- The battle over the Dakota Access Pipeline, explained – Vox
- Donate to the Standing Rock Medic + Healer Council
- It’s time to kill the $100 bill – The Washington Post and, by the same author (Larry Summers), India just made a big mistake with its currency ban – The Washington Post. An interesting issue that I’ve never thought about before – high-value currency fosters crime, but getting rid of it has to be done the right way.
- Harry Potter and the Conscience of a Liberal – The Baffler
A bit of a long read, but interesting, about the moderate-liberal Rowling versus how Harry Potter’s more radical fans interpret the Potter books.
- Was Lee Harvey Oswald Just a Bad Shot? | Mother Jones
Like Kevin, I have no clue if this is a reasonable argument or not. Anyone know?
- Please don’t try to get screenings of The Red Pill cancelled :: We Hunted The Mammoth
- The inexplicably ubiquitous phenomenon of ‘woods porn’ | Dangerous Minds
- Sex, death and aliens: a feminist watches ‘Arrival’ | language: a feminist guide
Spoiler alert! But interesting stuff.
- Self-Driving Trucks Are a Canary in the Coal Mine | Mother Jones
- Big Farms Are Getting Bigger And Most Small Farms Aren’t Really Farms At All | FiveThirtyEight
- Whimsical Storybook Beasts and Birds Illustrated by Vorja Sánchez
Those illustrations near the bottom of the post, of people affectionately holding monsters, are gorgeous.
- Oregonians: Do you want pavement or gravel & dust? You decide. – BlueOregon
- Right-Wing Media Misquoted a Gay University Official and Tried to Get Him Fired – WATCH
- 5 Huge Driverless Car Problems (Besides The Obvious Ones)
Will driverless cars kill radio?
- A Brilliant Version of Pink Floyd’s ‘Another Brick in the Wall’ Played on a Traditional Korean Gayageum
- The North Pole is an insane 36 degrees warmer than normal as winter descends – The Washington Post
- Clickclickclickclick is sort of brilliant. I won’t describe it, just go check it out. Have the sound on.
- Street photographer’s fantastic series of “then and now” photos
I’m oddly fascinated by this genre of photos.
- NASA Team Claims ‘Impossible’ Space Engine Works — Get the Facts
“The long-standing catch is that the EmDrive seemingly defies the laws of classical physics, so even if it’s doing what the team claims, scientists still aren’t sure how the thing actually works.”
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
Small Business Saturday: Ocean’s Originals
4 hours ago
One rule for you, one for me
6 hours ago
- Lawyers Guns and Money
Liberty University Unzipped
8 hours ago
- Election Law Blog
- The Incidental Economist
Reopening Schools in the Age of COVID
18 hours ago
- Love, Joy, Feminism
- Thing of Things
ITT Poly: Pro #8
- Dances With Fat
- This Is So Gay
Light Your Faith
- We Hunted the Mammoth
Mag Mell That Ends Well — Page 25
3 days ago
- Long Story; Short Pier
3 days ago
- Asking The Wrong Questions
- Crooked Timber
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets