- New Paper: Why “Intellectual Property” is a Misnomer – Niskanen Center
Long and (to me, anyway, but I assume I’m not the only one) interesting read.
- Texas Museum Puts Donald Trump Wax Statue in Storage Because People Kept Punching It
- I did a “I’ll post one comic I love for every like this tweet gets” meme thing. The tweet ended up getting 171 likes, but I decided it would be okay for me to quit after listing just 100 comics I love. So here’s the list, if you’re curious. It touches on many different genres.
- Designer Creates Hilarious Travel Posters for America’s National Parks Based on Their 1-Star Reviews
I’m not sure I’d say “hilarious,” but they’re amusing and also very pretty.
- What Happens When Republicans Simply Refuse to Certify Democratic Wins? | Washington Monthly
Essentially, it’ll come down to what judges say. And if the judges are Trump appointed, we could be screwed.
- Man Builds a Working Electric Guitar from His Deceased Uncle’s Skeleton
- The War on Critical Race Theory | Boston Review
“CRT functions for the right today primarily as an empty signifier for any talk of race and racism at all, a catch-all specter lumping together “multiculturalism,” “wokeism,” “anti-racism,” and “identity politics”—or indeed any suggestion that racial inequities in the United States are anything but fair outcomes…”
- The Tapeworm That Helps Ants Live Absurdly Long Lives – The Atlantic
A parasite makes ordinary worker ants live years longer. The infected ants are fed and coddled and carried around by the non-infected ants and don’t have to do any work themselves.
- The strange journey of ‘cancel,’ from a Black-culture punchline to a White-grievance watchword – The Washington Post
It’s more about the origins of the term – there’s not much about how it became a right-wing watchword. But what there is interesting.
- As a Rabbi Raised in South Africa, I Can’t Ignore Israel Is an Apartheid State
- Reflections on Growing Up Fat and Chinese-American — naafa
- Promoting Public Health in the Context of the “Obesity Epidemic”: False Starts and Promising New Directions
A journal article provides an overview. It’s from 2015, but nothing’s changed since then. (I mean, regarding the issues the article discusses.)
- the demonisation of fatness – earth to venus
A broad overview of a lot of fat acceptance issues, in the form of a blog post.
- Group that can’t find systemic voter fraud eager to help combat systemic voter fraud – The Washington Post
A Heritage Foundation database often cited to show that voter fraud is a major problem… shows that voter fraud is an insignificant problem. The database contains just one case from the 2020 election, for example.
- Addressing The Claims In JK Rowling’s Justification For Transphobia | by Katy Montgomerie | Medium
A detailed response to JKR’s famous anti-trans letter from last year.
- Voter suppression: A short history of the long conservative assault on Black voting power – CNNPolitics
- Open Letter on the History, Impact, and Future of the Filibuster | by Scholars for Reform | May, 2021 | Medium
“…the Framers explicitly rejected a supermajority requirement for common legislation…. Today, the Framers’ vision of the function of the Senate has largely been inverted.”
- Photos by Alice Donovan Rouse and Lindsey Ross with Tim Mossholder.
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- Election Law Blog
Joe Manchin and Computer Models
3 hours ago
- Lawyers Guns and Money
- The Incidental Economist
Changes are coming to TIE
10 hours ago
This book is full of nasty words
14 hours ago
Sakuraco June Box Review
14 hours ago
- Crooked Timber
Mars, Ares, Tiw/Tyr, God, Allah
- Thing of Things
Thing of Things Is Moving!
2 days ago
- The Feminist Librarian
medical update 6.14.2021
2 days ago
- This Is So Gay
Your Department of Redundancy Department
5 days ago
- Dollars and Sense
- Family Inequality
- Rachel Swirsky
MileHiCon Guest of Honor
2 weeks ago
The Stolen Child — Page 27
2 weeks ago
- A Feminist Challenging Transphobia
Liberating Trans Bodies
4 weeks ago
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets