- Robot Hugs – Technigal This autobio political cartoon, co-created by a trans woman, is about how her expertise as a videographer was treated before and after she began publicly presenting as a woman. And see also Veronica and a couple of other folks talking about similar experiences they or their spouse have had.
- Microaggression, macro harm – LA Times “The new culture of victimhood is not new, and it is not about victimhood. It is a culture of solidarity, and it has always been with us, an underground moral culture of the disempowered.”
- The brutal Spring Valley High School video shows what happens when you put cops in schools – Vox
- Guatemala just elected a comedian with zero political experience to be president – Vox
- Remembering the African-American Suffragists Who Fought a Dual Oppression – Vogue
- Minor League Baseball Team Spokane Indians Change Jerseys to Salish Language – ICTMN.com Very neat! Thanks for the link, Ben.
- No Trenchcoat for the Giant Squid « The Hooded Utilitarian How in the end, Watchmen undermines “realistic” grim crime drama with superhero silliness.
- The philosophical problem of killing baby Hitler, explained – Vox
- Why there’s no point telling me to lose weight | The BMJ
- Let’s Talk About Intentional Weight Loss and Evidence-Based Medicine | Worse for the Fishes
- Why “gender gap” analysis of American politics is mostly wrong
- The Rise and Fall of the First Galactic Empire | Ordinary Times
- Prison vs. Harvard in an Unlikely Debate – WSJ A debate team from an in-prison college program beats a debate team from Harvard. There’s a followup story here.
- Study: Men Get Bigger Start-Up Packages | The Scientist Magazine Er, pun not intended.
- Why Snoopy Is Such a Controversial Figure to ‘Peanuts’ Fans – The Atlantic
- The US Economy Has Definitely Done Better When A Democrat Is President. But why? And can Democrats reasonably take credit? Well, maybe kind of sort of mumble. Turns out that not needlessly getting into Gulf wars is good for the economy, and some unidentified policy differences may encourage greater productivity.
- The House science committee is worse than the Benghazi committee – Vox
- I want to live in a baugruppe | Grist
- How our housing choices make adult friendships more difficult – Vox
- And a counterpoint: Stop Blaming Suburbia for Killing Off Friendships
- Reasons I Would Make An Excellent Housekeeper In A Forbidding Eighteenth-Century Estate And You Should Consider Me For The Position – The Toast
- Benghazi Timeline. Specifically, a timeline focused on when Clinton and other members of the Obama administration said that the attacks were or weren’t preplanned, were or weren’t “acts of terror” or “terrorist attacks,” and were or weren’t motivated by a Youtube video. Useful if you’re trying to follow (or double-check) what folks attacking Clinton over Benghazi are saying.
- Ben Carson Assures Conservatives That His Campus Speech Monitoring Would Only Target Liberals | Right Wing Watch Right Wing Watch’s title is an exaggeration – Carson only implied that, but didn’t explicitly state it. Nonetheless, Carson’s position is anti-free-speech.
- Religious Right Activists Argue For Recriminalization Of Birth Control In ‘The Birth Control Movie’ | Right Wing Watch
- A chess-set you wear in a ring / Boing Boing “Near impossible to set up.” Heh.
- THE LION KING Australia: Cast Sings Circle of Life on Flight Home from Brisbane – YouTube
- A woman as president? The gender-neutral Constitution. – Volokh Conspiracy Interesting! Despite the use of “he” as a generic pronoun, the US Constitution was for the most part intentionally written using gender-neutral language.
- nobody.really: Query du jour: Some ideas are so contentious—say, whether an election was stolen or whether the US faked the moon landing—that pollsters ask people about
- Ampersand: The story behind that particular glitch seems to be that "Alas" had used up all the allotted space on the servers. I deleted a bunch
- RonF: I stumbled across Batman and Robin having a talk about their relationship while apprehending the Joker and laughed out loud. Maybe it's just me
- RonF: The sources led me to the bill, but my judgement of it is based on the text of the bill itself. Here's what I
- nobody.really: Thanks, Amp. That's more along the lines I had imagined. And glad the blog page is loading again. Is there a story behind the glitch?
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
Alas, a Blogroll
- Lawyers Guns and Money
But we won’t do that
6 hours ago
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- Long Story; Short Pier
3 days ago
- Family Inequality
- This Is So Gay
Put Me In, Coach Al, Please!
1 week ago
- The Incidental Economist
- Asking The Wrong Questions
- Ann Leckie's Blog
- Scott Wood Makes Lists
- Language: A Feminist Guide
- RH Reality Check
SCOTUS 2022: The Vibes Were Bad
2 months ago
- Female Gazing
I make space for what is next for me
2 months ago
- Spherical Bullshit
- Whipping Girl
my latest email update
3 months ago
- Rachel Swirsky
Pete in a Pot
4 months ago
- Lawyers Guns and Money
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets