- Why Dozens of U.S. President Statues Sit Deteriorating in a Rural Virginia Field | Colossal
- I don’t know how long this video of the Hamilton cast performing for the Grammy Awards will be online. So watch it while you can.
- Black Workers Really Do Need to Be Twice as Good – The Atlantic
“Only in instances where black workers are monitored and displayed a significantly higher skill level than their white counterparts would they stand a significant chance of keeping their jobs for a while, the researchers found.”
- An alphabetical The Wizard Of Oz recut is both orderly and chaotic · Great Job, Internet! · The A.V. Club
It’s called “Of Oz The Wizard,” of course.I didn’t watch all of it, but I watched some, and it’s oddly fascinating for a few minutes.
- Everyone’s offended these days / fuzzy notepad
On Stephen Fry’s departure from Twitter, being offended, and twitter mobs.
- Department of Irony: Thousands of legal Hispanic residents are becoming U.S. citizens from Nevada to Florida and Colorado because of Trump.
“There is a measurable, substantial increase in Latino voter registration and voting when there is a clear villain perceived as anti-Latino.” Thanks to Ben.
- An Open Letter To Gloria Steinem Regarding Young Women Who Don’t Support Hillary Clinton – Sarah Grey
- The Ecstasy of Influence | Harper’s Magazine
A long but excellent article by Jonathan Lethem about copyright, plagiarism, creativity, and influence. Nice twist at the end, too.
- The 5 Best Punctuation Marks in Literature — Vulture
- 20 People Now Own As Much Wealth as Half of All Americans
If it could be somehow shown that the worst-off people in America are better off with wealth divided this way than they would be under any other conceivable system, then this is justifiable. I’m pretty sure, however, that it’s not.
- Diets do not work: The thin evidence that losing weight makes you healthier.
- This Transgender Girl Scout Stood Up To A Bully By Selling Thousands Of Cookies – BuzzFeed News
- Hillary Clinton Has a Henry Kissinger Problem
“The point I’m making here is not, [Glenn Greenwald voice] HILLARY CLINTON SUPPORTS A WAR CRIMINAL. (Trust me, I know Kissinger isn’t moving many votes in New Hampshire.) It’s that Hillary Clinton exists in a world where “Henry Kissinger is a war criminal” is a silly opinion held by unserious people. Her problem? Lots of those silly and unserious people want to wrest control of the Democratic Party away from its current leadership, which is exemplified by people like Hillary Clinton.” Thanks to Closetpuritan.
- Why Hillary Clinton’s Gender Matters
Thanks to Lee1 for this link.
- Attack of the Hillary Bros: This is What Happens When a Woman Supports Bernie Sanders Online — Medium
- Yes, I’m Fat. It’s O.K. I Said It. – NYTimes.com
Op-Ed in the New York Times (!) by fat-positive activist Sarai Walker, author of the novel Dietland. As I type this link, there aren’t yet any comments, but I sort of dread the comments to come.
- The A Word: Jughead of “Archie” comics self-identifies as “asexual” for the first time.
- When life gives you lemons, make science
A blogger compiles statistics – and makes graphs! – of where the assholes in
herhis comments are coming from.
- Disabled People Need Not Apply – Discrimination and Disadvantage
” It’s reasonable for a job involving manual labor to require lifting. Making that 25-pound standard universal, though, excludes a huge class of people.”
- FBI Arrests Nearly Every Single Elected Official In A Texas Town | ThinkProgress
Six of the town’s eight elected officials were arrested on bribery-related charges. “Those arrested in Crystal City, Texas include the mayor, the city attorney who is also the city manager, two current councilmen, and a former councilman.”
- Reps introduce bill requiring women to register for draft | Fox News
It would be better to get rid of selective service registration altogether; but if that isn’t on the menu, then this is the way to go.
- Anti-transgender bathroom bills are clearly unconstitutional.
FWIW, “Scott Skinner-Thompson is an acting assistant professor at NYU School of Law.”
- This Is How Hillary Clinton Gets the Coverage She Wants
I’m not posting this as an anti-Clinton thing, since I’m sure a lot of politicians do the same thing. But the press shouldn’t be acting like this.
- Feminism Finally Destroyed After YouTuber Posts 478th Video Criticising It
- Why Hamilton is the Perfect Mashup for Every Fandom | Tor.com