- Trumpcare will probably kill thousands. That’s neither uncivil nor alarmist to say.
- Better Suggestions for Democrats who want to Win Elections | Noah Berlatsky on Patreon
And see also Noah’s followup post, Love the One You’re With.
- AP Analysis: Gerrymandering gave Republicans advantage in House, state elections
- Democrats are still obsessed with Jill Stein. They should start obsessing over nonvoters instead.
- KING: 2 Supreme Court rulings must change to end police brutality – NY Daily News
“As long Tennessee v. Garner and Graham v. Connor stand as law, police brutality will be protected. That’s the bottom line.”
- Prosecutors are the ones most able to hold cops accountable.
Which makes it a shame that they have so little motivation to ever hold cops accountable.
- A liberal think tank just released its own proposal to fix Obamacare – Vox
- Jean “Moebius” Giraud on drawing from the work of other artists, from life, and from photos… – Ragged Claws Network
Brief, but he makes really good points.
- Texas Couple Exonerated 25 Years After Being Convicted of Lurid Crimes That Never Happened
It was a Satanic Panic case. So painful to read about.
- Bridging the Inferential Distance on Desexualization | Thing of Things
Sexual attraction and oppression.
- After the president’s tweet, I must withdraw my support for everything but his agenda – The Washington Post
- Professor fired after defending blacks-only event to Fox News. – The Washington Post
- The Texas Supreme Court just gave a big, fat middle finger to same-sex couples
- Web host agrees to pay $1m after it’s hit by Linux-targeting ransomware | Ars Technica
- Fresh trans myths of 2017: “rapid onset gender dysphoria”
- Here are all the ways Jeff Sessions is wrong about drug sentencing – The Washington Post
And here’s an alternative link.
- California Single-Payer Organizers Are Deceiving Their Supporters. It’s Time to Stop.
According to this article, the CA legislature literally cannot enact single payer, because of the stupid ways the CA tax laws are set up. It would require a ballot measure.
- Watch this person makes a pancake that looks like a human skull – YouTube
- You Say You Want a Single-Payer System: The Canada Health Act
A brief nutshelling of the principles behind the Canadian health care system.
- Julia Serano, Transfeminist Thinker, Talks Trans-Misogyny – The New York Times
- Debunking “Trans Women Are Not Women” Arguments – Julia Serano – Medium
- Fareed Zakaria Says Blaming Immigrants Is the one Thing Right Wing Populists Share – The Atlantic
- Data on Campus Censorship Cases | Thing of Things
“I’d strongly advise against drawing any conclusion from it firmer than ‘censorship of both liberals and conservatives occurs on college campuses, and conservatives probably face more.'”
- (13) Billy Joel – We Didn’t Start The Fire (Historically Accurate Almanac) COMPLETE – YouTube
A fan video to Billy Joel’s “We Didn’t Start The Fire,” with historic footage provided for each of Joel’s over 100 references. Weirdly fascinating.
- BREAKING: Tom Price promises to provide healthcare to millions of undocumented immigrants!* | ACASignups.net
A Trump official is counting undocumented aliens as Americans who Obamacare failed to cover. I agree, I’d love to see them covered.
- Anita Sarkeesian’s astounding ‘garbage human’ moment – Polygon
- Muralist Odeith Crafts Engrossing Illusions | Hi-Fructose Magazine
That’s one of his works at the top of this post.
- A top scientist was asked to downplay facts by EPA chief of staff. | Grist
- Survey: Just 5 percent of economists believe Trump’s big tax promise – The Washington Post
That promise – that tax cuts pay for themselves – is not a Trumpism, but something accepted as true (at least in public) by virtually all high Republican officials.
- Health Care Premiums Have Gone Down Under Obamacare – Mother Jones
- The Supreme Court’s double standard for qualified immunity cases – The Washington Post
Interesting look at a debate between Supreme Court justices.
- Chris Pratt Doesn’t Think Regular Americans Are Represented | The Mary Sue
To be fair, Pratt later took his comment back.
- No-Platforming Only Helps The Person Being No-Platformed Spread Their Message – The Unit of Caring
Worth reading, and I partly endorse this. But the evidence she’s talking about seems to be about violent no-platforming, not no-platforming in general.
- The Democratic Party: Labor’s Frenemy – Lawyers, Guns & Money : Lawyers, Guns & Money
- Jeff Sessions and the Odds of Imprisoning Innocents – The Atlantic
Reforming criminal forensics is essential to reducing the number of false convictions. But Sessions wants to stop reforms.
- Fun with the nasal cycle
Why we have two nostrils.
- Supreme Court unanimously overturns North Carolina’s ban on social-media use by sex offenders – The Washington Post
And I unanimously agree.
- Are Democrats Ready to Push Medicare for All? – Rewire
- “Medicaid-for-all” vs. “Medicare-for-all”. – HealthCommentary
This author argues that Medicare for all is better.
- Medicare-for-All vs. Single Payer: The Impact of Labels | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
- Veiled Lives? Muslim women, headscarves, and manufacturing Islam – Girl w/ Pen
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
A Trip to Stillwater
3 hours ago
- Lawyers Guns and Money
The Court of Death
3 hours ago
- Election Law Blog
Day Two starts off well
10 hours ago
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- The Incidental Economist
The Stolen Child — Page 22
3 days ago
- This Is So Gay
I Don't Mean to be Judgmental, But ...
3 days ago
- Family Inequality
Citizen Scholar: new book under contract
6 days ago
- Crooked Timber
Sunday photoblogging: flag
6 days ago
- The Feminist Librarian
medical update 4.2.2021
2 weeks ago
- Language: A Feminist Guide
What’s in a frame? Misogyny/hate
2 weeks ago
- Long Story; Short Pier
4 weeks ago
- Dollars and Sense
- Dances With Fat
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets