- Breaking Rocks, then Breaking Out: On “Freedomville: The Story of a 21st-Century Slave Revolt”
“When we remove violence as a legitimate response to oppression, we condone the notion that the state has the only legitimate right to use force, and we exonerate those non-state elite actors who disregard that notion themselves and enact violence with impunity nonetheless.”
- Free Returns Are Complicated, Laborious, and Gross – The Atlantic
Without really giving it any thought, I’d always supposed that returned stuff that’s basically new is resold as new. Nope.
- Facebook banned me for life because I created a tool that lets people control what they see on Facebook.
They also used a lawsuit threat to force him to take his tool – a browser plug-in – off the web. Horrifying.
- Bring on the Publicity Trolls: Federal Appeal Court Ruling Drastically Undermines Online Speech | Electronic Frontier Foundation
The ruling in effect means that social media companies can be sued if their users post something violating someone’s “right of publicity” under any state law.
- Artist tattoos over 70 people to recreate scene from Betty Boop film | SWNS – YouTube
This is just super cool. Thanks to my niece Sydney (who I’m sure does not read this blog) for pointing it out to me.
- Opinion | The ‘New York Times of the right’ is … the New York Times – The Washington Post
“Carlson, for instance, isn’t going to send an investigative team to probe a drone strike in some far-off land; he has no such team, so he relies on the Times.”
- The Methods of Moral Panic Journalism – by Michael Hobbes
Really well-done debunking of the “cancel culture crisis” genre of article.
- Elephants born without tusks in ‘evolutionary response’ to violent poachers
“However, it is not all good news. The trait [tusklessness] is only seen in female elephants and researchers said that genetic sequencing shows that the trait is linked to a mutation in the X chromosome, which can be fatal to male elephants in the womb.”
- Protocols, Not Platforms: A Technological Approach to Free Speech | Knight First Amendment Institute
I’m a little suspicious of “magic bullet” solutions – they generally don’t work as completely as their advocates expect. But I think there are some good ideas here. Less power for Twitter and Facebook and more competition to create better interfaces both sound good. I do think having a thousand different moderation schemes that people can choose between is the best way to go, from a maximizing free speech perspective.
- Why Japan Looks the Way it Does: Zoning – YouTube
Multi-use zoning doesn’t mean no-rules zoning. Interesting, I mean, I found it interesting, anyway, if someone else says “objectively that’s boring” I’m not sure I’d have a good counterargument.
- Why is the idea of ‘gender’ provoking backlash the world over? | Judith Butler | The Guardian
“… there is no one concept of gender, and gender studies is a complex and internally diverse field that includes a wide range of scholars. It does not deny sex, but it does tend to ask about how sex is established, through what medical and legal frameworks, how that has changed through time, and what difference it makes to the social organization of our world to disconnect the sex assigned at birth from the life that follows…”
- Photos in this post are by Patrick Boucher and Ksenia Yakovleva.
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
- Election Law Blog
- Lawyers Guns and Money
Will Russia Invade Ukraine?
4 hours ago
Reminder: livestream a little later this morning
13 hours ago
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- Rachel Swirsky
- The Incidental Economist
- Family Inequality
- Asking The Wrong Questions
Recent Movie Roundup 36
2 weeks ago
- This Is So Gay
Exchanging the Truth for a Lie
2 weeks ago
- Long Story; Short Pier
3 weeks ago
- Dollars and Sense
November/December 2021 Issue
4 weeks ago
- Ta-nehisi Coates
The Man Who Freed Me From Cant
4 weeks ago
- Brute Reason
This Doesn’t Have To Be the End
4 weeks ago
- Whipping Girl
- Language: A Feminist Guide
3 months ago
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets