- Opinion | The Terrible Things Trump Is Doing in Our Name – The New York Times (Alternate link.)
“Family separation, it turns out, never really stopped. According to Lee Gelernt, deputy director of the A.C.L.U.’s National Immigrants’ Rights Project, just over 700 families were separated between last June and late May.”
- (140) “Transtrenders” | ContraPoints – YouTube
I love Natalie’s videos – especially ones like this, which ends up embracing some ambiguity and showing both the debaters in the last half of the video as flawed but sympathetic. CW: Some trans readers, in the comments, said that they found this video “hard to watch because of how personal it is.”
- Why Democrats Should Pack the Supreme Court | Take Care
- Opinion | I Co-Founded Facebook. It’s Time to Break Up Facebook – The New York Times(Alternate link.)
“The F.T.C.’s biggest mistake was to allow Facebook to acquire Instagram and WhatsApp.”
- The DSM-IV Believed Women Didn’t Have Paraphilias | Thing of Things
- Groundbreaking climate change discovery made by, sigh, Boaty McBoatface
- What We Get Wrong About Closing The Racial Wealth Gap
Debunking ten myths about the cause of the Black-white wealth gap.
- Good Samaritans Punished for Offering Lifesaving Help to Migrants – The Appeal
- Thousands petition Netflix to cancel Amazon Prime’s Good Omens | Books | The Guardian
I don’t see any political meaning in their mistake, I just think it’s funny. Also, Good Omens was pretty good TV, that was great TV whenever the two lead performers were on screen.
- Robert Kraft prostitution case surveillance warrant cited Orchids of Asia Day Spa’s full refrigerator | WEEI
- Questions For Our Opponents, Answered | Thing of Things
Answering the strawmanny questions from a anti-trans feminist philosopher.
- “Coming Out” as Face Blind – Narratively – Pocket
It sounds like “coming out” was more fraught with fear for the author than it was for me. But, like her, I’ve found that being willing to tell people I’m faceblind really improved my life.
- An Arctic fox trekked from Norway to Canada, wowing scientists – The Washington Post
- In the recent Democratic Party debate, Bernie Sanders suggested “rotating” Supreme Court justices. He seems to have been referring to this proposal.
“…every judge on the federal courts of appeals would also be appointed as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court would hear cases, but through a panel of nine justices selected, at random, from all the justices. Once selected, the justices would research and prepare cases from their home court of appeals chambers before traveling to Washington to hear oral arguments for two weeks, when another set of judges would replace them. The panel members would then return to their home chambers to complete their opinions. In addition,a 7-2 supermajority of the Court, rather than a simple majority, would be needed to overturn a federal statute.”
- ‘Better to Be Born Rich Than Smart’: Education Must Answer for Systemic Inequality – Education Week
- How to Hire Fake Friends and Family – The Atlantic – Pocket
“Yuichi: I say, “I’m very sorry. I’m a member of the Family Romance corporation. I’m not your true father.” Right before she can respond—just as she opens her mouth to speak, I wake up. I am terrified of the answer, so I just wake up.” (See also: Rentafriend.)
- Overzealous cleaner ruins £690,000 artwork that she thought was dirty | Art and design | The Guardian
God I love stories like this.
- Opinion | San Francisco school board votes to destroy historic WPA-era murals.
And yet I hate stories like this. (The mural depicts American Indians and slaves owned by George Washington, because the painter wanted to make an anti-racism statement.) I wouldn’t mind them moving the murals, or even hiding them behind panels, but destroying them is appalling.
- Maggots could revolutionize the global food supply. Here’s how. – The Washington Post(Alternative link).
- How a Criminal Justice Reform Became an Enrichment Scheme For The DA’s Office – POLITICO Magazine
“Meanwhile, in 2019, Louisiana cut its annual state budget for public defenders by 83 percent.” Louisiana has the 2nd highest incarceration rate in the country.
- Belle Delphine: Is Bathwater Gamer Girl the Greatest Internet Troll? – Rolling Stone
Since this article, a mass-reporting campaign successfully got Delphine kicked off instagram.
- State Supreme Court: Obesity covered by anti-discrimination lawThe Washington State Supreme Court ruled that “obesity” is a disability, and thus employers can’t refuse to hire qualified people because of them being “obese.” I suspect it’s still legal to fire people for being fat if they’re not fat enough to meet the BMI definition of “obese.”
- Ulysses Grant’s Civil-War Expulsion of the South’s Jews – HISTORY
Lincoln interceded and prevented Grant from mass-evicting Jews from the South. Later in his career, Grant worked hard to be a friend to Jews, either out of sincere repentance or out of a desire to stop being known as an antisemite.
- A Bay Area ban on feeding squirrels and birds saved their lives – Vox
Feeding pigeons and birds seems like a harmless, pleasent activity. But noooooooo.
- Democrats tried to win over working-class voters. But they ignored their biggest worry. – Vox
That worry being stagnant wages, which basically were not discussed at all at last night’s debate.
- Why aren’t voters more willing to abandon a health system that’s failing? – Vox
I thought that this was a very good article. In particular, the point that no system can truthfully promise stability – private, public and single-payer plans are all subject to being changed from above – is a good one. (I totally stan Elizabeth Warren, but this is one issue I disagree with her on – letting Americans choose between private and public options is just better than outlawing private insurance.)
- An open letter
fromto Lierre Keith, a TERF, from Bonnie Mann, a radical feminist who used to be anti-trans. (pdf link).
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
What does it take to get a victim believed?
about an hour ago
- Love, Joy, Feminism
Fox “News” or Fox Propaganda?
4 hours ago
- Election Law Blog
- Lawyers Guns and Money
Murderer Charged With Murder
4 hours ago
- Daniel Larison
The War on Diplomacy
5 hours ago
- The Incidental Economist
Fetal Origins Literature Review
6 hours ago
- Dances With Fat
- Not Sorry Feminism
Gif of the Day
19 hours ago
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- RH Reality Check
- Echidne of the Snakes
What Separation of The Church And The State?
23 hours ago
- Crooked Timber
No true war is bad?
2 days ago
- The Feminist Librarian
#comingoutday: the thread
3 days ago
- Family Inequality
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets