- Getting real about bad advice | language: a feminist guide
Why advice to women to change how they speak is misguided. Via Grace, who says “It takes awhile to get there (while making other good points, mind you), but at the end, it makes a really good point about why recognizing and understanding structural inequalities is important.”
- Police Body-Worn Cameras Are Making Departments More Powerful – The Atlantic
- Scientists reveal most accurate depiction of a dinosaur ever created | Elsa Panciroli | Science | The Guardian
- Why Dieting Can Rarely (If Ever) Be Body Positive | Bustle
- Is fat-shaming Donald Trump a fair response to his misogyny?
Their answer (and mine): No.
- “This is Us” Fails To Unpack The Tragic Fat Girl Trope At All And It’s Super Bumming Me Out – Medium
- In defense of the “imagine she was your sister” argument, and a partial rebuttal.
- When a Worker Freezes to Death in a Walk-In Freezer at the Westin Peachtree Plaza Hotel in Downtown Atlanta
- Trump used $258,000 from his charity to settle legal problems – The Washington Post
He also bought himself hugely expensive things from his charity, bought advertising for his hotel with his charity, etc. He has not, by the way, donated any of his own money to his charity for years; the money comes from other people’s donations. He’s like a cartoon tycoon villain.
- Ingenious Hack for Sketching with Two Point Perspective Using an Elastic String | Colossal
- ‘Birth of a Nation’ actress Gabrielle Union: I cannot take Nate Parker rape allegations lightly – LA Times
- Middle School Students Push for a Gender-Neutral Dress Code—And Win | Bitch Media
- I love this little two-page comic about time travel by Bouletcorp.
- High Hitler: how Nazi drug abuse steered the course of history | Books | The Guardian
- Asking the Wrong Questions: Tales of the City: Thoughts on Luke Cage
Nussbaum, like me, has a very mixed reaction to Luke Cage. The show does everything so well – except for the story. But the things it does right (mainly, the complete centering of a black and brown community at every level) are so rare to see in the superhero genre that it overwhelms the things it does wrong.
- Jeffrey Tambor, Coming Out, and “The Most Important Time To Be An Artist” – Medium
Interesting story from a writer who took an acting workshop for trans actors taught by Tambor.
- Wealthy black kids more likely to go to prison than poor white kids | NOLA.com
- Why Trump Answered the Wrong Question on Race
Really interesting take, especially on how Black communities are simultaneously over and under policed. Thanks to Mandolin for the link.
- “I don’t know how to describe this .gif of a mcdonald’s fight on rideau street except to say that at one point, someone pulls out a raccoon.”
- It’s Easy for Obamacare Critics to Overlook the Merits of Medicaid Expansion – The New York Times
- Female Chief Terminates 850 Child Marriages in Malawi and Sends Girls Back to School | Viral Women
- ‘Sesame Street’ Afghan Spin-Off’s Puppet Deals With Feminism and Racism — And Trolls
- A universal basic income could wind up hurting the poor and helping the rich — Quartz
- Greg Rucka on Queer Narrative and WONDER WOMAN | Comicosity
Rucka is the current writer of the WW comic.
- Attorney general to ignore new report finding that commonly-used forensics are bogus.
I’m really not confident in DA’s ability to discern when evidence isn’t scientifically justified.
- Employees at Trump’s California golf course say he wanted to fire women who weren’t pretty enough – Los Angeles Times
Also, here’s my contribution to a different thread of the discussion.