- Banning LGBT+ content will not make you happy…
“… your actual problem is that you can’t stand the fact that people who are not you can be happy.” Thanks to Grace for the link!
- It Only Takes One Parent to Get All The Graphic Novels Removed From a School Library
“All graphic novels in the school library’s collection were recalled after parent Tim Reiland took issue with the school letting his teenage daughter borrow Blankets, an autobiographical coming-of-age story by Craig Thompson about questioning blind faith in a fundamentalist Christian household.”
- Parent Calls Bible ‘PORN’ and Demands Utah School District Remove It From Libraries
“I thank the Utah Legislature and Utah Parents United for making this bad faith process so much easier and way more efficient.”
- Parents raise concerns as Florida bans gender-affirming care for trans kids.
“… you’re basically being told that your child shouldn’t be able to be who they are, and that it would be better if they didn’t exist in the way that you, medical professionals, and the child who is thriving, feel is best for the child.”
- Rebuilding the Closet – An und für sich
“The political strategy of the “closet” was to require those people who exist in the more liminal spaces to hide, then relentlessly stigmatize and persecute the people for whom conformity was simply never going to be an option.”
- After train disaster, Tucker Carlson falsifies East Palestine’s plight – The Washington Post
“Ever since the Feb. 3 disaster, Carlson and his comrades have sought to transform East Palestine’s plight into a tale about “woke” Democrats abandoning White communities in the virtuous, forgotten heartland.”
- He deported thousands of people at the border, then learned he was undocumented | CNN
He seems to have no regrets about his own actions, though; he just thinks it’s unfair that HE gets deported because he’s a veteran.
- ‘Shuffle Along’ and the Lost History of Black Performance in America
Excellent long essay about the groundbreaking 1921 musical with an all-Black creative team, the recent sort-of revival of it, and the history surrounding the 1921 musical. The best essay I’ve read this year by the author of one of the best essays I’ve ever read, “The Ballad of Geeshie and Elvie.” (Alternate link.)
- An Overlooked Detail in the Scott Adams and Dilbert Story
The okay sign, “it’s okay to be white,” and white supremacists.
- Fascinating thread from Amanda Knox about how she came to accept her life as a falsely convicted person in prison.
- The obsession cis people have with trans people’s genitals is out of control | Xtra Magazine
“Mistaking “jeans” for “penis” is an easy thing for someone’s brain to do when it’s obsessively focusing on the latter word.”
- Stop Saying We Only Bailout the Rich
“In wake of massive pandemic spending, it’s inaccurate economics – and it’s also dumb, terrible political messaging.”
- Why Is The Latinx Debate So Fierce?
“Whether the terms Latinx and Latine become widely adopted or not, both resist the urge to fall in line with the collective “o” in Latino and both enforce the idea that trans people do, in fact, exist in our communities.”
- What is life? Scientists still can’t agree.
My takeaway: The Amazon Molly is cool.
- T rex had lips. (Maybe.)
“A new study says the T. rex family looked more like lizards, with scaly lips covering and sealing their mouths when closed.” But some scientists disagree! This is an area of passionate debate, which I find delightful.
- The photos are by David Clode and Ray Harrington, and were found on Unsplash.
- Older »
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
Alas, a Blogroll
- Election Law Blog
- Lawyers Guns and Money
A Ticking Bomb
2 hours ago
- We Hunted the Mammoth
Republican chaos open thread
20 hours ago
- The Incidental Economist
- Asking The Wrong Questions
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets