- I Was a Warehouse Wage Slave – Mother Jones
“My brief, backbreaking, rage-inducing, low-paying, dildo-packing time inside the online-shipping machine.” A very disturbing article; thanks to Grace for the link.
- For-Profit Firefighting Was Terrible for America. Climate Change Is Bringing It Back.
“Welcome to our climate future: disasters will get worse, and the rich will pay to sit them out.”
- Is a “Ladies’ Lingerie” Joke Harmless or Harassment? – The Atlantic
- Trump’s immigration policy is scaring families off food stamps, study finds – Vox
A completely predictable outcome.
- “I Don’t Want to Shoot You, Brother”
Interesting longread about a police officer who was fired for not firing his gun at an armed suspect.
- Evaluating the One-in-Five Statistic: Women’s Risk of Sexual Assault While in College – The Journal of Sex Research (via SciHub).
- No, BDS Is Not Anti-Semitic – Peter Beinart – The Forward
- The unbelievable tale of a fake hitman, a kill list, a darknet vigilante… and a murder | WIRED UK
- Porn Docs and Humiliating Women | Noah Berlatsky on Patreon
What faux-forced sex porn and anti-porn documentaries have in common.
- Abrams pulls controversial graphic novel about a suicide bomber — The Beat
- Psychology’s Replication Crisis Is Real, Many Labs 2 Says – The Atlantic
“With 15,305 participants in total, the new experiments had, on average, 60 times as many volunteers as the studies they were attempting to replicate. The researchers involved worked with the scientists behind the original studies to vet and check every detail of the experiments beforehand.”
- The new lawsuit challenging Georgia’s entire elections system, explained – Vox
“Each of these issues fueled their own series of lawsuits (several of them successful) in the weeks before and after the election, but this latest lawsuit cites them collectively to make a larger point: Georgia’s current election system created an unconstitutional series of obstacles that are disproportionately likely to disadvantage, and in some cases completely disenfranchise, voters of color.”
- It’s Time to Retire the Media’s Sad Transgender Trope – Rewire.News
“Transgender writers shouldn’t have to perform sadness or pain just to get published.”
- They’re Made of Meat
Fun, very short science fiction story by Terry Bisson. (Thanks, Mandolin!)
- Gender pay gap: new report says it’s much worse than you’ve heard – VoxRather than looking at an annual wage gap, they measured a 15-year wage gap, which was 49 cents for every dollar men made. The difference is due to women taking more time off (usually for caretaking), and also because women’s wages are penalized more for taking time off than men’s.
- A Most American Terrorist: The Making Of Dylann Roof | GQ
A Black reporter (who is an excellent writer) investigates Roof’s life.
- Who Does She Think She Is?
Laurie Penny on harassment (so, content warning). “The internet does not hate women. The internet doesn’t hate anyone, because the internet, being an inanimate network, lacks the capacity to hold any opinion whatsoever. People hate women, and the internet allows them to do it faster, harder, and with impunity.”
- Researchers built a smart dress to measure how often women are groped at clubs — Quartzy
Thanks to Grace for the link. “In just under four hours, the [three] women are touched a combined 157 times.”
- Dog trying to steal another dog! (Video).
- Women cut their hair short for Facebook likes from other women who secretly think they look ugly, Red Pill doofus explains :: We Hunted The Mammoth
It’s so hard to think of a cartoon about this guys that 1) would be explicable for people who aren’t already aware, and 2) would be worst than the reality.
- Purdue accused of ‘chilling’ retaliation for sexual assault reports
- I love this cartoon by Jen Sorenson.
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
The Ups And Downs Of Candidate Popularity, In 4 Charts
about an hour ago
- Election Law Blog
- Asking The Wrong Questions
Recent Reading Roundup 51
about an hour ago
- Lawyers Guns and Money
Komedy Klassics from the Klavern off K Street
about an hour ago
- Daniel Larison
Off to Chicago; Here’s a Cat
2 hours ago
Watch the planet breathe
4 hours ago
- Long Story; Short Pier
Painstakingly æstheticized chisme
4 hours ago
- The Incidental Economist
- Dances With Fat
Your Weight Regain Is Not Your Fault
6 hours ago
- This Is So Gay
The Twitterverse of Hysteria
14 hours ago
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- Not Sorry Feminism
Gif of the Day
16 hours ago
- Dollars and Sense
Review of Strong Towns
19 hours ago
How much plastic is in a k-cup?
22 hours ago
Mag Mell That Ends Well — Page 2
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets