- Is puberty delaying treatment ‘experimental treatment’?
Lengthy, but well argued and worth reading.
- There’s racial bias in our police systems. Here’s the overwhelming proof. – The Washington Post (Alternate link.)
Lengthy list of studies, divided into subject areas.
- Why The “Hoax” Paper of Baldwin Should be Reinstated (pdf file)
A neuroscientist argues that one of the “grievance studies hoax” papers – the one about fat bodybuilding – should be reinstated, and discusses what it means for a paper to be a hoax.
- Cole Carini, Virginia Man Inspired by Incel Killer Elliot Rodger, Was Making Bomb: Feds
It appears that an incel accidentally blew his own hand off while making a bomb for killing “hot cheerleaders. I’m just glad he failed. “Incels” have been linked to at least 53 deaths in recent years.”
- Why Bernie Sanders lost the Democratic primary – Vox
“Americans do not primarily vote as a member of an economic class, but rather as a member of a party and identity group (race, religion, etc.).”
- Leftist Policy Didn’t Lose. Marxist Electoral Theory Did. | Washington Monthly
“The reality is that leftist policy has never been more ascendant in the Democratic Party since at least the 1960s if not the 1930s. The Biden 2020 campaign platform is well to the left of the Clinton 2016 platform, which was itself well to the left of the Obama 2008 platform.”
- A White Woman, Racism, and a Poodle | FranklyWrite
It took her a while to realize why the cops were suddenly pulling her over all the time.
- On TV, Cops Are Always the Main Characters
“TV has long had a police’s-eye perspective that helps shape the way viewers see the world, prioritizing the victories and struggles of police over communities being policed.”
- NYPD Officer Caught Planting Marijuana in a Car — Again
In the second case, the innocent man – who had fresh stitches in his abdomen that the cops opened by throwing him to the ground – took a plea bargain, and I can’t blame him. A recent reform law in NY might help some (for example, by giving defense attorneys timely access to body cam footage), but the cops are lobbying to have the reforms undone. The two cops who have now twice been caught on video planting evidence are still employed, still on patrol.
- How I Defeated the Tolkien Estate – The Toast
“Little did I know I was heading into a legal and scholarly Midgewater when I wrote and published The Lord of the Rings: A New English Translation.” (Thanks to Marnanel!)
- Covid-19 Does Not Discriminate by Body Weight | WIRED
The links between fat and Covid-19 are not nearly as well established as the media has been telling us.
- How U.S. Cities Tried to Halt the Spread of the 1918 Spanish Flu – HISTORY
- The Fine Art of Comics Pantomime, with Little Lulu and Company.A really fun, curated selection of wordless one-page strips by John Stanley. Some lovely cartooning here.
- On Gender Stereotypes | Growing Up Transgender
- Want to know how many people have the coronavirus? Test randomly
They’re not suggesting that ALL testing should be random. They’re suggesting that a small percentage of our overall testing should be used to test a representative sample of 10,000 Americans, in order to get a better picture of what’s going on.
- Sex Work and Stigma: Why Won’t Woke Boys Pay for Sex?
This article is a bit all over the place, and I don’t agree with it all, but it brings up a lot of interesting issues.
- You’re Worrying About the Wrong Bees | WIRED
Mandolin showed me this article – I hadn’t realized how much bee variety there is. Just because honey bees can survive won’t be enough to preserve the bee’s place in the ecosystem.
- Honey Bees Have Gone From Endangered To Dangerous – And That Is A Science Journalism Problem | American Council on Science and Health
Another interesting bee link from Mandolin. “…our use of honey bees as an agricultural tool, moving them from pollination site to pollination site, is equivalent to introducing a new, extensive species into each area.” “Beekeeping is an agrarian activity that should not be confused with wildlife conservation.”
- The Day Treva Throneberry Disappeared
A fascinating and sad multi-year true story.
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
- Election Law Blog
- Lawyers Guns and Money
Monday NatSec Roundup
3 hours ago
One in-box is empty!
4 hours ago
- Long Story; Short Pier
In which, knowing nothing of necromancy
4 hours ago
- The Incidental Economist
Cancer Journal: The PET Scan
5 hours ago
- This Is So Gay
14 hours ago
Two Tweet Threads About Copyright
21 hours ago
- Dances With Fat
- Dollars and Sense
March/April 2021 Issue
4 days ago
- Crooked Timber
The Boys Aren’t Back in Town
4 days ago
- We Hunted the Mammoth
Robert Futrelle, RIP
1 week ago
- Family Inequality
- Love, Joy, Feminism
A Blogger’s Farewell
2 weeks ago
- Language: A Feminist Guide
2 weeks ago
The Stolen Child — Page 17
2 weeks ago
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets