Open Thread and Link Farm, Aged Typewriter Edition
- For My Son, In The Event That The Police Leave You Fatherless
- Confidential Informants – CBS News
Police unfairly pressure kids in their late teens or early twenties to wear a wire, in some cases leading to the informant being murdered.
- Mortality inequality: The good news from a county-level approach
“… the health of the next generation in the poorest areas of the US has improved significantly and the race gap has declined significantly. Underlying explanations include declines in the prevalence of smoking and improved nutrition, and a major cause is social policies that target the most disadvantaged.” I’m not sure how they established that last bit.
- Travesties in Criminal Justice That Are Mostly Ignored – The Atlantic
“The criminal justice system is the part of society least affected by the Civil Rights Movement. 95 percent of all elected prosecutors in this country are white.”
- New study proves fetal tissue needed for research | Dr. Jen Gunter
The title is a stretch, but she still makes some good points.
- Clarence Thomas Has His Own Constitution – The New Yorker
“He is so convinced of the wisdom of his approach to the law that he rejects practically the whole canon of constitutional law. It’s an act of startling self-confidence, but a deeply isolating one as well.”
- New Jersey declares a state of emergency over its crummy roads – The Washington Post
“…responsibility lies with the majority of people of New Jersey who don’t want to pay for one of the most basic amenities of modern society. In a democracy you get the roads you deserve.”
- Here’s How To Do Free Trade Right | Mother Jones
- The Typical College Student Is Not Who You Think It Is – The Atlantic
Our cultural image of the typical college student is wildly unrepresentative.
- Abigail Fisher Isn’t an Asian American | Reappropriate
“Justice Alito mentions white people only ten times in his fifty-one page dissent, and not once does he use the word in reference to Fisher herself. Yet the words ‘Asian American’ appear sixty-two times in his dissent. […] Asian Americans have become a proxy group for white Americans.”
- The Anti-Abortion Movement’s Fetal Imaginings
Images of third-trimester fetuses, or even born babies, are used to discuss the vast majority of abortions – even though most happen in the first eight weeks.
- There are too many lawyers in politics. Here’s what to do about it. – Vox
- Military Ends Transgender Ban
- Sexual harassment and public shaming in the academy | The Incidental Economist
A case where public shaming might be an appropriate response.
- Federal Court: The Fourth Amendment Does Not Protect Your Home Computer | Electronic Frontier Foundation
- The Most Liable Place On Earth: Disney Faces Strong Tort Claim In Child’s Death | JONATHAN TURLEY
- Textbooks and the Civil Rights Movement – Lawyers, Guns & Money
“We should replace this limited narrative, these scholars argue, with one of ‘The Long Civil Rights Movement,’ a national Black freedom struggle rooted in struggles of the 1930s and extended through the 1970s…”
- Massachusetts School Sued Over The Use of “Commonwealth” In Its Name | JONATHAN TURLEY
For your rage-reading needs.
- Unfree Labor in American Seafood – Lawyers, Guns & Money
- The interesting thing that happened when Kansas cut taxes and California hiked them – The Washington Post
- Deriving evil, with reason
“…if you wake up every morning to listen to right-wing talk radio, or Fox News, or to read Stormfront or white nationalist literature, the inputs to your mind are all skewed. Those outlets are committed to presenting a terrifying picture of the world, in which you, your family, your tribe, your race, your whole damn species is in peril.”
- This congresswoman wants the rich to take drug tests to get their tax breaks – Vox
- A Very Brief Timeline of the Bathroom Wars | Mother Jones
“The culture war is one of our grandest achievements of the past half century.”
- New Obamacare Rule Prohibits Discrimination Against Transgender Patients
- Zootopia – A Physical Accessibility Near-Utopia – Scrappy Deviation
- Ex-Fox News Host Gretchen Carlson Sues Roger Ailes For Sexual Harassment
Striking example of how even great career success and prestige aren’t proof against sexual harassment. UPDATE: Six More Women Allege Ailes Sexual Harassment — NYMag
- Hillary Clinton just borrowed Bernie Sanders’s big idea on college costs – Vox
Another example of why it’s good for there to be a left-wing challenger in Democratic primaries.
- This dude freaking out over a chicken sandwich is a Men’s Rights Reddit thread come to life :: We Hunted The Mammoth
Often when I read the ruder MRAs and cringe I think “well, I’m sure he wouldn’t act that way off the net.” Then I see a video like this… And you know, I hope he’s embarrassed by this video. I think his behavior deserves mockery. But I hope nobody doxxes him and then spends years harassing him.
This entry posted in Link farms. Bookmark the permalink.