- On Taste
“Having taste tends to make you dislike popular things and to dislike more things. This is, I think, because taste does not so much change the things you care about as give you more things to care about.”
- Six Women Say a Seattle Man Posed as a Female Porn Recruiter in Order to Lure Them to His Apartment for Sex. What Can the Law Do About It?
- Angry Trump fans call for ‘Muslim social justice warrior’ Paul Ryan to resign
This makes it official: “SJW” literally means “anyone to the speaker’s left who criticizes bigotry.”
- Why you should be legally required to vote
I also think that a government that is voted on by more of the population has more moral legitimacy (all else held equal).
- Feminism Proving Popular With Men After Being Re-Released In Tactical Matte Black – Point & Clickbait
Thanks to Grace for the link.
- Vote Prohibition Party
“The Prohibition Party, a part of our nation’s history, is endangered! With your vote, you can help strengthen America’s oldest third party.”
- Taming the Global Supply Chain: A Statement of Principles – Lawyers, Guns & Money : Lawyers, Guns & Money
And further comment here by Brian O’Neil.
- Thiel and Speech
“If a billionaire can come up with enough cases that are plausible enough to not get thrown out, any media company can be bankrupted defending themselves. Unlike with 1st Amendment cases, there is no legal or constitutional recourse.”
- The Scientist Who Talks to ISIS – The Chronicle of Higher Education
- At Profiles Theatre the drama—and abuse—is real | Feature | Chicago Reader
- Don’t Overthink It: Donald Trump Will Probably Lose | New Republic
- Story time. So back in my youth I was this little nerd…
- United States of Paranoia: They See Gangs of Stalkers – The New York Times
“The group was organized around the conviction that its members are victims of a sprawling conspiracy to harass thousands of everyday Americans with mind-control weapons and armies of so-called gang stalkers.” (Indirect link.)
- Choosing a School for My Daughter in a Segregated City – The New York Times Magazine
Interesting longform article about the ongoing problem of segregated schools in Brooklyn. (Indirect link.)
- Confession Booth | Amber A’Lee Frost
A critical look at We Believe You, a book collecting survivors’ stories of campus rape. I don’t agree with all of it, but it makes good points.
- Trump vs. Clinton on Orlando attack – Business Insider
“The speeches Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump gave on Monday in response to the Orlando, Florida, terrorist attack laid out the key distinction in visions between the two candidates.”
- Our Worst Presidents Came In With A Lot Of Experience | FiveThirtyEight
There doesn’t seem to be any significant correlation between a President having past governmental experience, and how highly historians rank their administration.
- Harvard Study Confirms Media’s Role In Trump’s Political Rise
- Stop. Using. Periods. Period. – The Washington Post
Apparently in text messages, among some people, using a period at the end of a sentence is considered rude. Live and learn
- Deadliest Mass Shootings – Lawyers, Guns & Money : Lawyers, Guns & Money
It takes nothing away from the tragedy in Florida to realize that there have been even deadlier shootings, usually perpetrated against Native Americans.
- Apartment Building Attempts To Coerce Tenants Into Crazy Social Media Policy Post-Lease | Techdirt
And I’m sure some of the attempts were successful. This isn’t the government, but it is an example of how private actors threaten free speech.
- The zombie wildfires have awakened in Alaska | Grist
- The IMF says neoliberalism was oversold.
- How Venezuela’s socialist dream collapsed into a nightmare – Vox
- The Trucker, His Downfall, and the US Economy – Sociological Images
- Extreme Close-Ups of the Human Eye | Bored Panda
I just find it so cool that eyes in close-up look lacey.
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
- This Is So Gay
Poetry Friday - This Way to the Egress
9 hours ago
- Election Law Blog
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- Lawyers Guns and Money
They were practiced at the art of deception
11 hours ago
Spider science lurches fitfully forward!
12 hours ago
- The Incidental Economist
- Dollars and Sense
The Pixel 5: Why I Got One + First Impressions
15 hours ago
- Love, Joy, Feminism
- Family Inequality
The Stolen Child — Page 2
2 days ago
- Asking The Wrong Questions
Piranesi by Susanna Clarke
2 days ago
- Thing of Things
- Dances With Fat
Five Types of Medical Weight Stigma
4 days ago
- Crooked Timber
- This Is So Gay
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets