- Democrats Are Facing Doom—And No One Seems To Even Have Any Suggestions
A bad read for lefties who’d like to avoid feeling hopeless.
- Opinion | What Black cops know about racism in policing – The Washington Post
“But the more profound problem with the argument that the mere existence of Black police officers disproves systemic racism in law enforcement is that it fails to account for the real-life experiences of those same Black officers.”
- The Abortion Underground is Preparing for the End of Roe v Wade
“The van was being bulletproofed, Angela told me. It would then be retrofitted with an ultrasound machine and a gynecological-exam table, so a doctor with a manual vacuum-aspiration device could perform first-trimester abortions inside. Abortion Delivered, which originated in Minnesota, planned to dispatch the van—and a second one, stocked with abortion pills—to just outside the Texas border.”
- California can’t be a haven for others until it builds more housing for everyone (and alternative link).
“California wants to be a haven for abortion-seekers, trans people seeking gender-affirming care, refugees seeking safety. But its heart is writing checks its housing element can’t cash.”
- Detransition as Conversion Therapy: A Survivor Speaks Out | by Ky Schevers | An Injustice!”
There is nothing wrong with recognizing that transitioning can be traumatic for some individuals or that it’s possible for a lesbian to identify as a man and transition as result of internalized homophobia. The problem is claiming that transitioning is inherently harmful or that all transmasculine people are really self-hating lesbians.”
- Phenakistoscopes (1833) – The Public Domain Review An article about one of the earliest forms of animation. And here’s a YouTube video of some phenakistoscopes in action.
- Chicago Synagogue Excoriated For Shift From ‘Non’ to ‘Anti’ Zionism — Maybe the Problem isn’t the ‘Anti’ But the ‘Zionism’ | Religion Dispatches
” Now, of course, by debating the very meaning of Zionism itself we can also debate what the non or anti prefix actually means. My interest, however, is a bit different; to explore the function of non or anti in relation to what Zionism means, and why those prefixes cause so much anxiety for those who don’t require a prefix at all—that is, for those who simply identify as ‘Zionists.'”
A five-minute documentary created mostly by non-speaking autistic people, who are frustrated by the assumption that because they don’t speak they have nothing to say.
- Rats to the rescue: Rodents are being trained to go into earthquake debris to find survivors | Daily Mail Online
Some nice photos at that link. This is neat and I hope it works, but I just can’t get over how surreal it would be, to be buried in earthquake debris and maybe only half-conscious and a rat with a backpack shows up and a voice is like “hello?”
- The Price Kids Pay: Schools and police punish students with costly tickets for minor misbehavior – Chicago Tribune
- Jury foreman pleads for leniency in murder case where the DA manipulated the law to take self-defense off the table
- The Tragedy of “The Tragedy of the Commons” – Scientific American Blog Network
“The man who wrote one of environmentalism’s most-cited essays was a racist, eugenicist, nativist and Islamaphobe — plus his argument was wrong.”
- Burrito tape: Students invent edible adhesive to seal tortilla | WGN-TV
Seems like a great idea to me.
- Morocco is caught in the Patrilineal Trap
Very interesting twitter thread with lots of photos. Travelling through Morocco with a feminist eye, talking to women there about job opportunities and harassment.
- Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal – Liberal Education
I enjoyed this (long for a cartoon, but still quite short) very cynical (but also rather idealistic) cartoon about the value of liberal education.
- Yascha Mounk and Sam Koppelman discuss what kinds of reforms are (and aren’t) necessary to fix American democracy.
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
- Long Story; Short Pier
A good reality will parry the blow
2 hours ago
- Lawyers Guns and Money
- RH Reality Check
- Female Gazing
12 hours ago
- The Incidental Economist
An Interview with Michael Stein
15 hours ago
Fire, 250,000 years ago
17 hours ago
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- Asking The Wrong Questions
- Spherical Bullshit
- Family Inequality
- Whipping Girl
- Ann Leckie's Blog
- Rachel Swirsky
Pete in a Pot
2 months ago
- Scott Wood Makes Lists
- Language: A Feminist Guide
Is this what a feminist looks like?
3 months ago
- Brute Reason
You Have to Catch All of Them
3 months ago
- Long Story; Short Pier
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets