- There Is Only One Way Out of This Crisis: Expand the Court | The Nation
“Win the Senate. Win the White House. Pass a bill expanding the court. That is how democracies work. And if Republicans win in the future and pass a different bill and add even more seats, so be it. That is also how democracies work.”
- Kidnapping: A Very Efficient Business | by Anne Diebel | The New York Review of Books
- GOP Leaders Are Using Weasel Words To Avoid Rejecting Trump’s Attempted Coup | Washington Monthly
- Does Anyone Really Change Their Votes? – POLITICO
Among many other tidbits: Some independent voters are more partisan than the partisan voters.
- Opinion | Correcting the misinformation about Breonna Taylor – Radley Balko, The Washington Post
- How Democrats Are Preparing for Postelection Chaos – The Atlantic
In 2000 Republican thugs took to the streets to stop votes from being counted, while Al Gore stayed above it all. That won’t happen again.
- What Joe Biden Can Learn From Jimmy Carter – The American Prospect
Arguing that we need to greatly expand the number of judgeships, which used to expand with the population but haven’t in decades, causing courts to be seriously overburdened. And also a chance to restore some of the Carter-era diversity in who gets to be judges that Trump and others have undone.
- Judith Butler on the culture wars, JK Rowling and living in “anti-intellectual times”This Judith Butler interview – in which Butler adroitly and politely identifies and deflates the anti-trans assumptions hidden in the interviewer’s questions – is a joy to read.
- Christian Kroger employees sue for being forced to wear a heart on their uniform. They say it’s gay. / LGBTQ Nation
The heart has like three colors on it, so they’ve decided it’s a rainbow, I guess?
- Democratic insiders set up a ‘war room’ to quickly kill the filibuster
I find it interesting (and hopeful) that Harry Reid is now on the “kill it” side, although I wish he’d come to that conclusion 11 years ago.
- Legend of Korra is on Netflix: A look at its messy, complicated legacy – Vox
I love Korra, but I have to admit that Avatar was a better show, mainly on the strength of better writing.
- Why You Should Trade Body Positivity For Fat Acceptance
“…body positivity has forgotten its radical and political roots from when it first started as the fat acceptance movement.”
- Policing Is the Wrong Tactic for a Disease That Preys on Inequality
- Supreme Court: Why did liberals win so often in a conservative Court? – Vox
Of course, if they succeed in getting a new justice seated to replace RBG, it’ll all become much easier for them.
- The Black American Amputation Epidemic
“‘So what happens when a patient comes in and can’t afford a procedure that’s limb salvage? They eventually lose their limbs. They’ll present back to the emergency room with a rotten foot.’ And a surgeon would have no choice but to amputate.”
- Opinion | A ‘Safety Net’ That’s a Kafkaesque Mess – The New York Times And an alternate link.
“Looking at the mess facing S.S.I. recipients who try to work, one feels that a terrible mistake has been made. But history tells a different story: this Kafkaesque nightmare was a deliberate choice.”
- Black Homeowners Face Discrimination in Appraisals – The New York Times And an alternate link.
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
- This Is So Gay
Poetry Friday - This Way to the Egress
9 hours ago
- Election Law Blog
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- Lawyers Guns and Money
They were practiced at the art of deception
10 hours ago
Spider science lurches fitfully forward!
12 hours ago
- The Incidental Economist
- Dollars and Sense
The Pixel 5: Why I Got One + First Impressions
14 hours ago
- Love, Joy, Feminism
- Family Inequality
The Stolen Child — Page 2
2 days ago
- Asking The Wrong Questions
Piranesi by Susanna Clarke
2 days ago
- Thing of Things
- Dances With Fat
Five Types of Medical Weight Stigma
4 days ago
- Crooked Timber
- This Is So Gay
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets