- The severed feet found on beaches near Seattle and Vancouver, explained – Vox
“The 15th human foot in a decade washed up in Washington State. Don’t be alarmed.”
- Amazon Ring Teaming Up With Police in War on “Dirtbag Criminals”
As far as I know nothing terrible has happened with Ring yet – but the blurring of the lines between corporate overlords and police overlords is disquieting.
- Dolphins Seem to Use Toxic Pufferfish to Get High | Smart News | Smithsonian
- (132) Sexual Assault of Men Played for Laughs – YouTubeA video essay by Pop Culture Detective about male-on-male rape – most frequently, prison rape – played for laughs in movies and on TV. His next video will be about female-on-male rape played for laughs.
- The Cost of Universal Basic Income is the Net Transfer Amount, Not the Gross Price Tag
- Why we should all have a basic income | World Economic Forum
- Protests Inside Freezing MDC Jail Met With Reprisals
For example, prisoners on a hunger strike had their toilets shut off for a week, or a prisoner being put into solitary confinement for asking when heat would come back on. In addition to the inhumanity, there’s a real free speech issue here.
- Androgynous aerial acrobat & 1920s female impersonator, the great ‘Barbette’
Lots of cool photos, too.
- 2019 Minimum Wage Act Would Help Black Workers More Than White
Here’s something I hadn’t realized: “The black working class is more likely to work in jobs that pay less than the proposed $15 minimum, but geography has even bigger impact on workers’ pay—black workers are far less likely to work in states with their own minimum wage laws.”
- How To Speak About The Israel Lobby In A Non-Anti-Semitic Way – The Forward
- Fat Monica on “Friends” Was The TV Role Model I Never Expected
- Study: More restrictive use of force policies reduce police-involved killings, and reduce police fatalities.(pdf)
“These results suggest that advocacy efforts focused on pushing police departments to adopt more restrictive use of force policies can produce meaningful reductions in the number of police-involved killings… Officers in police departments with more restrictive policies in place are actually less likely to be killed in the line of duty [and] less likely to be assaulted…”
- The Bat and Ball Problem Revisited – drossbucket
“…the paper is basically a series of increasingly desperate attempts to get people to actually think about the question.” (Via.)
- I Was A Cable Guy. I Saw The Worst Of America. | HuffPost
Content warning for… I mean, for so much. Dead cat, sexual harassment, homophobia, Dick Cheney, and a generally bleak world. (Via.)
- Performance and Selfhood in ‘Alita: Battle Angel’ – J. Rosenfield – Medium
“She has no real understanding of herself or the world around her. And yet she knows that her body is wrong.” I completely loved this movie, by the way.
- The U.S. Fertility Rate Is Down, Yet More Women Are Mothers – The New York Times
The likelihood of women becoming mothers in their lifetime, measured by how many women in the age 40-44 age group have ever had children, has had a recent upturn.
- A Mother’s Promise: You Can Be Yourself – Video – NYTimes.com
A beautiful short animated piece.
- Financial Windfalls: 15 Stories of Gifts, Wins, Inheritances, and The Money That Changed Everything | Topic
- Building a Bigger Action Hero – Inside Hollywood’s Muscle Factory – Men’s Journal
How all the male movie stars suddenly got so ripped.
- Hilde Lysiak, 12-year-old journalist, films Arizona cop threatening her – The Washington Post
- “Hilde is a force of nature. One can only imagine what sort of stories she will be turning out once she has a driver’s license.”
- A Dutch Church Held A 96-Day Service To Stop A Refugee Family’s Deportation
- Opinion | It’s Not That Men Don’t Know What Consent Is – The New York Times
“When they realized that their actions conflicted with that benchmark, though, they expanded their definition of consent rather than question their conduct.”
- When Does an Accident Become a Crime? – Texas Monthly
When a DA is determined enough, is the short answer.
- Emma Thompson’s letter to Skydance: Why I can’t work for John Lasseter – Los Angeles Times
The actress quit work on an animated movie she’d been cast in.
- How America Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Deficits and Debt – The New York Times
The long-predicted consequences of deficit don’t seem to have come about, and putting off investments in infrastructure is harmful in the long run, various people argue. (Alternative link.)
- The Fake Sex Doctor Who Conned the Media Into Publicizing His Bizarre Research on Suicide, Butt-Fisting, and Bestiality
- Rich Must Embrace Deficits to Escape Taxes – Bloomberg
- With FOSTA Already Leading to Censorship, Plaintiffs Are Seeking Reinstatement Of Their Lawsuit Challenging the Law’s Constitutionality | Electronic Frontier Foundation
- The paradox of Patriot Prayer – Justin Ward – Medium
There are a handful of non-white members of The Proud Boys and other racist organizations. That doesn’t magically make them not racist.
- Opinion | The Electoral College Is the Greatest Threat to Our Democracy – The New York Times
The headline is irrelevant clickbait, because nothing in Jamelle Bouie’s excellent overview is making a case about what is “the greatest threat.” (Probably Bouie didn’t write the headline). But the electoral college is definitely anti-democracy, and the arguments in its defense make zero sense. (Alternate link.)
- BNYT columnist Bret Stephens inadvertently explains why women don’t report sexual harassment – Vox
If young journalists can face career-damaging blowback for just making a rude comment on Twitter, is it any wonder victims of sexual harassment (a category that does include some men, Vox!) hesitate to report their abusers?
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
- Lawyers Guns and Money
Don’t be shy about calling a Nazi a Nazi
4 hours ago
- Love, Joy, Feminism
Lesbian Duplex 225: An Open Thread
8 hours ago
- Crooked Timber
Sunday photoblogging: car park
8 hours ago
- We Hunted the Mammoth
Incels are now mad about women smiling at them
16 hours ago
- Election Law Blog
- Not Sorry Feminism
Gif of the Day
- Echidne of the Snakes
The Virtual Pub Is Open
- RH Reality Check
- Daniel Larison
- Rachel Swirsky
Haiku Round-up #3
2 days ago
- Thing of Things
- This Is So Gay
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets