- Bell v Tavistock quashed on appeal – Gendered Intelligence Blog
Some extremely good news from the UK.
- The EU is Praised for Vaccine “Donations.” Behind Closed Doors, It Quietly Blocks Poor Countries’ Efforts to Increase Vaccine Manufacturing. – by Sarah Lazare – The Column
“’Global vaccine apartheid’ isn’t some theoretical future danger. It is the most accurate way to describe a situation where the U.S. is debating booster shots while only 3.27% of the entire continent of Africa has been fully vaccinated.”
- COVID and the moral panic over obesity – Lawyers, Guns & Money
As is usually the case, the actual numbers are much more nuanced, and show that the large majority of fat people have – well, not nothing to worry about, Covid is still frightening, but no more to worry about than non-fat people.
- On Voting Rights, There Are No Moderates in the GOP – Democracy Docket
I’m so much more appalled by the GOP’s anti-voting-rights stance, then by their many other horrific stances, because it’s so foundational. Without democracy, it’s hard to see how ANY issue can advance without violence.
- What if the US didn’t go to war in Afghanistan after 9/11? – Responsible Statecraft
- Whitest paint in world created at Purdue, may help curb global warming
“The paint reflects 98.1% of solar radiation while also emitting infrared heat. Because the paint absorbs less heat from the sun than it emits, a surface coated with this paint is cooled below the surrounding temperature without consuming power.”
- The evidence for violence interrupters doesn’t support the hype – Vox
- Eyebombing Bulgaria (7 photos) | STREET ART UTOPIA
An artist and a group of schoolkids look for shapes that can be improved with eyes.
- The heritability fallacy
“Contrary to popular belief, the measurable heritability of a trait does not tell us how ‘genetically inheritable’ that trait is. Further, it does not inform us about what causes a trait, the relative influence of genes in the development of a trait, or the relative influence of the environment in the development of a trait.”
- One Woman’s Mission to Rewrite Nazi History on Wikipedia | WIRED
“When she goes to the cited page, she finds a paragraph that appears to confirm all the Wikipedia article’s wild claims. But then she reads the first sentence of the next paragraph: “This is, of course, nonsense.””
- The Roberts Court Has Normalized Racism in America | Balls and Strikes“As Roberts and his colleagues have normalized this insidious racism, too many Democrats have remained deferential to the Court, fearful of “politicizing” an institution that, in reality, has always been political, and has led the charge in right-wing, partisan warfare. We can’t delude ourselves any longer.”
- A Pennsylvania community is divided over anti-racism book ban at school board meeting; – CNN
“The fact that all the banned materials are by or about people of color is just a coincidence, according to Jane Johnson, the school board president.” Gosh, what a surprising coincidence that is.
- Texas GOP sees Haitian migrant border crisis as a political opportunity – But it’s actually a humanitarian disaster exacerbated by Biden.
The racist fear-mongering by the GOP is unsurprising. Biden’s continuation of Trump’s cruel policies is just as disgusting, though.
- A Modern Feminist Classic Changed My Life. Was It Actually Garbage? Rereading Naomi Wolf’s The Beauty Myth 30 years later.
- US officials to probe whip-like cords used against migrants | Human Rights News | Al Jazeera
- Opinion | It’s All or Nothing for These Democrats, Even if That Means Biden Fails – The New York Times. And an alternate link.
“What is true of both explanations is that they show the extent to which moderate Democrats have made a fetish of bipartisan displays and anti-partisan feeling. And in doing so, they reveal that they are most assuredly not the adults in the room of American politics.”
- The art accompanying this link farm comes from Jack Kirby’s comics adaptation of the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
- Lawyers Guns and Money
Unearned moralists disgrace themselves yet again
about an hour ago
- Election Law Blog
- The Incidental Economist
- We Hunted the Mammoth
The former A Voice for Men point man for “Judicial Accountability” was just arrested in Scotland, where he reportedly fled to escape rape and fraud charges in the US after faking his own death
- Female Gazing
- Rachel Swirsky
Cat Drawing! Wander Face
4 days ago
- Dollars and Sense
- Long Story; Short Pier
2 weeks ago
- Language: A Feminist Guide
- Family Inequality
Talking about generations with Jean Twenge
2 weeks ago
- This Is So Gay
- Asking The Wrong Questions
- Whipping Girl
- Scott Wood Makes Lists
- Ta-nehisi Coates
The Man Who Freed Me From Cant
3 months ago
- Lawyers Guns and Money
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets