- This game contains absolutely no triggering material | Ben on Patreon
This small game (written by the Ben who leaves comments on “Alas”) is fantastic. And searing.
- Anthony Kennedy, the Trump Court and Minority Rule
“The House has a massive Republican tilt, requiring Democrats to win the national vote by six or seven points in order to secure a likely majority. The Senate has an even more pronounced tilt, overrepresenting residents of small states, which tend to be white and rural.”
- How Social-Media Trolls Turned U.C. Berkeley Into a Free-Speech Circus | The New Yorker
I think students should have free speech, but Berkeley shouldn’t be required to spend $3 million so that Milo can come speak for fifteen minutes. Colleges should be able to set reasonable, non-partisan limits on expense without being accused of censorship.
- Good news at last: the world isn’t as horrific as you think | Hans Rosling
“But while it is easy to be aware of all the bad things happening in the world, it’s harder to know about the good things. The silent miracle of human progress is too slow and too fragmented to ever qualify as news.”
- Most Democrats Don’t Take Sex Workers’ Rights Seriously. That’s Finally Starting To Change. | HuffPost
A few Democratic candidates for Congress are running against SESTA/FOSTA.
- Today’s US-Mexico “border crisis” in 6 charts
Or the lack thereof.
- Why I Am Against SESTA-FOSTA — Suraj Patel for Congress
This campaign web page is a usefully concise summary of the case against SESTA-FOSTA.
- Body Positivity Is a Scam – Racked
“There’s nothing capitalism can’t alchemize into a business opportunity, but for it to be a useful tool for marketers, body positivity needed to be decoupled from fatness and political advocacy, sanitized, and neatly repackaged into something that begins and ends with images.”
- Police attacked me for stealing a car. It was my own. – The Washington Post
- Netflix and Alphabet will need to become ISPs, fast | TechCrunch
“One sad note though is how much the world of video is increasingly closed to startups. When companies like Netflix, which today closed with a market cap of almost $158 billion, can’t necessarily get enough negotiating power to ensure that consumers have direct access to them, no startup can ever hope to compete.”
- From flat-pack coffins to water cremation: how to have an eco-friendly death | World news | The Guardian
“At a packed funeral expo in a church in Amsterdam last weekend, exhibitors included a flat-pack coffin that you construct and decorate yourself…”
- We Need to Talk About Reactionary Centrists – Member Feature Stories – Medium
- ContraPoints: Some thoughts about MtF transition, FFS, conformity, gender stereotypes, and “cis assimilation.”
- ‘Roseanne’ Spinoff ‘The Conners’ Ordered by ABC – Variety
“Not part of the new series will be Roseanne Barr.” The likelihood is that this show won’t work – because MOST shows don’t work. But I’d be happy if it does work, and interested to see them try.
- Opinion | The Bible’s #MeToo Problem – The New York Times
- Jamelle Bouie: Taking the Enlightenment seriously requires talking about race.
“Racism as we understand it now, as a socio-political order based on the permanent hierarchy of particular groups, developed as an attempt to resolve the fundamental contradiction between professing liberty and upholding slavery.”
- A useful appendix to the above link: Throwing Shade on the Enlightenment – Liberal Currents
” The italicized statements are the things Bouie did not argue!”
- Riots are destructive, dangerous, and scary — but can lead to serious social reforms – Vox
- How movies cast “ugly” characters – and how it feels to get the part | ShortList
For the most part, they say it feels good. But the guy who played Ted the lawyer on “Scrubs” seems to have found it depressing work, which I was a bit sad to hear, since I always thought there was something joyful in how he played that sad sack part.
- World’s first electrified road for charging vehicles opens in Sweden | Environment | The Guardian
- Costume Detective – How to Date an Old Photograph
“Elements of the coat could suggest it to be circa 1898. The sleeves with soft fullness at the head and the fitted silhouette suggest late Victorian styling. But the hat is too big for that date.”
- How fast can I flood the Netherlands entirely and permanently?
- My Rapist Friended Me on Facebook (and All I Got Was This Lousy Article)
- Climate Change Is Likely Killing Ancient Baobab Trees – The Atlantic
“But when around 70 percent of your 1,500 to 2,000-year-old trees died within 12 years, it certainly is not normal. It is difficult to come up with a culprit other than climate change.”
- On Culture War Bubbles | Thing of Things
- It’s Absurd to Claim That Trans Kids Are Being ‘Rushed’ Into Transitioning
- How to Rinse Your Recyclables Without Wasting Water
Okay, this is admittedly a very boring link, but it’s a question I’ve wondered about more than once.
- I Detransitioned. But Not Because I wasn’t Trans. – The Atlantic
- ‘We no longer die in childbirth’: how Indian villages saved their mothers | World news | The Guardian
“Gupta sometimes changes the lyrics of romantic folk songs to refer to iron supplements, intrauterine devices (IUDs) and breastfeeding. ‘They find it easier to remember what I’ve told them if they sing it,’ she said.”
- ‘The Daddy quota’: how Quebec got men to take parental leave | World news | The Guardian
“What they found in places like Sweden is that if you give fathers their own leave, something families will lose if they don’t take, taking the leave becomes expected.”
- The Southern Poverty Law Center Surrenders Unconditionally To Maajid Nawaz. We Should Be Concerned. | Popehat
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
- The Incidental Economist
- Lawyers Guns and Money
Phase IV in Japan
about an hour ago
The Big Idea: Tina LeCount Myers
2 hours ago
- Kelly Thinks Too Much
Sheep tumbling off a cliff
4 hours ago
- Love, Joy, Feminism
- Dr. Jen Gunter
- Election Law Blog
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- Daniel Larison
Trump’s Irresponsible Venezuela Speech
15 hours ago
- Not Sorry Feminism
Gif of the Day
16 hours ago
Things I Read Today: Presidents Day Edition
17 hours ago
- Echidne of the Snakes
Meanwhile, in Oklahoma, Women Are Aquaria
17 hours ago
- RH Reality Check
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets