- CMV: Most fat people are better off not trying to become “normal” weight. Instead, we should pursue fat acceptance and other ways of improving our health. : changemyview
I did a “Change My View.” Spoiler alert: My view wasn’t changed.
- One man’s mission to bring better ramen to the incarcerated
- A Professor says the 2nd amendment right to self-defense is necessary; is accused of racism; rebuked by his university president; there are many death threats and demands he be fired.
How strange that (as far as I could find) none of the prominent worriers about the “campus free speech crisis” wrote about this case. I wonder what was different?
- Ocasio-Cortez scored a victory — for well-designed campaign posters – The Washington Post
- Here’s Why This Mama Merganser Has More Than 50 Ducklings | Audubon
- Ocasio-Cortez’s Socialism Can Work in the Midwest
As long as it isn’t called “socialism.”
- I Was a Female Incel – Quillette
I certainly don’t endorse all of this essay, but I found it interesting.
- Free Speech for the Chattering Class Isn’t Free Speech for All | Noah Berlatsky on Patreon
- Abolish ICE? Medicare for all? Democrats are campaigning in poetry. – Vox
“An old saying about American politics holds that you campaign in poetry and govern in prose.”
- My cousin takes this pervert down for grabbing her ass. He is later arrested in front of his wife and 2 kids when the cops arrived. : JusticeServed
There’s video! I feel sorry for the kids, though. (But they’re not in the video). See also: Grabbing The Situation By The A** – notalwaysright.com (thanks to Mandolin for that link).
- Why the Migration or Importation Clause of the Constitution does not imply any general federal power to restrict immigration – The Washington Post
From an originalist perspective, it’s hard to see where the Constitution gives the Federal government the right to broadly restrict immigration. Of course, I’m not an originalist – but many of the people calling for stricter controls on immigration are, or say they are. ETA: Here’s an alternate link.
- BBC – Culture – Why these anatomical models are not disgusting
- Critics of the Sarah Sanders restaurant protest say MLK would never have been so “uncivil.” But in his day, King was savaged as the enemy of civility. – Vox
- Young Leftist Candidates Are Breathing New Radicalism Into Stale Climate Politics
- Easily Mused: Al Williamson’s “The Success Story”This six-page horror comic, created in the 1960s, is a wonderful tongue-in-cheek response to the longstanding comics tradition of successful cartoonists having work by unaccredited assistants. Also, really beautiful drawings by Al Williamson.
- Probe found FlORIDA police chief told officers to pin unsolved crimes on random black people: report | TheHill
- Conservatives As Moral Mutants | Thing of Things
“Of course, from a conservative perspective, I am an incomprehensible moral mutant.”
- There’s no such thing as a Trump Democrat – The Washington Post
- Letters of Note: Arkell v. Pressdram
I have no idea if anyone reading this would even want to watch a 40 minute video essay defending Disney’s “Hunchback of Notre Dame,” which is also about the original novel and the way stories are adapted to different times. But I found it very interesting.