conservative called the lawsuit “gay bullying.”
- I’m a Campus Sexual Assault Activist. It’s Time to Reimagine How We Punish Sex Crimes. – The New York Times
One factoid I didn’t know: The Obama Administration was encouraging Mary Koss and her collaborators to look into expanding “restorative justice”; the Trump administration rescinded that offer.
- What’s Actually Behind Cape Town’s Water Crisis – The AtlanticThe article blames “austerity-obsessed technocrats, irresponsible development, and willful ignorance.”
- The Crazy Fight Over Pennsylvania’s Congressional Map: Round 2 | Brennan Center for Justice
- Charles Gaba’s explains the “Medicare Extra for All” proposal.
A bit long, but great reading if you want to understand the case for “Medicare Extra” in detail.
- ‘Medicare Extra For All’ And The Tectonic Shift Among (centrist) Democrats
- In Photos: ‘Faceless’ Fish Rediscovered After More Than a Century
Actually, the others were found in the 1950s. But it’s been more than a century since this fish was last seen near Australia. And it does have eyes, but they’re buried beneath the skin. (The fish lives in a lightless environment.)
- This Deep Sea Fisherman Posts His Discoveries on Twitter and OH MY GOD KILL IT WITH FIRE
Just a page full of photos of neat looking deep-sea creatures.
Click here to support Amp's political cartooning!
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- Not Sorry Feminism
Gif of the Day
3 hours ago
- Lawyers Guns and Money
- Echidne of the Snakes
- Election Law Blog
They are all my babies
5 hours ago
The Virtual Pub Is Open + Programming Note
5 hours ago
- RH Reality Check
- Beepy Boopy Veronica
New Books and ARCs, 11/16/18
7 hours ago
- Dollars and Sense
Our November/December Issue Is Out!
8 hours ago
Moni's Leaving On A Jet Plane To- Milwaukee!
10 hours ago
- Family Inequality
- The Incidental Economist
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets