- Former congressional staffers have written a practical how-to guide, based on Tea Party tactics, for getting your members of Congress to resist Trump.
- That viral graph about millennials’ declining support for democracy? It’s very misleading. – The Washington Post
A 12-panel comic about women who painted radium onto watch faces.
- Sometimes There Are More Important Goals Than Civility – The Atlantic
I like this article, but I disagree with the author implicitly accepting the right-wing framing that to speak about racism (etc) is inherently uncivil.
- Prejudice, “Political Correctness,” and the Normalization of Donald Trump – Medium
Really excellent discussion of “political correctness” from Julia Serano.
- The Myopic Empiricism of the Minimum Wage, Bryan Caplan | EconLog | Library of Economics and Liberty
I think this is the best argument against the evidence from the “minimum wages do increase unemployment” camp I’ve seen. I’m not persuaded by it, but it was interesting.
- The FBI Is Investigating Me Because I Tweeted A Joke About Fake News | The Huffington Post
- Texas Publishes ‘Objective’ Abortion Informational Brochure That Cites False Cancer Link
- The Next Battles Over Voting Rights – The Atlantic
- Men do not enjoy debauchery of stag dos, study finds | Life and style | The Guardian
- How Often Do Women Rape Men? – The Atlantic And also, a collection of reader responses, as readers tell their own stories.
- A webpage for providing help to male survivors of sexual assault.
- Austerity policies are supported by the finance world, not by most mainstream economists.
- Congress has spent 15 months “investigating” Planned Parenthood using McCarthy-like tactics – Vox
And, very similarly:
- The House science committee is worse than the Benghazi committee – Vox
Republicans using Congress’ powers to harass climate scientists. And now that they have unfettered power, it’s likely this will get worse.
- Student protestors call “Boys Don’t Cry” director a bitch.
This is gross. Criticizing her work and process is fair; but meanness and harassment – and the use of misogynistic slurs – are not.
- The Feminist Message of the Dudes in Force Awakens | The Mary Sue
- Lawyer: Reno Boy Shot by School Cop Had Been Bullied, Beaten – ABC News
- Giving poor people cash gets them to spend more on good stuff and less on tobacco and alcohol — Quartz
- Donald Trump is right: Free trade is broken, but his “fix” would only make things worse. — Quartz
- The awful history of the minimum wage.
I think the minimum wage is a good policy – but many of its original proponents were racists.
- Ode to the Unsayable by Keith Leonard | Tupelo Quarterly
I liked this poem a lot.
- The Defense of Liberty Can’t Do Without Identity Politics – Niskanen Center
- Hate’s Insidious Face: UW-Milwaukee and the “Alt-Right” | Overpass Light Brigade
Milo took the time to single out a trans student for public sneering and mockery, and act that was not only cruel but dangerous. (The student happened to be in the auditorium at the time; anything could have happened if she’d been recognized.) Major content warning on that link for transphobia, obviously. There’s a movement to revoke his speaking invitation next month in Seattle; I hope they succeed.
- I really like (and perhaps somewhat resemble) the “Wells For Boys” commercial from SNL.
- Older »
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
Alas, a Blogroll
- Election Law Blog
- Lawyers Guns and Money
A Ticking Bomb
2 hours ago
- We Hunted the Mammoth
Republican chaos open thread
20 hours ago
- The Incidental Economist
- Asking The Wrong Questions
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets