- “Given my way, we wouldn’t talk about toxic masculinity, we’d talk about toxic masculinisation.” Thread by Ally Fogg.
- A record 4.5 percent of U.S. adults identify as LGBT, Gallup estimates
The change is driven by millennials, 8% of whom identify as lgbt.
- Poor people die younger in the U.S. That skews American politics. – The Washington Post
- Inside the ‘free speech’ debate that rocked a Wisconsin campus, with ripples across the country | PBS NewsHour
Ben Shapiro had to endure a protest for ten minutes, so the Wisconsin legislature passed a new law ambiguously outlawing dissent at speeches.
- The black truths of Jordan Peterson – Dreamflesh
This lengthy article, by “Gyrus,” is the most interesting critique of Peterson I’ve read.
- Meta-analysis of field experiments shows no change in racial discrimination in hiring over time | PNAS
“We find no change in the levels of discrimination against African Americans since 1989, although we do find some indication of declining discrimination against Latinos.”
- Judge Persky recall: Brock Turner trial may get voters to evict a judge – Vox
This is an interesting article, pointing out that there are progressive reasons to be against (as well as for) this recall.
- How copyright law hides work like Zora Neale Hurston’s new book from the public – The Washington Post
This is a very commonplace form of censorship that people largely forget about.
- Miss America scrapped the swimsuit competition. As a former Miss America winner, I say good riddance. – Vox
- Why Innocent People Plead Guilty | by Jed S. Rakoff | The New York Review of Books
Years old, and lengthy, but very good. Written by a current judge and former prosecutor.
- What The Kanye Controversy Can Teach Us About Black Voters
“The reactions to Kanye West’s noisy rightward lurch perfectly illustrated some important, particular dynamics about black voting behavior — why a country with so many black conservatives continues to have so few black Republicans.”
- Real ambition on global warming: what it would look like – Vox
- Why Democrats can’t win the ‘respect’ of Trump voters – The Washington Post
“This is a game they cannot win, so they have to stop playing. Know at the outset that no matter what you say or do, Republicans will cry that you’re disrespecting good heartland voters.”
- The Marshmallow Test: What Does It Really Measure? – The Atlantic
“The failed replication of the marshmallow test does more than just debunk the earlier notion; it suggests other possible explanations for why poorer kids would be less motivated to wait for that second marshmallow. For them, daily life holds fewer guarantees.”
- Federal judge accused ICE of making up evidence to prove that Dreamer was “gang-affiliated.”
ICE agents repeatedly lied to a court – but, other than this one stern talking-to from a judge, they will face no repercussions at all.
- Migrant Caravan Detainees Claim Serious Mistreatment In Jail
No one should be treated like this, period. But it’s worth noting that it’s perfectly legal for migrants to come to the US border to request asylum, as some of these folks did.
- The Cast For Prisoner Voting Rights
“Mass incarceration robs prisoners of political power, and transfers that power to their jailers. This means that jailers have a vested interest in mass incarceration.”
- Private Florida schools receiving taxpayer dollars are teaching humans lived with dinosaurs — and slavery wasn’t so bad
- I’ve Written About Cultural Appropriation For 10 Years. Here’s What I Got Wrong.
- Black Like Them
Interesting New Yorker article from Martin Gladwell, written in 1996, discusses issues of discrimination and the relative success of Jamaican immigrants.
- The Secret of West Indian Success, from the academic journal Society, by Suzanne Model (pdf link).
One thing I find particularly interesting is that internal migrants – that is, Black Americans who moved from one part of America to another – have better economic outcomes than Black Americans on average, similar to the experience of West Indian immigrants to America.
- Anthony Bourdain took responsibility for toxic masculinity and called out his friends – Vox
- What Options Did an Accused Witch Have in Salem? – History of Massachusetts Blog
Interestingly, only those who denied guilt ended up being executed. But pleading guilty had its own costs.
- The myth about smart black kids and “acting white” that won’t die – Vox
- Police Are Mislabeling Anti-LGBTQ and Other Crimes as anti-Heterosexual hate crimes — ProPublica
Sometimes it’s as simple as accidentally marking the wrong checkbox.
Click here to support Amp's political cartooning!
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
History is hard
2 hours ago
- Love, Joy, Feminism
- Lawyers Guns and Money
3 hours ago
Significant Digits For Monday, Aug. 20, 2018
4 hours ago
- The Incidental Economist
- Echidne of the Snakes
Corporations As Luggage
5 hours ago
Welcome To Womanhood
10 hours ago
- Election Law Blog
- Daniel Larison
The Massacre of the Innocents in Yemen
11 hours ago
- Long Story; Short Pier
The worth of dirt
11 hours ago
15 hours ago
- Brute Reason
Intuitive Eating Made Me Miss My Flight
18 hours ago
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- This Is So Gay
- Crooked Timber
Do The Nordic Codetermination Moonwalk
2 days ago
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets