- A New Reality? The Far Right’s Use of Cyberharassment against Academics | AAUP
A dryly written, fascinating first-hand account.
- In 2016, a 10-year-old boy got decapitated while riding a Schlitterbahn water slide in Kansas City.
Some jaw-dropping quotes from the indictment.
- How Trump favored Texas over Puerto Rico – POLITICO
“Nine days after the respective hurricanes, FEMA had approved $141.8 million in individual assistance to Harvey victims, versus just $6.2 million for Maria victims.”
- The case for disarming America’s police force — Quartz
“…an estimated one-third of Iceland residents own guns, making the country 15th worldwide in gun ownership per capita. Nonetheless, police in Iceland routinely patrol unarmed.”
- Norman Mailer Was Never Violent Towards Women, With Notably Rare Exceptions – Lawyers, Guns & Money
- Sex Workers Explain Why Congress’ Online Sex-Trafficking Bill Is Bulls**t
- As a sex historian, this is what I want you to know about the buying and selling of sex – iNews
“I can categorically tell you that no attempt to abolish either the selling or buying of sex in the whole of human history has been effective. Not one.”
- Group That Opposes Sex Work Gave Money to Prosecutors’ Offices — and Got Stings Against Johns in Return
This is troubling, to say the least – prosecutors have no business accepting money from private organizations. The organization bought not only stings, but the ability to make editorial changes to the prosecutors’ public statements.
- “…colleges and universities have four main revenue streams: state appropriations, research funding, gifts and endowments, and student tuition. The first three come with serious restrictions regarding their use. Generally speaking, state appropriations can only be used for educational expenses, research funding is largely spent on specific research projects, and endowments go toward the pet projects of wealthy donors. Only student tuition can be used for anything university administrators want…
- The five kinds of reactions to the ‘Roseanne’ reboot, across the political spectrum – The Washington Post
I watched the first two episodes, and enjoyed them – it really did feel a lot like the original show, but also acknowledged how much the characters have aged. Roseanne Barr as a celebrity is an awful awful person, but she and her collaborators are nonetheless good at making this sitcom.
- The conspiracy theory behind a curious Roseanne Barr tweet, explained – The Washington Post
- Roseanne: ABC is about to announce Season 2 of reboot – Mar. 30, 2018
- Man freed after wrongful conviction, only to be taken into custody by immigration authorities – Chicago Tribune
To be clear, the only reason he had lost his legal residence status is that he was convicted of a felony.
- Stephon Clark police shooting in Sacramento: autopsy released – Vox
Surprisingly, I haven’t seen many people even attempt to argue that Clark is to blame for his own death. I really think it’s time to think about not allowing most cops to carry guns on duty, instead leaving guns to an elite group that goes through significant extra training and is only called in when guns are clearly necessary.
- The unwelcome revival of ‘race science’ | News | The Guardian
- A Spark Of Hope For Climate Change Reality : 13.7: Cosmos And Culture : NPR
14 GOP House members – out of 238 – have joined a caucus to try to mitigate climate change. That’s 6%. Yay?
- “I finally compiled all my sources in one place and wrote some pre-made replies so now transphobes have the ability to shut the fuck up even more readily available to them.”
Here’s the document; here’s their twitter.
- After 6 Years And 720,000 Attempts, Photographer Finally Takes Perfect Shot Of Kingfisher | Bored Panda
Click here to support Amp's political cartooning!
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
- RH Reality Check
Politics Podcast: Should Ted Cruz Actually Be Worried?
10 minutes ago
- Lawyers Guns and Money
Real Americans Eat French’s
11 minutes ago
- Daniel Larison
- Election Law Blog
- Not Sorry Feminism
So This Isn't All Over The News Today? Um?
3 hours ago
Racism Is NOT Going To Die Off
4 hours ago
Siri and the Revival of the Feminist Cyborg
7 hours ago
The Big Idea: Jack McDevitt
7 hours ago
Way to annoy the Mormons, Orrin
7 hours ago
- Family Inequality
- The Incidental Economist
A press release is not enough (videos)
8 hours ago
- Love, Joy, Feminism
- Crooked Timber
GMI + JG = paid work as a choice for all
15 hours ago
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- Greta Christina's Blog
The Irresistible Woman’s Curse
19 hours ago
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets