- The Supreme Court has agreed to hear Moore v. Harper. It’s a grave threat to US democracy. – Vox
“Moore v. Harper is a grave threat to US democracy, and the fate of that democracy probably comes down to Amy Coney Barrett.”
- Democratic Strategies that Don’t Court Disaster | The Forum | David Daley & David Faris
“How have Democratic leaders been so stolidly resistant to facing up to the true scale of this threat in anything other than fundraising appeals? Regrettably, advancing age and the institutional complacency that often comes with it play a major role here. The members of the Democratic Party’s leadership caste continually yearn for the long-vanished shade of “The Party of Lincoln.” They pine for the camaraderie of Tip O’Neill and Ronald Reagan and the difference-trimming compromises struck in the Senate cloakroom half a century ago—and by indulging in these clubby reveries before the public, they continue to transmit the message that the GOP is a normal political party, committed to upholding basic constitutional rights, freedoms, and power-sharing norms.”
- A New Study Contradicts a Washington Post Poll About How Native Americans View the Redskins’ Name – Washingtonian
A much cited 2016 poll found that 90% of Native Americans have no objection to naming a football team “Redskins.” But other polls – including a new academic study which fixed some methodological flaws in the WaPo survey – have had radically different findings.
- The perception of rhythm in language by Anne Cutler (pdf)
Short and impressive three-page paper about how we hear words.
- The Trouble with Promoting “Joyful” or “Enjoyable” Movement
“Look, it’s ok to pick something you hate the least, and do the bare minimum you need to do for the benefit you want to get.”
- White Parents Rallied to Chase a Black Educator Out of Town. Then, They Followed Her to the Next One. — ProPublica
They weren’t even doing this in response to what she said – they were pre-emptively getting rid of her because of what she hypothetically might say.
- There’s no denying the data: Rent control works | The Hill
This is interesting; I’ve long had the impression that the case against rent control rested on solid data, but it’s actually much shakier, at least according to this article.
Josh Hawley, Marjorie Taylor Greene and Madison Cawthorn seemed to think defining a woman is easy, then they tried do do it – The Washington Post
“When the reporter asked him whether a woman whose uterus was removed via hysterectomy was still a woman, he appeared uncertain: “Yeah. Well, I don’t know, would they?””
- Journalists need to do better when it comes to doing PR for the police. –Parker Malloy
“Maybe if the police didn’t think they could so consistently get away with horrific acts and utter incompetence, they’d actually do a better job. Maybe if they didn’t have a boatload of legal loopholes they could hide in, they’d actually do a better job. Maybe if they didn’t get written about like action heroes by lazy journalists, they’d actually do a better job. The problem is the lack of police accountability, and journalists should be working to make them more accountable, not less.”
- The Risks, Rewards and Possible Ramifications of Geoengineering Earth’s Climate | Science| Smithsonian Magazine
- Four myths about testosterone levels and athletics – @KirstiMiller30
- Hotel Housing: America’s great forgotten solution to high rents and house prices.
“While you won’t solve your homeless problem just by building SROs, you can’t solve your homeless problem without them.”
- Opinion | There Are 100 People in America With Way Too Much Power – The New York Times (and an alternative link)
“The idea is to move the locus of policymaking back to the House of Representatives (which I would like to enlarge to at least 600 members), and to make it the most important chamber in the operation of government.”
- Mandatory Reporting Is Exactly Not What Victims Need (and an alternative link)
“She wants to talk to her trusted professor, and yet she cannot do so while maintaining control over her privacy and her life. The policy has taken away her autonomy, her right to consent.”
- He Built a Home to Survive a Civil War. Tragedy Found Him Anyway. – The New York Times (And an alternate link.)
A congressman believed that society is about to collapse and the only safety for him and his family was to have a private bunker. Tragically, he wasn’t the only person to believe that. (CW: murder.)
- On Capabilitarianism – by Ozy Brennan – Thing of Things
In which Ozy explains their “weird contrarian ethical system.”
- Text Exchange Shows Clueless Boss Expecting Fired Worker To Keep Helping Out
A similar (but more extensive) exchange happened between a frequent “Alas” comment-writer and their ex-boss.
- The F.D.A.’s Misguided War on Vaping – by Clive Bates
“The government is putting stricter restrictions on vaping than on smoking. That’s bad for public health.”
- The photos are by Ukranian sculptor Igorigo, and are included here with their permission. Check out their Etsy shop!
- nobody.really: Query du jour: Some ideas are so contentious—say, whether an election was stolen or whether the US faked the moon landing—that pollsters ask people about
- Ampersand: The story behind that particular glitch seems to be that "Alas" had used up all the allotted space on the servers. I deleted a bunch
- RonF: I stumbled across Batman and Robin having a talk about their relationship while apprehending the Joker and laughed out loud. Maybe it's just me
- RonF: The sources led me to the bill, but my judgement of it is based on the text of the bill itself. Here's what I
- nobody.really: Thanks, Amp. That's more along the lines I had imagined. And glad the blog page is loading again. Is there a story behind the glitch?
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
Alas, a Blogroll
- Lawyers Guns and Money
But we won’t do that
7 hours ago
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- Long Story; Short Pier
3 days ago
- Family Inequality
- This Is So Gay
Put Me In, Coach Al, Please!
1 week ago
- The Incidental Economist
- Asking The Wrong Questions
- Ann Leckie's Blog
- Scott Wood Makes Lists
- Language: A Feminist Guide
- RH Reality Check
SCOTUS 2022: The Vibes Were Bad
2 months ago
- Female Gazing
I make space for what is next for me
2 months ago
- Spherical Bullshit
- Whipping Girl
my latest email update
3 months ago
- Rachel Swirsky
Pete in a Pot
4 months ago
- Lawyers Guns and Money
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets